Coral Vue Hydros

gena's 3g pico

gena

FTS 11/04/09

fts11-4-09no2.jpg

I started a new tank 09/24/09... woohoo! This one is for my home office :D

I got a Mr. Aqua Frameless Bow front 3 gallon tank from Marine Depot $24.99. I painted the back black with Krylon Fusion paint.

Using an AquaClear 20 filter for polishing.

Everything else was already had equipment. 18" Nova Extreme 2x18w T5HO for lighting

Live sand

4 pounds cured live rock

I still need to add my k-nano to this tank. And I will need to purchase an ATO for it as well. Last night before bed the salinity was 1.026...this morning it was 1.028. I don't think this will do! So I'll be doing some research for a cheap ATO.

I'm doing a soft cycle..not expecting a big cycle out of this fingerscrossed

There will be no fish in this one. This is the sanctuary for my mini anemones. Maybe some of you will remember that my lovely clownfish went after some food that my mini nem was eating...subsequently got stuck in said nem, clownfish died the next day. Don't want a repeat of that...so the mini anemones have their own tank now. I'll be adding blue cloves, zoas, and who knows what else to this one????? One of my live rocks has some bleached out palys on it...looking forward to seeing what those turn into with a little light :D

I've already put the mini anemones into the tank. Will be monitoring the water quality closely. Here's some photos before the mini anemones were added:

newpico.jpg

newpico2.jpg

newpico3.jpg

newpico4.jpg

newpico5.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! I really luv this little tank! :wub:

I got the k-nano in there today...it looks huge :lol: Had to move the top rock over a bit...and actually like the way it looks better this way. The rocks may look unstable...but they aren't.

The light is huge...but I had it, and it was just sitting around collecting dust. So, it's now put to use :happy:

Here's some new shots:

fts-1.jpg

nem1.jpg

nem2.jpg

nem3.jpg

So far so good. I'm nervous about the temps though...around 84 :scarry: And it's not the hottest part of the day. This tank sits in our home office which is a finished room (like a guest house). I have a window A/C unit that will be working even harder now.

Anyone have a handy link to a good ATO for this size tank?

tank is lookin good! i've always wanted a pico for my office. too bad i don't have an office :huh: . maybe some day. but yea, after seeing your beautiful 10 gal, can't wait to see what you do with this one!

this tank is awesome

tank is lookin good! i've always wanted a pico for my office. too bad i don't have an office :huh: . maybe some day. but yea, after seeing your beautiful 10 gal, can't wait to see what you do with this one!

:blush: thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing what this one turns out to be as well!

oh...and...the sticker is now gone, Aaron :lol:

This tank is pretty sweet :D

I see the biggest challenge with these little picos is keeping a stable temperature...it isn't easy!!!!! I'm seeing about a 5 degree swing in temps. I have to work out the kinks I guess.

alright I just can't take it anymore...time to get a pico....gena you pushed me over the edge...

:lol: go for it!

Hey...I'm a Scion driver too...only it's an XD :D

I see the biggest challenge with these little picos is keeping a stable temperature...it isn't easy!!!!! I'm seeing about a 5 degree swing in temps. I have to work out the kinks I guess.

Yes, definitely one of the biggest challenges in keeping a pico stable especially during the hot summer months. I even used to put ice cubes in a ziploc bag to keep it running cool but that was before I upgraded to LEDs. A pricey option for most people but well worth the money if you're hardcore like I am. ;)

Archived