inTank Media Baskets

RBTA in a 5.5g?

Jacobnano

Ok well after some thinking I thought it would be really cool to have a RBTA in my 5.5g. I know the water quality could be a problem because of their feeding etc, and I plan on protecting my koralia one with some mesh so the BTA doesn't get chopped up. I know they get huge (I could move it to my larger tank when the time comes) but is it possible to house one in such a small tank?

Feel free to give me any tips, this will be my first anemone if I go through with it. Also, the tank is about 4 months old, there won't be any fish and it running a 70w halide. Anyway, thanks in advance!

LOL. why do you even need one? dont you have a main reef tank as well? or do you only have your coldwater tanks? its gonna be hard but you could try it.

I did ALOT of research on keeping an RBTA when i considered owning one. The bad thing was i had a 10g tank at the time with currents dual satellite fixture, yes thats the 20"PC fixture. To make things worse a LFS had one for 30$. . . needless to say i went against ALL rules and got it. I kept it for a little under 6 months in the 10g AGA before moving it, along with everything in it to my custom diy 34g "solana wanna be". it has now been in there 3 months, it eats like a champ every 3 days, and still looks just as beautiful as the day i got it. :D

Needless to say there are alot of things to consider in caring for one of these, i honestly think i just got lucky. but ive also read horror stories about keeping them in inadequate conditions. BE WARNED.

Ya. I forgot to add all the live rock and sand was from my other tank that was 6+ months old at the time of the transfer. So basically a year old.

Anyone else?

HeyLookItsCaps

you being as experienced as you are, i would assume you can do it. just watch it very carefully and consider more frequent WC if you dont run a skimmer

Nano-Reef would be a pretty good forum if there weren't so many dicks....but then again I guess it can't be a forum without having them.

I think you have the experience, but I honestly just wouldn't do it in a tank that small. The whole "I'll move it when it gets too big thing" always bothers me, so I just say do it when you have the space it needs.

yea but they are the kind that dont make you laugh. Atleast here the dicks make you giggle once in awhile. Personally I think it sounds like it will be too much of a pinta. If its really small that might work though. Eventually I plan on setting up a prop tank for rbta's. They are really easy to propigate. I just need another light to get this project off the ground.

you being as experienced as you are, i would assume you can do it. just watch it very carefully and consider more frequent WC if you dont run a skimmer

Thanks, that was my plan, I am hoping it doesn't sting the crap out of everything.

7 tanks??? wow. but they're small huh?

25g, 24g, 15g (coldwater), 10g,10g, 5.5g, and a 3g (freshwater) :)

Nano-Reef would be a pretty good forum if there weren't so many dicks....but then again I guess it can't be a forum without having them.

I think you have the experience, but I honestly just wouldn't do it in a tank that small. The whole "I'll move it when it gets too big thing" always bothers me, so I just say do it when you have the space it needs.

Who are you reffering to? Ya I know it usually bothers me too, so I can see your point.

anyway if you do it your going to have due at least 50-60% water change every week but if you can't commit to that i wouldn't do it

Ya I usually do a 2g change every week (which is about a 50% change in a 5.5g) but I could step it up to 3 with no problem at all.

well you only have 5.5 gallons completly empty with rock, sand corals and the increased bio load you only have about 4 gallons of water and it might be hard on the system but thats not my call

50% water changes weekly? Little hard on the system don't you think?

Ya, but I think it would be necessary. Like I said, everything has been fine so far :)

Who are you reffering to? Ya I know it usually bothers me too, so I can see your point.

Nate. I'm not sure if he was trying to be, but it came off that way.

And yeah, it does make me laugh and is tolerable when they actually are funny, but 9 times out of 10 the dicks in here are just...dicks.

Edit:

Nevermind, I saw his response to you in another thread was civil. Guess it just came off that way. Sorry Nate!

depends on the size of the BTA. the bigger the more waste they produce. 50% waterchange seems pretty stressful on your livestock. doing less water volume and more frequantly seems safe to me.. what you guys think?

Archived