ReefCleaners.org

Scwd?

Nick17

the intake and outputs on the scwd unit are designed for a 3/4" tubing. I have found that if i reduce these sizes I do not get the proper switching of current. There i also a recommended gph rating for the scwd which has much do do with driving the switching current. I do believe as long as everything is balanced on each side the scwd will work. My concern for a nano is that there would to much current needed to operate the scwd properly. I utilize 4 units on my 90 and 125 I love them. But they are driven by dolphin pumps at about 1200 gph. There is a noise associated with these marvels but it is hardly noticeable with cooling fans, ballast hums and four toddlers running around. At lights out it even blends in to the sounds of the pumps...really nothing to be concerned about. I chose to utilize 3 micro pumps from azoo for my nano. they are very small but placed in the back corners of my 12g nanocube. There is tons of random turbulence from the jetstreams converging. Three pumps @$20 total... Scwd on line $30. my 2c worth.

• 4 weeks later...

i have one on my 10. it worked great for about 3 months, then just completely stopped. i tried messin with it, but to no avail. everyone else i know that has one has no complaints though.

soak it in vinegar for a day. Then run a larger pump on it...like 900gph...something to blow thw gunk out...or even compressed air might be a good way (just be careful not to blow it up all together). Can you tell if the intake 'propeller' is moving still? If it wont twist the way it is supposed to, try sticking a paperclip in there or something to turn it the other way...might have some crud in the gears...running it backwards might loosen it up.

yo acroman,

had my scwd gum up after about 3 months, luckily had a spare so I swapped it out and soaked it in some vinegar + water for a day or two. that did no good so I let it dry out for a couple of days. Then I ran it on a sedra 7000 (700gph) and it started working again.

I was lucky to have had a spare, it was a 15 minute job to swap it out and the tank was up and running again in no time.

-skeletor-

• 1 month later...

Mine leaked and squeaks when switching outputs. I fixed the leak with silicone, as it was fairly small (No big deal IMO). I can't figure out how to stop the squeak. I have e-mails out to the company, but no response yet.

Archived