Top Shelf Aquatics

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

great pics!

love the blenny. wish i had something that would eat algae.

what kind of algae is it? its been eating this brown hair algae, but im not sure if it will touch the green hair algae or other ones...ill let you know. my tang is joining in the action as well, picking on the hair algae. so is my flame angel

my fave tank so far.

thanks =)

Edited by disaster999
what kind of algae is it? its been eating this brown hair algae, but im not sure if it will touch the green hair algae or other ones...ill let you know. my tang is joining in the action as well, picking on the hair algae. so is my flame angel

my algae is GHA, but nothing wants to eat it. you can see it here:

DSC_0076_2.jpg

i've been avoiding buying an urchin because i didn't want it to eat my corraline, but i'd rather that than have the tank overrun with GHA.

GHA is really hard to deal with. im not sure how you feel about dosing your tank with chemicals, but one thing i found thats really effective is api's algaefix marine. it rid my tank of nasty pest algae (kelp looking thing forgot what it was called) and some of the stubborn algae on the glass that was impossible to clean with the mag float.

i would take out the chaeto first if you have any since it will kill those too.

nice fish btw, i dont know if a jaw fish is known for grazing on algae. blennys are better at that

i wonder whos tired of me constantly flooding my build thread with ridiculous amounts of picture :P

anyways, heres more, took some pictures, and top down shots last night when moving some of my corals over

DSC_3654.JPG

DSC_3655.JPG

DSC_3665.JPG

top down pics

zoa garden with pissed of zoas thats bleaching under the new light...need time to heal recover and encrust that part of the tank

DSC_3658.JPG

DSC_3662.JPG

Birdsnest

DSC_3659.JPG

Cat paw

DSC_3661.JPG

Clam

DSC_3672.JPG

Milli

DSC_3676.JPG

• Like 3

i finally took down my 20gal tank and transferred the last rock into the this tank. i reworked the scape a little and i think this one by far looks the best.

DSC_3678.JPG

DSC_3681.JPG

DSC_3682.JPG

• Like 1
i dont mine sticking my entire hand in there to feed it..its only...23" of water in a almost 6 feet tall tank. ;)

23" isnt it on your sandbed?

6ft tall...u would have to dive in there every 3 days to feed it lol.

23" isnt it on your sandbed?

6ft tall...u would have to dive in there every 3 days to feed it lol.

by 6 ft i mean the overall height of the tank+ stand. tank is 30" tall, water level is 4" from the rim. sand bed is 2-3" thick. so the actual water height is around 23". i would have to dunk my head into the water as well if i want to see what im doing :P

Looks awesome!

thanks =)

• 2 weeks later...
Dang! Looks killer!

thanks =)

got some new frags, picked theses up at a LFS, probably the tips broken off the mother colony when they were being shipped.

milli

DSC_3687.JPG

im guessing staghorn, but im not sure

DSC_3684.JPG

finally a mystery piece...im guessing some sort of monti

DSC_3685.JPG

finally, i thought this milli was long gone, since it was bleached before, then the colors came back but doesnt seem like theres any sign of life....decided to hang on to it. im glad i did cuz i can see polyps extending.

DSC_3689.JPG

Edited by disaster999

Tank looks great. I especially like the frogspawn and the schools of fish. It looks alot bigger than 100g.

wow i hate u soo much.

must be a pain to feed that dendro?

Dendros are not that hard to feed. They pretty much stay open most of the time and are pretty hardy. Their tentacles are long and pretty sticky so they catch the food pretty well. Atleast it's not sun corals. Now that will be alot harder to feed at that distance trying to feed each head.

Tank looks great. I especially like the frogspawn and the schools of fish. It looks alot bigger than 100g.

Dendros are not that hard to feed. They pretty much stay open most of the time and are pretty hardy. Their tentacles are long and pretty sticky so they catch the food pretty well. Atleast it's not sun corals. Now that will be alot harder to feed at that distance trying to feed each head.

thanks. the frogspawn is my favorite coral so far, its been through a lot and at the end it pulled through and grown a lot better than expected.

• 2 weeks later...

thats true, larger tanks do have more room for rocks and corals, but maintenance also increases as well. water changes is a lot larger, equipment is more expensive, you have to dose a lot more...etc etc

thats true, larger tanks do have more room for rocks and corals, but maintenance also increases as well. water changes is a lot larger, equipment is more expensive, you have to dose a lot more...etc etc

But in the end it's all worth it... :D

• 3 weeks later...
disaster999

its been a while since i last updated the status on my tank...so far nothing has changed. i added a fuge light, been dosing amino acids and feeding the tank once a week with a mixture of frozen food, oyster eggs, shrimp meat, and garlic. hair algae is growing in my tank as well and im not sure if its because of the amino acids or not. i dont think its my food since i only feed once a week.i gotta change out the phosban and try some rowa.

did some quick and dirty shots of my tank...been pretty busy lately.

DSC_3793.JPG

this bubble tip nem is nice and happy, ive been feeding it chunks of shrimp meat and it instantly puffed up. it almost double in size.

DSC_3799.jpg

this milli is showing signs of growth

Feb 9

DSC_3687.JPG

Mar 16

DSC_3802.jpg

not so much with this coral, dont think it grew much...

Feb 9

DSC_3685.JPG

Mar 16

DSC_3803.jpg

birdnest is growing pretty well.

Jan 13

DSC_3574.JPG

Mar 16

DSC_3804.jpg

random hair algae growing in my tank

DSC_3794.jpg

DSC_3795.jpg