Pod Your Reef

Work at ReefCleaners

johnmaloney

As for the house in the South Pacific, how's this one look?

[nice pictures and what not....]

one day, one day....,I am going to save my money head out there and tell Sallie Mae to come find me if they can :)

Wild dolphins are cool at about 30 feet distance. We see them a lot, but usually at a good distance. They have zoomed near me a few times now, scares me each time. In the murk I first think "shark!", then I think "oh man they are going to bump into me!" (probably equally fatal right?) They never do and seem to know where they are going, but it is nerve racking to me all the same. When they get a few yards away I am much more comfortable. I greatly prefer nearby barracuda then nearby dolphin, at least the barracuda stay relatively still. I am usually alone and it takes some getting used to to say the least. Was your brother a bit scared jacobnano?

Leaping fish don't bother me. I think, "well there is some food in the water other than me, so I am going to be fine". I am a chain smoker, so I figure they won't want to mess with me because I am likely to cause cancer.

However, I do get a little frightened when surprised in the ocean, I once turned around to see a very large shark following me at close range with my brother in tow armed with a speargun. I just kept thinking if this shark starts acting hungry my brother is going to miss and shoot me with the speargun. ;)

Thanks for pming me dirtwheelsfl. I will call you tomorrow, was just busy today catching up on CUC inquiries.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharks don't bother me much I used to get rubbed all the time surfing. Well, ok they bother me SOME cuz I always got RIGHT out of the water after I got bumped. My own fault for being stupid enough to surf at dusk tho :blink:

The only time I ever really get scared is when I'm at the inlet cuz I can never tell whats going to pop up over there. FWIW I now know Man O War = SWIM AWWWAAAAYYYY!!

Massive props on your bravery with 3" vis cuz I am far too chickens%#t for that

LOL all the Ocean newb's......Sounds like a great job...ive never dove that area of florida before but I like it in the summer....winter is too cold !

Lets start a dive shop..all we need is a boat...I got it from there....

EDIT: I use to collect for my tanks in Maui...it was either go get Zoas with the Tigers in Kahului Harbor....or play with the Scorpion Fish in the tidepools picking Dusters...either way I wouldn't trade the experience for anything...great great times....

Sharks don't bother me much I used to get rubbed all the time surfing. Well, ok they bother me SOME cuz I always got RIGHT out of the water after I got bumped. My own fault for being stupid enough to surf at dusk tho :blink:

The only time I ever really get scared is when I'm at the inlet cuz I can never tell whats going to pop up over there. FWIW I now know Man O War = SWIM AWWWAAAAYYYY!!

Massive props on your bravery with 3" vis cuz I am far too chickens%#t for that

They do like dusk for some reason. You can almost tell them time on this one reef...right around 8 o'clock in the summer they start rolling in. Man O War stings do suck...still haven't gotten used to them, but have you ever seen the fish that live under them? (creatively named 'Man o War fish?) nice looking fish when they got the really developed blue coloring, although some are more grayish. I got stung like 20 times trying to catch those things, and then got in some trouble, (not much), from a police officer who was there. Did you know that Man O' War are protected species in the state of Florida, and that you cannot harass them at all. (I said it was harassing me, - he kind of chuckled a bit and told me not try to net around them and I was about to give up anyway so no real loss).

Knock on wood, I haven't bumped into any Tiger sharks, I don't think they come around my area. I got 2 boats already. One is the "Can't be Seen", not because of its ninja or speed qualities, but because the guy who recently moved out to Kentucky said "I can't be seen on this boat". Ugly as sin, it is fast and rides shallow - before the engine fell off. Had to drift at sea with two people who can't swim at night...good times. Will have a new engine soon enough, but it is generally cheaper these days to buy a boat with an engine and a trailer than just a short shaft 20 horse. I don't know if I can live with just a 6 on my 14 foot aluminum jon boat. :) In the Keys the guys at the dock would be laughing at us as we head out, but I never had to stay within the channels, and there is a whole lot of pristine real estate to be explored when you can run in the shallows.

The other boat is the "Big Catch", not because we are raking in the kingfish, it got its name for being a nice cuddy cabin that I got on the cheap, with one big catch, the engine takes on water mysteriously at times. That will be a good dive boat shortly, got a good mechanic friend taking a look at her and the problem is something that comes and goes and doesn't force her to stay on land. Inboard/Outboards are a pain though.

one day, one day....,I am going to save my money head out there and tell Sallie Mae to come find me if they can :)

Wild dolphins are cool at about 30 feet distance. We see them a lot, but usually at a good distance. They have zoomed near me a few times now, scares me each time. In the murk I first think "shark!", then I think "oh man they are going to bump into me!" (probably equally fatal right?) They never do and seem to know where they are going, but it is nerve racking to me all the same. When they get a few yards away I am much more comfortable. I greatly prefer nearby barracuda then nearby dolphin, at least the barracuda stay relatively still. I am usually alone and it takes some getting used to to say the least. Was your brother a bit scared jacobnano?

Leaping fish don't bother me. I think, "well there is some food in the water other than me, so I am going to be fine". I am a chain smoker, so I figure they won't want to mess with me because I am likely to cause cancer.

However, I do get a little frightened when surprised in the ocean, I once turned around to see a very large shark following me at close range with my brother in tow armed with a speargun. I just kept thinking if this shark starts acting hungry my brother is going to miss and shoot me with the speargun. ;)

Thanks for pming me dirtwheelsfl. I will call you tomorrow, was just busy today catching up on CUC inquiries.

hey john how often do you see sharks out in FL waters?

hey john how often do you see sharks out in FL waters?

They are always there, you just don't always see them!

hammerheadsharks1-1.jpg

The red anemones came from some of those rocks you see here. And this is when it's clear. Right on the other side, the water is 60 feet deep and a major channel into a large bay. You have to ignore your imagination when the visibility is crappy and you thought you saw something out of the corner of your eye.

cdTylerisokaybutcold.jpg

I'm sure it's worse for John since he's in it every day. I do tend to avoid high currents, when I'm sure they're cruising for food.

Ya know guys...if your on SCUBA I really wouldn't be to afraid of them...you sound like a freight train underwater on open circuit scuba gear...if your snorkeling then thats a whole different story...

Ya know guys...if your on SCUBA I really wouldn't be to afraid of them...you sound like a freight train underwater on open circuit scuba gear...if your snorkeling then thats a whole different story...

Yes but on a short board you are a tasty tasty morsel (I have never seen a seal in Florida but Shark Week says it so it MUST be true :lol: )

Yes but on a short board you are a tasty tasty morsel (I have never seen a seal in Florida but Shark Week says it so it MUST be true :lol: )

"BUT DAAAAAAD... ITS SHARK WEEK!"

ROFL. Classic.

They are always there, you just don't always see them!

That is about right. If you include nurse sharks, (they get big enough to make you heart jump the first couple of times you run into them), I have a shark encounter about twice a week. There are just a lot of nurse sharks in my area. Other more predatory sharks are less, although I have seen schools of lemons, and then there are black tips...It is pretty common to run into a shark. As long as you see them in the distance it isn't so bad, it is when they sneak up on you, or you dive under a ledge and come face to face that you get a little taken back by it. You get used to it pretty quickly and then it isn't so bad. Eels in holes you put your hand near, stone crabs in holes you put your hand in, and stingrays you accidentally step on heading out on the flats is probably the greatest dangers. Scorpionfish too are a pain. I haven't been stung yet, but I have been real close so many times it will happen eventually I am sure. I hear it is painful.

I haven't seen a wild seal in Florida either, (they do have them in Orlando at SeaWorld though), but I would really like to. In Lake Jackson in Tallahassee there was a family of otters that lived on an embankment I would fish from. Very cool animals. I always wanted to have a few, but lack a pond and it is probably illegal I am guessing.

...Scorpionfish too are a pain. I haven't been stung yet, but I have been real close so many times it will happen eventually I am sure. I hear it is painful....

Uggh, I've had that exact thought. Usually they aren't very aggressive, but recently I had one swim toward my hand. Fortunately I saw this one. Most I don't see until I see them swimming away from my hands. I finally started using gloves after so many scrapes and cuts.

Be careful John!!!!!

gloves would be a good idea. I own some, but have a problem removing holdfasts with them so I rarely bring them out. I am clumsy enough as it is! :) I love that picture of you in the murk, that is funny as can be.

I snorkel mostly, sometimes free dive when I forget to bring the gear, still have to get scuba certified. I have done it before, just not legally. Stupid yes, but I was with someone who did it all the time, and well I was at a stupid age then. Kind of a hassle lugging all that stuff around I would imagine, but coming up to the surface is a hassle too.

hey yardboy, what country is that in those pics?

Siquijor Island, The Philippines. Center for Coral Diversity in the Pacific! (as per Veron)

I started wearing the gloves because of the scorpionfish, but discovered that brittlestars can be removed from rocks without damage wearing them. Don't ask me why.

So Mr. JohnMaloney whats your excuse for not being certified yet??? all you reef rats and so little divers...hard to believe...

my boat isn't ready yet. i will probably get certified then, i just always had something else that had to be purchased before the class.

very cool yardboy. i am clumsy with gloves, they are nice to have though, especially in your situation, barnacles on jetties are the pits. I would like them for the oyster reefs...

just get your personal gear...mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit....no excuses...I have heard them all....you out near Lauderdale at all...I know a grip load of instructors in that neck of the woods...

I really don't know what you're talking about with the fancy diving terms (I'm a city boy, the closest I've ever come to an ocean is a saltwater swimming pool and my nano tank). I gotta say you guys have balls.

I don't even like sticking my hands into my nano, and that's all of what 12" deep?

I really don't know what you're talking about with the fancy diving terms (I'm a city boy, the closest I've ever come to an ocean is a saltwater swimming pool and my nano tank). I gotta say you guys have balls.

I don't even like sticking my hands into my nano, and that's all of what 12" deep?

Awww, c'mon, it ain't so scary

216600331_b1d5b8d82b.jpg

just get your personal gear...mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit....no excuses...I have heard them all....you out near Lauderdale at all...I know a grip load of instructors in that neck of the woods...

:D ...true enough, I have made most of the excuses. Is there really that many different life forms at 30+ feet? I already know the answer but... :D

I also don't like wetsuits, just goofy and time consuming. Are they really necessary? I don't mind 60 degrees, but I know it can get cold down there....I also like the freedom of getting out to the water and jumping in and not bothering with much gear. My friends who SCUBA, spend tops 2-3 hours in the water on an 8 hour day. I am in the water 7 hours and get cigarette breaks. That said I already have all the personal gear...eh...sometime in the next 12 months or so I will get around to it.

LAuderdale is too far, I got a dive shop pretty close by, there classes are reasonably priced, wish they had it all in one day though....this three days of 3 hour classes stuff usually doesn't fit within my schedule. No rentals though for me, I don't like charter rides, defeats the purpose of being out there on your own if you have to do what the dive boat says and go where they go.

Deleted User 6

John, are there any times during the year that you don't make it out? Or does the water/conditions usually stay reasonable enough to get out and do your thing?

John, diving and snorkeling are not mutually exclusive. Often, after a deep dive that requires some surface interval, I'll snorkel while I wait. Doesn't hurt my surface interval and keeps me in the water.

There can be a lot more in slightly deeper water, but mostly it's when you find something but didn't quite get it because you had to go back up to take a breath. I rarely take pictures when I'm snorkeling, but always take both collection equipment and my camera when I dive.

Archived