Cultivated Reef

My Biocube 29 -- Underway

myatt

how's that macro working out for you. I have thought about adding to my tank but too afraid of the macro taking over.

how's that macro working out for you. I have thought about adding to my tank but too afraid of the macro taking over.

I actually quite like it. It grows like crazy, but I figure it has to be doing something beneficial....adding oxygen and possibly even doing some natural filtration. I have pods growing in it like crazy; it must be a good habitat for them. I have twice now reached in and yanked some of it out....it was shading my coral. I'm going to get new corals soon, so I'll have to do a heavy pruning then, but otherwise, it's really pretty cool. It sways around in the current, and the fish seem to like chasing each other through it.

i know pods loves em.

Fish always likes swimming through em.

I want some, at some point I will be able.

What type of corals you're planning on adding

New critters came today....wasn't expecting them until next week, with the holiday, but they shipped like normal. It's a good thing I work within a block of home, and I can get away for a bit when I need to.

A firefish goby and a yellow watchman goby are now with the clowns. I also got three peppermint shrimp....I've read that they're not necessarily reef-safe, so my fingers are crossed that they won't cause a problem down the line.

The firefish is out and scoping out his new digs, but the yellow watchman has hidden himself away since being introduced to the tank, as have the peppermint shrimp.

I have some corals scheduled to come next week. I only got two for now....I'm trying to keep everything going slowly; I've had great success so far, and I think it's because I've been patient.

I have a couple of macroalgaes coming, too, from reefcleaners.org. Chaeto for the fuge in the second chamber, a red gracilaria, and a halimeda will be coming from John.

The camera's at work, so I'll try to get pictures in the next few days.

Happy holidays!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Great setup.

I'll be very curious to find out exactly what that macroalgae is; I'm fairly sure it isn't sargassum, I've seen lots of it and it doesn't have little hairs on it, though the leaf edges do have some little spikes. It does grow in some clumps but not quite like those.

All in all though very nice start to a tank.

Thanks for the kind words, YB. The id on the macro was sent to me by someone who'd been looking at www.algaebase.org. The image that he was using for comparison is here - http://www.algaebase.org/search/species/de...species_id=3470 - it really does resemble it, but you're right about the 'fuzzy' business on the leaves. At any rate, I'm liking having it in there. It's easily pruned back, and it adds a lot of movement and interest to the tank.

The corals came....I got an evergreen starburst polyp and a dark green leather. Or at least that's what I ordered. The leather has a real dark purple body, but the polyps are sort of a fluorescent green. That coral is opening up and seems fairly happy. The starburst is just now beginning to make an appearance.

The fish are all well....the firefish is happy as can be....he's always hanging out in the tank. The YWG is a bit more shy, but he does come out at feeding time. They all seem to be eating well. The peppermint shrimp crack me up....they're always out in the tank and go into a frenzy at feeding time.

I've decided that I must have two of the bristleworms (fireworms?). If there's just one of the buggers in there, it's got to be twelve inches. He continues to nibble on the macroalgae, and he's just about decimated part of the red gracilaria. I suppose that if he sticks to eating the algae, I'll leave him alone. If he starts bothering the coral, I'm going to have to find a way to get his @$$ out of there.

I worked this morning, but I forgot to bring the camera home with me. I'll try to get over there tomorrow to pick it up; I need to post updated photos.

Water parameters look good...

phosphate - less than .1

nitrate - 0

nitrite - 0

ammonia - 0

pH - ~8.3

calcium - 450 ppm

specific gravity - 1.025

That's all for now. I'll post updated pics soon.

• 1 year later...

Thanks.....first time I've looked at my thread in a while, and I'm embarrassed at how long I've let it go. Most things in the tank are doing great....my clowns must be at least a year and a half, and the YWG is going strong. Did lose the fire fish, and I'm having a serious bubble algae problem - aiptasia, too. Hope to start clearing those issues up.

Really interested in a pico for my desk at the museum......starting my research!

What's up Myatt!

How's the sargassum doing? I'd forgotten about your tank of it. Met a reefer who has a sargassum tank with quite a diverse community of critters specific to floating sargassum.

You mentioned museum, which one is that? I was born in JC, lived in OS for years, until I moved to PCB. OS is very dear to my heart, still get homesick when I go to visit my daughter who is at USM - Gulf Coast.

I was saddened to see that they didn't rebuild the Marine Education Center after the storm, that was one of my favorite places after GCRL, but I love museums and would be interested in any on the Coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny about the sargassum....I really loved it, but it's completely disappeared now. I have what I think's another cool macro that came in on a piece of live rock. I'll have to bring my camera home tomorrow.

I do love OS....I'm from near Hattiesburg originally, but I moved to OS when I took a teaching position in Biloxi. After twenty years of teaching (3 were spent in McComb) I made a career segue and am now director of collections and exhibitions at the Walter Anderson Museum. I live downtown, less than a block from WAMA, and I love it.

Good grief Myatt, we've been "walking past each other" for years and didn't know it! After graduation from USM I moved to Covington County outside Sanford, definitely in the woods. Lived the "backwoods hippie" life will working as a profesional in town. Had a sailboat that kept complaining it'd rather be in the water than in our orchard, so we picked up and moved to OS after 12 years in the country. That little boat was so happy living in Old Fort Bayou. Then a bigger boat to explore farther out, the mangroves at Chandeleur, big Bend in Florida, then divorce and living single in OS. How often I still walk down Washington to the beach in my mind!

Archived