inTank Media Baskets

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

nothing i can say hasn't already been said.

Unique. the very dimensions of your tank are great and your execution go farther then anything similar too it. grats bro.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 to smell.....i was curious about that too

It's actually pleasant. No "live rock" smell. Ocean spray smell. Since the waterfall constantly moves, and in the same path, there is no die-off or anything. Worked out well.

Okay, this should keep you image hungry folk satisfied for a bit!

Frontal shots...

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8210.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8220.jpg

It's a clam!

IMG_8225.jpg

Here's a freshly molted crab. You can see his molt beneath the rock ledge. He is the crab that is near the polyps. He's still soft.

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8230.jpg

Thanks for looking!

indeed this is a beautiful tank! i was wondering what type of crabs are those? i would like to purchase some or other types aswell for the tank design im making.

Thanks for all the kind words. Helps justify everything. Just dealt with an annoying situation. Found a stupid snail in the drain line. I have all appropriate (and frankly OVERKILL) screens, crate and choice silicone placements to keep them, and mostly the crabs, out. Turns out (or so I think) that when I placed a piece of liverock in the sump, I missed a snail. It went up the drain line. Nice. Decided to streamline the drain line.

A simple thing is never this case in this hobby.

A simple thing is never the case in this hobby.

Aye-men brother..... -_-

but on the + side, your tank is looking amazing,

and your photo skills are certainly a force to be reckoned with.

keep it up man, i think you mighta started something new here.

;)

Haha, wow. This tank is just so incredibly awesome!

One of my first "species" tanks was a Mantis Tank. I was very very close to doing that again in this tank, but didn't want to deal with the rubble. These crabs leave enough mess with the snail shells and chiton shells, and the mantis shrimps are usually a bit less tidy than that!

I love the "uniqueness" that this hobby allows, and though a spectacular reef that is flourishing, beautiful, and BIG is awesome, there is something that pulls me stronger to the unusual and different....

Thanks for the kind words!

DUDE! SWEET! TOTM for the next 12 months.

What does TOTM mean? Just curious....

Thanks!

about how long did it take to get that growth out of those mangroves?

About 20 seconds. Ha. Just kidding, I was given the larger set in the back by a LFS, and the others (that are noticeably smaller) have sprouted 2 leaves on each (there are three separate trees), so technically that is fast, as mangroves are slow growers.

indeed this is a beautiful tank! i was wondering what type of crabs are those? i would like to purchase some or other types aswell for the tank design im making.

The crabs are a local species, and most likely belong to the family Grapsidae. I believe them to be Pachygrapsus crassipes, but I am not sure. Naughty but fun crabs. Essentially Sally Light Foots. They would work.

Archived