Coral Vue Hydros

Who's Up For a Macroalgae Trade?

Weetabix7

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

New to the site. Have lots of chaeto for trade. Looking for stars, inverts, fish, whatever. I have approx. 6 sandwich size bags. San Gabriel Valley, CA. area...

Hi there,

New to the site. Have lots of chaeto for trade. Looking for stars, inverts, fish, whatever. I have approx. 6 sandwich size bags. San Gabriel Valley, CA. area...

She hasn't been online in 3 months.

Wish that I had some macroalgae to trade. Or a tank.....

Maybe this summer I could take a car out somewhere and collect some from a tidepool or something. Wondering if macroalgae could be acclimated from a temperate temperature, like 60 F, to a reef aquarium temperature?

• 2 months later...
phobos2deimos

Wish that I had some macroalgae to trade. Or a tank.....

Maybe this summer I could take a car out somewhere and collect some from a tidepool or something. Wondering if macroalgae could be acclimated from a temperate temperature, like 60 F, to a reef aquarium temperature?

I've experimented with Sargassum, Codium, and Ulva Lactuca, all collected locally in cold waters. The Sargassum and Codium steadily declined over the course of six months, and eventually died off, but the Ulva has stuck around and seems to have adapted well. Every month or two it goes through a 'everything dies off' phase and then grows back again. I suspect trace elements are running out or something like that since I very rarely change my water.

I think I should mention here that all caulerpa is illegal in California. Don't ship it to there. If you have some, don't flush it down the toilet or drain.

phobos2deimos

I think I should mention here that all caulerpa is illegal in California. Don't ship it to there. If you have some, don't flush it down the toilet or drain.

This is incorrect. There are nine species of Caulerpa illegal in California, all others are legal. General rule is 'if it looks like a grape or a fern, it's probably illegal'. C. Paspaloides is an exception.

See here.

phobos2deimos

Oh, and I should add that I'm almost always down to trade. I've got a ton of stuff but will probably trade for anything I don't have.

See my thread for a list of what I've got.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for some caulerpa. I have experience with it and it is not illegal to have in Texas. I would love a mixture of the species but at this point I would be great to get any. Thanks

• 1 year later...

kind of an old thread, But I was experimenting with some macro from California and I found you can keep red fern sp (?) and ulva alive in a vase for 2+ years, I had a little 1 gallon vase up with a couple pieces washed up, only changing the water really only once per 6 months with old tank water, and I managed to grow out some hitchhiker mussels just by doing that. The red fern went crazy and covered everything, and the ulva grew larger but with holes, though I've read that is normal for some species. toughest stuff I've ever seen, and grows fast.

Be careful with hitchhikers!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
phobos2deimos

If anyone has red fern (haliptilon sp.) I'm dying to get my hands on it.  I'll trade or buy.  I've got a lot in my 50g lagoon, some of the more desirable are C. paspaloides and Hypnea pannosa:

RaRv48WJLqJANtTCXtiVLIrT2qo5ZwiC-w5zF320

uz3iuYEY2xxNln2Py7Rcomi8KLcdnSpf2L2aIwYK

• 1 year later...

Holy cow I didn't know this thread was here.  I ordered quite a few macros a couple weeks ago on a whim because I wanted to do a macro tank.  After I put them in my tank, I promptly had a million little frags all over my tank.  Do you have anything to trade? Here's what I have at the moment:

1.      Pink Galaxy (Galaxaura rugosa)

2.      Dragons Breath (Halymenia durvillei)

3.      Golden Plume Gorgonian (Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata)

4.      Halimeda Opuntia

5.      Gracilaria Hayi frag

6.      Gracilaria Ogo frag

7.      Botryocladia (Red Grape)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Holy cow I didn't know this thread was here.  I ordered quite a few macros a couple weeks ago on a whim because I wanted to do a macro tank.  After I put them in my tank, I promptly had a million little frags all over my tank.  Do you have anything to trade? Here's what I have at the moment:

1.      Pink Galaxy (Galaxaura rugosa)

2.      Dragons Breath (Halymenia durvillei)

3.      Golden Plume Gorgonian (Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata)

4.      Halimeda Opuntia

5.      Gracilaria Hayi frag

6.      Gracilaria Ogo frag

7.      Botryocladia (Red Grape)

Lol. I only have some codium right now. Trying to do a macro algae refugium. Where did you get yours from? 

• 1 year later...

Seems like this thread hasn't been active in quite some time. Are there still reefers out there willing to do trades? I don't have much to offer yet, as I'm still new to this and growing things out. Currently, I have culerpa prolifera, mexicana and taxifolia (? Not sure on spelling), as well as gracilaria hayi and cryptonemia, blue hypnea (it's died back a bit and is just now beginning to grow back in). Ideally I'd love to find something fun that I don't already have but always up for more macros of any kind. I've tried codium recently on two different occasions and it has done nothing but melt away in my tanks unfortunately. Anywho, sorry for the long post but anyone USA based willing to do some trading please shoot me a message or reply ☺️ thanks for reading!