Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

Excellent tank here.

I have seen tanks like this (ranging from a full on terrarium to something like this where it's only a secondary habitat to 1 or 2 species).

One thing that I think could even enhance the appearance of this tank would be the use of some mangrove trees with the prop roots! Combined with your unique "volcano" rock scape that would rock!

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Your head must be the size of that volcano right now with all the feedback your getting lol, it's only going to get bigger, amazing tank man, the 150 was awesome to, can't wait to see more.

nor_cal_nano
Your head must be the size of that volcano right now with all the feedback your getting lol, it's only going to get bigger, amazing tank man, the 150 was awesome to, can't wait to see more.

lol. i have a feeling he's gunna become a regular poster....

That has to be one of the coolest tanks I've ever seen, I think the only way it could be more BA is if it was a zero-edge.

*thud*

Thats the sound of my jaw hitting the floor :lol:

There are some great tanks here at N-R.com... And this is by far most original and refreshing tank I have seen in nr.com in...... prolly NEVER! Congrats! YOU WIN!

Thank you for posting. I love how original this all is, gives me ideas for the future. Please keep us updated you def. win :)

ScionRacerbB

Alright Kyle I am lucky cause I live in Thousand Oaks also....I HAVE TO SEE IT IN PERSON....thats really sweet....

AWESOME ON A STICK!! What's so great about this tank is that everybody's head starts ticking, like mine, about all the possibilities with projects like these. What an inspiration! omgomgomg

It looks clean and beautiful too. You didn't just do something cool, you thought it out and done it well.

In a word...friggin awesome. One of the most unique tanks i have ever seen. Do you have any issues keeping the exposed rock wet? My only worry would be of potential die off in areas of rock that arent kept adequately moist.

:o

:bowdown:

O M G!!! Sorry to the rest of you here... But, this is my new favorite tank of all time!!! Unique FTW!!!

Be very very proud of this build bro!

B)

That's an honor! Thanks!

Excellent tank here.

I have seen tanks like this (ranging from a full on terrarium to something like this where it's only a secondary habitat to 1 or 2 species).

One thing that I think could even enhance the appearance of this tank would be the use of some mangrove trees with the prop roots! Combined with your unique "volcano" rock scape that would rock!

Hard to tell in the shot, but there are 3 Mangroves that I have put in the tank. They are very small.....and I think I may try to get one mature one for instant gratification!

Volcano13.jpg

I went to take some shots today, but my camera battery died. I will get some close ups and different angles up Sunday.

I have a Hi-Def camcorder, so I will try to get some videos up in the next week too. The waterfall part is certainly a cool thing to see....

I have full intention to get some kind of livestock in the rock basin on the left, and I don't know what it will be. The water flow is very adequate to support many types of things. I was thinking of a montipora or something...not sure. I am gonna give that at least a couple months just to see the algae growth and try to recognize any potential issues. The good thing about the waterfall design is that it is off the main sump return, so there are no additional dangers or inconsistencies that will arise (other than the always detrimental power outage, in which case everything is equally screwed).

The water pattern seems consistent though when spilling down the rock, so I should be good to go on that front. But, that was a good point, Rehype. I thought long and hard about that too. In the end, I figured any potential issue wouldn't be detrimental, if even noticeable. I have even run tests on a water collected from the rock, as a couple of natural holes in the rocks that collect water. The movement is consistent enough to have no difference in parameters from display nor sump. However, that was a primary motivator for me to put liverock in the sump (which I normally do not do). But, given the smaller space of the tank vs. potential for any issues, I went that route. Trial and error. Part of the process of doing something brand new. Good call though.

Anyways, pictures to come tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

That has to be one of the coolest tanks I've ever seen, I think the only way it could be more BA is if it was a zero-edge.

Thanks!

You have NO idea how long I thought about doing that!

Wicked cool. Your planning and execution is excellent, all the work is beautiful. I love how well it all integrates into the rest of the room, the cool-ass carvings on the sides of the stand - the whole damn thing!

Awesome. A truly different idea for us all to think about.

Here's some close up shots.....(lots of pictures...sorry).

Here's one the mangroves. I had a couple of Xenia colonies that I put in, and one made it's way behind, stuck, and gets it's light from the hole. Real interesting..

100509%20-%2001.jpg

100509%20-%2021.jpg

From the right side.

100509%20-%2002.jpg

Back of the right side.

100509%20-%2003.jpg

Left side from the front of the tank. Another Mangrove there in the middle of the shot, and there is one on the right. The black thing under the rock is a 2" PVC T for a little hang out. I am going to start a montipora colony on top of it.

100509%20-%2004.jpg

The left side from the left side. This montipora frag was almost white when I put it in here, and I did simply because I was cycling the tank. Look at it now! Only 3.5 weeks old.

100509%20-%2005.jpg

A couple of mussels from the coast. Thriving even though the water is warmer than they are used to. Usually in the morning, they are wide open almost like a scallop. Real cool.

100509%20-%2006.jpg

Side view.

100509%20-%2007.jpg

Here's the thing I keep calling the rock basin. Great algae growth. Har to tell in the shot, but those are all encrusting algaes, and the purple coraline started very quickly. I put a starter piece right under the water drip and it seemed to work.

100509%20-%2008.jpg

Back of the Volcano from the left side. The return is a Y-Click-Lok. Prior to the Y, it is split and reduced down to 1/4" to supply the waterfall line.

100509%20-%2009.jpg

Here's the valve for the waterfall line.

100509%20-%2010.jpg

Back side of the Volcano from the right.

100509%20-%2011.jpg

Left side.

100509%20-%2013.jpg

Right side.

100509%20-%2014.jpg

Here are some crab shots!!!

100509%20-%2015.jpg

100509%20-%2017.jpg

100509%20-%2018.jpg

100509%20-%2019.jpg

100509%20-%2020.jpg

Hope you enjoy 'em!