Pod Your Reef

rocky shore biotope

weta

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm even more impressed now that I see how you MacGyvered it together like that. Not only did you design and build an exceptionally beautiful and interesting tank, but you had so much extra ingenuity laying around that you had no need for something so mudane as money.

As you kiwi's say, "good on you!"

Ta, I put a lot of time into the planning. I even made a little scale model to help figure out how to make it-

e_360x480.jpg

This really needs to be TOTM!! It is one of the coolest tanks ever!

thats very kind, but its not in the same league as a tropical reef aquarium, I can only dream of having one of those

• 3 weeks later...
Any new updates?

the crabs are growing fast! they are always hungry and have started waving at me with their claws for food :lol:

krab.jpg

krab2.jpg

I'll have to make a bigger tank one day as they grow into monsters as bag as a mans hand

this is still the monster in the tank though...

nem2.jpg

That is absolutely fantastic! Great work and very inspirational. It is great to see something different like this. Good job on the build!

-Prof

the crabs are growing fast! they are always hungry and have started waving at me with their claws for food :lol:

krab.jpg

krab2.jpg

I'll have to make a bigger tank one day as they grow into monsters as bag as a mans hand

this is still the monster in the tank though...

nem2.jpg

Awesome.... just awesome

Do you have some kind of wave maker, cause that would be awesome.

When I first made the tank I based it off the local inner-harbour shore where the forest hangs over the water and mosses and ferns grow just above the high tide mark. It was pretty challenging keeping the salt water off of the moss even without a wave maker.

I had it about a year like this until I changed the land to a rocky shore.

new640.jpg

It would be cool to have a tidal system though, and I the next tank I make will have one for sure..

Your tank is jaw-drop-amazing.

What caused you to decide to convert from moss to rocy shore? Did you just want to change things up to keep from getting bored?

Your tank is jaw-drop-amazing.

What caused you to decide to convert from moss to rocy shore? Did you just want to change things up to keep from getting bored?

two reasons- I got tired of changing the water and cleaning the pump every week, and the planted background wasn't suitable for the purple rock crabs(they would of torn it apart)

Absolutely brilliant! I loved reading through your build process on Aquaria Central. I hope you'll always keep us updated on its progress!

Ta. I hope it inspires some people to try something similar, and they could learn from all the mistakes I made.

If I built it again knowing what I do now it would probably take a fraction of the time.

two reasons- I got tired of changing the water and cleaning the pump every week, and the planted background wasn't suitable for the purple rock crabs(they would of torn it apart)

Ta. I hope it inspires some people to try something similar, and they could learn from all the mistakes I made.

If I built it again knowing what I do now it would probably take a fraction of the time.

I bet that was part of the fun. Experimenting and tinkering. The results

are stunning. Yes I am inspired.

H

• 4 weeks later...
Any updates on the biotope? How's it coming along?

Its going good ta

I took some pictures today of a crab molting

ss1.jpgss2.jpgss3.jpgss4.jpgss5.jpg

the pics arn't very good quality because the crab popped out of its shell so fast!

the nem split in two

nemsplit.jpg

the crabs are getting bigger, a few more molts and they will need a bigger tank

bigcrab.jpg

bigclaws.jpgpistolclaw.jpg

Sorry if I missed the post, if any, but do you (anyone) know what type of crabs any of these are? Very interesting in tracking down these specimens without flying out to NZ myself. :lol:

Archived