Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JTumbleweeds 40br SPS/Clam

youincolor

Where has this thread been?! I love the balance of your tank. Great aquascaping.

Awesome, thank you so much. I just started this thread a week ago or so. I'm really loving all the nice comments, haha. I don't know why I never had a thread before, I could talk reef all day.

I got a lot of crap for taking some rock out and having so much swimming space, but once it all grew in no one had anything to say about it anymore... I love it now.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand how worried you are about treating your tank with interceptor. I have a Crocea in my tank as well and was most concerned with this. I can not express how glad I did the treatment that I am ! The polyp extension on ALL of my sps is off the charts after the treatment. I just used it let it sit over night and did a wc the next day. I also have a porcealin crab, bumlebee shrimp, boxer crab, and countless snails and the clam with lps too. I had now ill effects or losses other than the red bugs. I'm telling you do it. I am considering doing it once a month just to keep the tank healthy . Gl !

I understand how worried you are about treating your tank with interceptor. I have a Crocea in my tank as well and was most concerned with this. I can not express how glad I did the treatment that I am ! The polyp extension on ALL of my sps is off the charts after the treatment. I just used it let it sit over night and did a wc the next day. I also have a porcealin crab, bumlebee shrimp, boxer crab, and countless snails and the clam with lps too. I had now ill effects or losses other than the red bugs. I'm telling you do it. I am considering doing it once a month just to keep the tank healthy . Gl !

Wow really? Hmm.. The thing is I just noticed them recently, and I can only see them on two pieces. I have always had kind of poor polyp extension, probably having to do with the pygmy angel or six-line. Do you think it did something else besides just kill red bugs to get such a great result? I know someone who just dosed their tank and I think he was pretty happy with it. I would hate to lose anything in my tank after all this time...

Like I said before I have no problem removing the two pieces and just disposing of them, they are tiny and crappy. Or dipping them and putting them on a frag rack to monitor.

Even if you do remove the acros to dip you will still have them in your tank. I was concerned about my clam as you are and inverts pods, etc. I have not noticed any ill affects honestly after three weeks. Only difference is completely positive. My acros that were infested are popping with pe now. and the color is returning nicely. I even notice baby mysis sprining up in my tank all of a sudden after over a year of being established. I know not due to the treatment , but a sign of no bad effects imo. I discussed with a fellow club member about interceptor and we both come to an agreement that it's beneficial. Can't tell you why. Just the proof is in the pudding. ;)

Even if you do remove the acros to dip you will still have them in your tank. I was concerned about my clam as you are and inverts pods, etc. I have not noticed any ill affects honestly after three weeks. Only difference is completely positive. My acros that were infested are popping with pe now. and the color is returning nicely. I even notice baby mysis sprining up in my tank all of a sudden after over a year of being established. I know not due to the treatment , but a sign of no bad effects imo. I discussed with a fellow club member about interceptor and we both come to an agreement that it's beneficial. Can't tell you why. Just the proof is in the pudding. ;)

Yeah I figured it couldn't be that easy to just remove the pieces. Of course.

It's nice to hear all the positive results from people that have tried it, I am interested in trying it out now. I am going to read up on the dosage and contact a fellow reefer who had access to it recently to see if I could get a small amount.

Amazing acro colonies!

Thanks a lot, they would be even nicer if I didn't currently have red bugs. I thought I would never have growing acro colonies when I started.

Simply magnificent!

Thank you very much, I was super impressed with your tank when I saw it featured as tank of the month in January, so your praise means even more to me.

very cool. I would like to set up a 40 breeder one of these days

Thanks. The extra water volume is amazing for stability.

i REEEEEEALLY love ya your tank.

My jaw actually dropped. Outstanding

Everything looks healthy and the colors are great too.

I am so jealous lol

Thunderstruck34

wow...your tank is awesome. very nice blend of color and variety of corals/clams. What is your dosing regimen? And do you just have 2 K2's?

Excuse my language,

THIS TANK IS SOOOO ####ING GORGEOUS IT MAKES ME HATE MY LIFE...

The way everything is laid out is awesome... I Looooooooove that overhanging monti as the center piece. Much props dude, very inspiring to me.

wow...your tank is awesome. very nice blend of color and variety of corals/clams. What is your dosing regimen? And do you just have 2 K2's?

Thank you very much. I am using Brightwell kalk+2 for my top off, and BRS two part. I am still dialing everything in but I am using 50ml of the two part right now. I have two K2's and the 500 GPH return from my sump. I could use 500 GPH shooting across the other side of the tank to really max out the flow. When I hook up the chiller I will have it probably.

Im not sure how i never seen this tank. But just wanted to say its awesome and great aquascaping. TOTM for sure

Thanks a lot. I just posted my tank thread last month so it's still getting exposure. TOTM is a long way away but that's an exciting thought.

Excuse my language,

THIS TANK IS SOOOO ####ING GORGEOUS IT MAKES ME HATE MY LIFE...

The way everything is laid out is awesome... I Looooooooove that overhanging monti as the center piece. Much props dude, very inspiring to me.

Much appreciated. The green monti center piece really came together, even I am surprised with how nicely it works there.

My power went out at like 3pm yesterday, and apparently this signaled two fish to jump out of the tank. The six line wrasse in this tank, and a tailspot blenny in the 55. Of course the six line would have eventually jumped out anyway I guess, but I have had it for about two years without any problems. I don't know what the tailspots problem was. Kind of sucks. Also I will never find the body of the six line because I have a new kitten so it will always be a mystery as to what happened to it. The tailspot ended up wedged between the back glass and the black plastic background on the 55. It was almost funny...

Beautiful Tank. The aquascaping is great. I see so many pictures of tanks were the rock is just thrown in with no real vision and the same with corals. I have tried to plan mine a little better than that and am pretty happy with how it looks, but yours is incredible.

My question is do you trim (frag) your corals to prevent touching (specifically the caps). My tank is about 14 months old or so, and I am getting to the point were my caps are getting close to some things (like a hammer and some digi's) and one is also starting to shade some corals too. I am not sure exactly how to take care of this. Wondering what you did / do.

Thanks and again, GREAT TANK!!!

Beautiful Tank. The aquascaping is great. I see so many pictures of tanks were the rock is just thrown in with no real vision and the same with corals. I have tried to plan mine a little better than that and am pretty happy with how it looks, but yours is incredible.

My question is do you trim (frag) your corals to prevent touching (specifically the caps). My tank is about 14 months old or so, and I am getting to the point were my caps are getting close to some things (like a hammer and some digi's) and one is also starting to shade some corals too. I am not sure exactly how to take care of this. Wondering what you did / do.

Thanks and again, GREAT TANK!!!

Thanks for the kind words. It took me a long time to get the rock where I liked it and corals placed, and after that everything just grew in.

I have fragged my caps a few times, mostly just to make frags for swaps or to give to people. I don't really have to get in there too often, but when I have done it I just grab the piece and break it off by hand. This may not be the best way to do it, but the caps are pretty fragile and break fairly easily. I am actually letting the green cap grow up and around a piece of m. digitata, and they are working it out on their own. I haven't seen the kind of aggression that LPS corals display where one will lose the fight badly and die. SPS seem to just grow away from each other eventually. Of course some pruning will be necessary for the health of the corals. The anchor hammer I have in the lower right used to reach up and sting the purple cap, I would break off the dead areas of the cap and eventually it grew away from the hammer, and the hammer quit sending out sweepers.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is a beautiful tank. I used to think that SPS was boring, but I am starting to really appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions for keeping it?

Wow this is a beautiful tank. I used to think that SPS was boring, but I am starting to really appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions for keeping it?

Yeah first win the lottery, then you'll have enough money to keep SPS. All kidding aside, I never thought I wuould be spending so much time and money to keep these kinds of corals. Although I could do it half assed, but I can't, for me it's either do it right or don't bother.

Whew, that was a rant, on to something more educational... I am by no means a pro at keeping SPS, my tank has only looked half decent for a short time now. I think the best possible thing for SPS is the ability to keep calcium and alkalinity at a constant and stable level. I am barley able to do this with the equipment I have, I think my next purchase will have to be either a peristaltic pump, or a kalk stirrer, or both. Keeping constant levels seems to be key, as well as keeping P04 levels almost nonexistent.

inspirational work here....A+

I am scared of grape calupera anywhere near my tank tho....wdyt?

I assume you worry about it going sexual. I have never really seen or heard of this happening much, although I am aware of it. I don't know what causes it or what would happen if it did, I guess I just choose not to think about it. The shop owner of the shop I frequent has kept grape calupera in the shops refugium for years without problems, and that is the same stuff I have from the same system. I had cheato for a short time, and still have some, but I don't have a small power head to keep it spinning so it yellows and dies for some reason in my tank, so I switched back to the grape stuff. Fingers crossed I guess...

I will probably add cheato again with a power head after my Bangaii babies experiment is complete. I have about 20 in there right now, just released a few days ago.

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for the kind words.

Oh man, I have obtained a used Oceanic 58, center overflow... I really want to transfer into it but I'm too afraid... I have moved the 40br across town once, and transferred into it once when I first set it up, but it was never this grown in and I am afraid to have to rearrange everything... This is the story of it the 58.

On my local Reef Club's web site there was a kid that joined who had gotten an Oceanic 58 for like $50 from a fire sale move in Sacramento. He was all pumped to start a reef, but then I guess planned it out or something and realized he wouldn't be able to afford it, so he put up an ad to trade the tank, stand, and 'sump', which was a half finished 20 long with all kinds of wrong sized baffles, for a freshwater setup (cheaper I guess). I had just turned my empty 29 into a sump for this tank (40br), but I had a bunch of freshwater stuff left over from it to trade. I offered him all that stuff, and some carpentry and painting (I added a top to the 36" stand to accommodate a 30" tank and painted it to match, I didn't need the stand). +$60 and the tank and 'sump' was in my possession.

When he started to load the tank into my car I realized the tank trim was originally an amazing golden oak color that had been halfassedly sprayed black...so I was stuck scraping, sanding, and doing it again. I used Krylon Fusion formulated for plastics, and did about three coats last night. The flash doesn't do it justice, it looks pretty damn good. I can't believe Oceanic was still making oak trim in 2006 (tanks birthday).

DSC_0006resized.jpg

I sprayed the back too. I left the overflow open for...a reason I suppose. To look in? I don't know, it seemed like a good idea.

DSC_0007resized.jpg

The tank came with home made plumbing but I will probably re-do it so I will know it will work right. I want to move everything into this tank soon because I think the way the 40 is set up now I am burning the corals and the extra height will help with that, plus more water volume, and center overflow instead of the CPR overflow box I use now. Does anyone know if a Mag 5 will keep up with the overflow? I read of one person using a Mag 5 with this tank but didn't find any info yet on the actual flow rate of it.

Archived