inTank Media Baskets

gena's 3g pico

gena

I read somewhere to get rid of Aiptasia pull the rock out of the tank and using a small butane torch burn them off. Never tried it but it might be a worth while experiment.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read somewhere to get rid of Aiptasia pull the rock out of the tank and using a small butane torch burn them off. Never tried it but it might be a worth while experiment.

If I only had a butane torch :lol:

I tried some Aptasia X again on the bigger ones. We'll see what happens this time. I'm thinking a combination of Aptasia X and an aptasia eating peppermint shrimp should do the job. If not, I'll buy a torch :)

If I only had a butane torch :lol:

I tried some Aptasia X again on the bigger ones. We'll see what happens this time. I'm thinking a combination of Aptasia X and an aptasia eating peppermint shrimp should do the job. If not, I'll buy a torch :)

cheap "jet flame" cigarette lighter.

spankyleatherlips

Beautiful tank Gina. I started one recently and have 2 sexies in it and some zoa. I am keeping an eye on them lil sexies and if they even look like munching on my zoa they will be placed back into the 24 gal.

(zoa, not sexies)

I enjoy your pico thread

Beautiful tank Gina. I started one recently and have 2 sexies in it and some zoa. I am keeping an eye on them lil sexies and if they even look like munching on my zoa they will be placed back into the 24 gal.

(zoa, not sexies)

I enjoy your pico thread

I hope you have better luck than me :) I keep trying to catch the one sexy that is left in my 10g..she is sooo fast!!!!! I had 3. One jumped. One disappeared after I removed the mini anemones from the tank. He loved those mini nems, hosted them. I think I broke his little heart! I just have the one left and she terrorizes my zoas. It doesn't matter if I feed her...she still does it. She doesn't mess with palys though. I'm hoping they have short life-spans :)

Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to check out your new pico :)

how 's the fight with aiptisia?

Not good. Once again, it didn't work with the aptasia X. I went to the LFS by me, for a peppermint shrimp today, and they didn't have any. Gonna try another store tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

SUCCESS!!!!!!! I picked up a peppermint shrimp the other day and he's going to town on the aptasia. I absolutely cannot believe it's working...woohoo!!!!! He's my little hero :D

Thought I'd show off my new little worker. It looks like he's officially polished off all the aptasia in this tank! Now, here's hoping he behaves himself :D

shrimp3.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

shrimp1.jpg

shrimp4.jpg

FTS 11/22/09

shrimp.jpg

i hope your mini nem behaves himself!!!

I know! I was concerned about that too! But, he is doing fine navigating around the mini nems. When a foot or antenna touches a nem, he quickly pulls it out..so looks like it won't be a problem :)

Peppermint shrimp are cool, I had one that would only hang upside down under the live rock. Really cool to watch. Sadly he was ruthlessly murdered in the middle of the night by a emerald crab punch drunk with rage. Justice was served when the crab was apprehended after a high speed chases around the tank.

Peppermint shrimp are cool, I had one that would only hang upside down under the live rock. Really cool to watch. Sadly he was ruthlessly murdered in the middle of the night by a emerald crab punch drunk with rage. Justice was served when the crab was apprehended after a high speed chases around the tank.

LOL :D This peppermint is the only inhabitant of this tank right now (cept for the coral of course), so he should be safe.

So, the shrimp cleared out all the aptasia in this tank...and yesterday he was looking hungry again (bottomless pit????) So, I thawed out a little uncooked cocktail shrimp and fed him that. It seems really wrong to be feeding him shrimp, but he loved it. I think I'll pick up some pellets and see how he does with that.

• 3 weeks later...
oooooo

a new project! lookin good gena!

Thanks :D I'm starting to question whether or not I should have started this one. I really don't do a whole lot with it...except for water changes. It will be interesting to see what happens with it since I don't tinker around with it AT ALL. I wish I had a better light for it, for better growth. But I refuse to spend anymore money on it. It also makes me nervous being out in an unheated room. The temps out there get in the low 50s in the morning. The water has been staying a toasty 80 degrees though..thanks to the reef keeper lite. I have the actual heater cranked up into the 90s. Hopefully my equipment won't let me down, nor the power co. If the power goes out..the tank is in trouble immediately due to temps. I do have to say, it's been a surpisingly easy tank to maintain.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add some new year photos, taken today 1-15-10. I added some ricordeas from the 10g...down on the sand. And I'll throw in a couple of pictures of my other great loves :)

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

addjack5.jpg

dogsplayingwtoys3.jpg

Archived