SaltCritters.com

JTumbleweeds 40br SPS/Clam

youincolor

i really would love to see what you would do with this tank

Yeah I'm pretty excited about getting it going. Should be soon, subscribe!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I switch tanks sometime this month I think want to remove the Coral Beauty and the two PJ Cardinals. I am going to put them in my fairly new 55g mixed reef since I only have four fish in there now. I won't miss the PJ Cardinals since they are boring to watch, but I will miss the Coral beauty flying around in and out of the rocks. I want to remove it I think because I have had good luck with it so far not nipping my clams, but I see it peck on the SPS every once in awhile. I do not have good polyp extension at all on most of my pieces, but I can't say for sure why. Do you guys think that the Angel is the reason for this? I know a lot of my pieces are stressed from too much light right now which is part of the reason I am switching to the taller 58 gallon. I just want to make the right decision once because I won't be able to catch it out of the 55 if I wanted it back.

Also, how many snails and hermits do you think I should have in a 58g? Right now in the 40 I think I only have two large trochus snails, and about three asterea snails. I have probably three red leg hermits, and two or three blue leg hermits. I used to have more hermits but I stopped replacing them if I noticed they were missing. I also have two or three emerald crabs to try to help control any hair algae.

• 2 weeks later...
skimlessinseattle

With regards to the polyp extension, I experienced much better extension when I switched from Koralia's to a Vortech pump. It was overnight improvement. If you have the dough, it's worth a shot IMO.

wow your tank is realy nice!!! i love all of the clams.. thats what i want to do with mine some day.. and all of your caps are beautiful.. now i have an idol and i know what i want my tank to turn out looking like!! good job with everything and i hope all goes well

With regards to the polyp extension, I experienced much better extension when I switched from Koralia's to a Vortech pump. It was overnight improvement. If you have the dough, it's worth a shot IMO.

That's an interesting observation, I would love to get an MP40. Thanks.

I love this tank!!

Much appreciated.

wow your tank is realy nice!!! i love all of the clams.. thats what i want to do with mine some day.. and all of your caps are beautiful.. now i have an idol and i know what i want my tank to turn out looking like!! good job with everything and i hope all goes well

Thanks a lot. I used to try to find every 40br reef tank I could to try to figure out how they were doing it. The caps have really gone crazy and the clams have always been healthy from day one, I got lucky with those things.

that tank is amazing

Thanks!

OClownsandNanos

What an awe-inspiring tank! JTumbleweed, in your post #11, what is the coral in the 4th pic from the top? It's gorgeous. I love your clams and your aquascaping too!

nice :)

Is that one clam up in the rocks glued down (it's at a nice angle)? I glued one of my maximas, but felt guilty the next day and pulled him down. That one just doesn't like high light for some reason.

What an awe-inspiring tank! JTumbleweed, in your post #11, what is the coral in the 4th pic from the top? It's gorgeous. I love your clams and your aquascaping too!

Thanks a lot. That coral is a Cynarina lacrymalis, or 'donut coral'. It's always done great since the day I bought it. I think they might be hit or miss but when you find a good one it should do great.

nice :)

Is that one clam up in the rocks glued down (it's at a nice angle)? I glued one of my maximas, but felt guilty the next day and pulled him down. That one just doesn't like high light for some reason.

I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but I didn't glue either of them down. I placed them where I wanted them to sit and they put their foot down and attached themselves. I don't think you're supposed to glue them anywhere, if they jump off the rocks they aren't happy and need to be moved somewhere else.

nice tank man you have some really nice growth and some nice corals in there!

Thanks a lot! I will miss being in the 40br club though...and with a 55 and a 58 I think my nano-reef license will be revoked. Although I am in discussions for a used 12 gallon nano cube atm...

Well as fast as I posted my tank thread, I decide to switch tanks. What ensues is the carnage of five hours moving tanks today:

Just getting started.

DSC_0001-6.jpg

Last top down shot of the 40br ever.

DSC_0003-2.jpg

Last full on shot of the 40br ever.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Getting more empty.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

3.5 pissed off fish and corals.

DSC_0008-4.jpg

Obligatory 'cat inspection' shot. Cats are so annoying.

DSC_0009-3.jpg

That's it for the 40br as it was. I may use it again someday but I would definitely drill it for an overflow next time, and possible a closed loop system.

DSC_0011-2.jpg

The return elbow looks so bummed.

DSC_0013-1.jpg

New 58 Oceanic sitting on it's new throne. It hangs over 1/8" on both sides but its just the plastic trim.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Full of water and pissed off corals/fish.

DSC_0017.jpg

A little clearer.

DSC_0021.jpg

Looking fairly clear about three hours after the final touches.

DSC_0026.jpg

I will be making a new build thread for this tank, look for it!

Looking good. A new tank is always a chance to put new knowledge to use :) Plus you gained some nice growout room!

Yeah I agree, I was able, in most cases, to place corals in more desirable positions depending on light and flow. I think these corals will have plenty of space to grow now. I didn't know what they needed when I first got most of them. Also I think that having the light further above everything will help all the corals not look so washed out. Some even got burned in the old shallower tank.

Looking good man!

one thing though...

The tank seems to be a tad larger than the stand...

dont you think that with less contact space the tank could undergo physical stress?

might be a risky thing to have done...

i just dont want your tank to drain onto you floor, ;)

Looking good man!

one thing though...

The tank seems to be a tad larger than the stand...

dont you think that with less contact space the tank could undergo physical stress?

might be a risky thing to have done...

i just dont want your tank to drain onto you floor, ;)

Yeah I know it looks bigger but its just that the plastic trim is very 'decorative' and bulges out. The actual glass walls, hence all the weight, still sit squarely over the stand/sidewalls. I was a bit concerned too at first but I'm sure it will be fine.

I don't know how that tank is constructed, but on a tank like a standard AGA/Aqueon, where the black frame holds the glass up off the floor, it is very important that the entire frame be on a flat surface. Does the bottom pane of glass sit directly on the wood of the table?

I don't know how that tank is constructed, but on a tank like a standard AGA/Aqueon, where the black frame holds the glass up off the floor, it is very important that the entire frame be on a flat surface. Does the bottom pane of glass sit directly on the wood of the table?

Yeah definitely, I built the stand myself, and the top area for the tank to sit on is about 1 5/8" wide on all four sides. Only about 3/16" max of the decorative trim hangs over the edges on just the left and right side. The trim on this tank is different then that of a standard Aqueon tank, like what I had on there before. Believe me, if I thought it looked sketchy, I wouldn't have proceeded without adding some additional support.

congrats on the successful move. now I have another one of your tanks to drool at.

Thanks a lot, I am bummed I have to wait to watch this one grow in again though...

thats the fun part tho too. any big changes planned? new livestock?

I am going to be able to add a few fish which I am psyched about. I really like the fish in a reef tank, but I have always been kind of bummed on the average ones I had. I can't really afford to spend a lot on fish and corals though so it will probably have to just grow in for a while.

awesome job, did u reuse ur sand, i plan on doing so but cleaning it before i do

A fellow reefer in town had 40 lbs of crushed aragonite left over from a 120 build. I was going to try to reuse my sand if I didn't get the free sand, but I would really advise against it if your tank has been established for awhile, it's totally disgusting. It would have to be a total nutrient trap.

Archived