Innovative Marine Aquariums

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

disaster999

Well this is it, the lease on this place is up and were moving to a new permanent place. This tank is too big to be moved down the narrow stairs to its final resting place so I had to let it go. I sold the tank for as much as I paid for it minus transportation fee so I got my money's worth over the past 2 years. Good thing is I still have my old tank so I dont need to spend anymore money. Just gotta clean it back up and ill be good to go.

I spend 2 nights clearing the tank, removing all of the corals the first day and the fish and sand and equipment the next. Man I didnt realize how much my coral grew in these 2 years. I dont think I'll be able to fit all of them into my old tank. I will be fragging a lot of them out. My iconic frogspawn in my tank broke into a million pieces as i tried to move it so thats gonna be fragged out and sold as well. Just hope people want my stuff....I have no place to put themomgomgomg

Heres the tank ready to be picked up

ET0jdX4fSbrputzyALERZjFBXvT2E1-vbfLmG4r0nMqam0-JGmCIpdRENCUo2LZvzETGW6m84jckQz_T0Yz4ax97X5xRzwmyvICVh_zt4qt7rUaz7APFQEGADSfSLh9-lgiLyzfBTUdyWSxwbmHpGi0Mq3DhtP3nZ1d1usG4Njrl0y3KgyZdrklGLIQQsHFhV1DCEPBXqi5rliuuhTwMKeORo4onNsf8jCkGXDZUpwyupoO4NvF4pkHO88vJQy659ONrKQpBpNRv5JOA3DgBX0vzsRfqk9Wk-Pp-fl1PoNyBJkkB6XBHUZrpkeouxL5Qjaf2nvTujtgPgDCgU8oeu4wgVkmPqMd54zdLgYEVrtt2xhQzcmUJvM6YyH6SKlU0bjZOXaYceI3TBt4CCg1Ba66WotsEFsXTrkJxJP4A_5XsnMOZasZjHhzoV56PNJA2_jfqKCZVM2Pil2vY8SbLuIi45VL9xY05LERLbKu2kNXRUG0OC16ZnKut-ztcgLkuK3F0gUpfIq8PRkdZmiH7s3UxoYelTJOixjKcftpvgO9g8cQBdOQnLdGdJgt5204J-7UuSz1hvtxTGkGNz8EsJfcLjuIFaEeIUjhIPRUjFA0wWyz86ym8-w=w891-h668-no

All my frags minus the frogspawn

5qHs2oE_jFGguoMDs2WLCa8IQv3qteTfCAXFYoftFnce7XHW7UXNK1WhLydr9QLkwVMZfSNlziEFSijA81Q10U_m-C9WoEpM71t3sBT7X7LWhdvH7SftQkSvUiRQ7-LGn9gDW1vHWm9yjMvz0CiHY9mYudgM-XEzZb5q0-j4-hGiaiOQ3JSQJECZlRzKb40FmdvabbFxT7ISwRKvvCQxjXlOU9WdwMSpPJeAgfhVFTsWFHGt9kpt4DamsVIz1lA34IHr4C1LSW-Hp_o1QlynBL0CYiOOlk_aRpyxgfN16SR6JE1vtbpqI5-HH8uR8eInmJ3xuaWuZFYKV5bqR8WDDZbwS0ksAB7x36ybeodnqVtmAq4Y6oopvUKE-EyMKAVWCL3GjKF2GYOPCAngV-kibvuR_rABcFzHIpOwBrNxVR4yycUHPz93ndKon0QLHc3bnfP63T9CO4bnyHc43ll9yzrNjWj3co4PDfksNE05fc35HvKNFC907k8UgwvKH1jXmJw1kbhlKX4tpCWpsnyMORRqVRSPgyKJ9XSqewh5bFbGKTXNxmnJ9Bx-fAPv5_FHDTeXse3glObI63Bl4ZOdU4jMNwiHmgIrYboM2VfFP4Q3NYFbzIriKA=w891-h668-no

• Like 1
disaster999

Well this took WAY longer than expected. Spend 2 days moving everything to the new place, another 2 just to set my tank up. My back is done for, my arms are like spaghetti, my hands are so rough by handling rocks and stone so much my phone's fingerprint sensor dont even recognize my thumbs anymore...just so I can get my tank setup 90% of the way.

pkpsrhsahU7D8MH8ZWUVPOO1wgFiIsod7ETqRa22l4SmNM0JONQKIiDHpW69AO4pD-at7Pbpa4sva9v-2C3Tr8Ak3dtz0MEnSsvqi6eW3h2bA1iSF4i54ISyBF3zLgmwMOtBcsSNcWDQJ0wN0oYD4QROGrvPFHWojRXysNHw7rCY-o8J2N0tgvNzK7oDUS2F3VJflM6rmRLSYxtHFfiB2DCSfZ1LLFe8BBAmrE0b0w8-4lGYfYFv4L-NKe9QQsOKBnDb8JFDvwla6BbOK3Bkvw0xEmVBo-KzPBtd15L7b5O-VSFstRpC33dojYtXtorcyK9c6H1PXRS4UVuqpPGEXwNxOitSkkkHHSYZJed9nO4urTaxoUmhWBIs837U01yGrWEs8mjePFaT1_nIXU6olSTW76HKWEiH7Z5a4ZEqXfd99wJsG2fnqx3sg293got2_GPUN2eKamZM-bE6HR22y6U0avzUbgodsK9eoIR97rbbEXpZIlp8fU2UUttng-tNw7sDxeoyPLScUDoZ9FZaq-_lLN8XTfmdAxv05n5cUvakhIqdbhfybbFpH-DbxbmFDVe3TJYLkzFYpGh3_vBeNhFBsx7uUoQtCUcTve4pI76C5s1h99-1vA=w1267-h950-no

I mostly got all my rocks and coral inside my tank. I had to trim some down just so they would fit while a few pieces unfortunately didnt survive the move. As you can see my frog spawn disintegrated during the move into roughly 10 pieces and they couldnt all fit inside my 24" tank I have setup which could be my grow out tank or a quarantine tank depending on the needs.

uKG8f39tNBHJXB_swadlVDEFJTfEYKKcufalSizsg89sGPHCG58AnttxshN-QwEGiu8y32Kn22FzGehMBoyl7PR6hkT5gW_rMITQvOWNfSCLBXnIapVo2-SGtT1fROKzMgrSoShdC0qwA7zoU7pmwReru596j17iQaPtEZZfPUsIHLXHe-ybe4cOT9T86QawO8TcvUInmkUGJw6BZGEB7_esE8_nsTEFIkWyUrIma8vYWPNCHKPPnF5VN8KRffhB3PQSxr3bEZ3PJgnjqw_7liqujPltRdn1f8sS5iw8YEkVPlGpa0tPIOOzZWuMoFOKef41d8o02Nzwdi-cL6tIOuXccGCb9g33RGX5avNtRvG90oSpstYwL6gBKHgfEcQY9f1xW9Pc7L0Q88AnLrqmmyCh0zV5MSJkzCG8eYoQcCvI8vJLPAfh_8xPXAC062w0KY0Y_kmxHa5QYGIs4ngYSa8nPSpWGDMWypgQvTG9MKDoo6mV7oIQkktvVbgq2DF_uBlkiLBxKQ6fUI_3q9aQzsNmug9NMMIsstrE6V7sG98x-k6aLjm5hzH3atI1UXeS3OuMCy1f70yvNU_fiw8LKZs9Ji9TaClLgacyTvOyJSypxsncB6QMGw=w1267-h950-no

I have so much frogspawn in here they are just stacking on top of each there. Gonna sell them cheap

sJ0uI0GULJS0hl_L5_f4LhIQZOX5_tM7x8ZQ0Lmeu_cgH4cmvS5Sc5QZoTtfk3RYOtIHZf5VGw0f-3klGH3NjhJcw0ZfntoKbJ0ZEiSLX95L6jz_vP_MAaGEcoNJ1qHTpl59Klv7DH_0tVgtjx2sXG0aeieUwyufodsjJ6DxVQFAES6wgwb-EgJdLAFLigQZaonaOdEtjan1HVz5mMvSMQBGM-gf9nO_JUPYCZmp5WPfLTynUXm3SESIHSJx2e7qFNvQoig_O9w17fyB9IR81HSKTzj_X_DBNFyQ3UILXwEine7rQ5Bvc6AcnzMURRmqWtbnN7u8qENfOah8h28GIR8t7qsaBtwMU-bqXbSCzz-qvPAps6_CbJq8YD590RBoIqsXojXjtliQCD9cEPBJ2GkEyN1VVoB-LOAXN8gzvaYyfu5_EQJhGi6L1hUcmGnV0KA0MOqPHfhmQxJJFKsO_xBGu-NuqsCSMQmMdLblFXtmIJhVA3Qq35TN4nYUgW0J7ppy5VVN8RqW63fJtzyrujL_W1mm16uHya_fDP9AIOv-MMkyJRf8FO5kBTzyPDDazA67lemLhUQNUP8oHadwEcEqPQtefjmYrwblGWkPSV6TJ1WMFhdDrw=w1267-h950-no

Heres the look of the overall room. Still a lot of work that needs to be done, but at least I have easy access to a sink and crazy high water pressure so maintenance is a lot easier than before.

Thats it for now, ill update you all later

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
disaster999

Its been a month and a half since the move and Im happy to say my corals are beginning to bounce back. Ive kept up with water changes and been doing 50% every 2 week. All my corals seem to like it and have crazy polyp extension. The new growth have pretty good coloration and some corals are getting their colors back. Gonna be a while before my tank is presentable again, but Im positive.

Heres some of the more presentable ones

aawefPblm-WpmRfVNyBPea2wNhxpPWBwKtmQtT0Q

2XLjktpjsj3S3cWmnfN9ejiTmVWSLVdwig9XJuLv

breKNHmEXRaNOO5oOGvaxYuCTxo1IKnmEMvceTkN

These I bought after the move. They are Australian corals which costed an arm and a leg, but theyve kept their color pretty well

nyWRqAruPC_LdDBTfduUOOBXcFlZCVnQngFkb6dz

b6GJRxpW3jX-lN9jTGgX7FbY92rob2ghAGynl-gn

Heres a quick snap of what my tank looks like right now

mFBJ7p7WOoSOdA_NoVmIDJveClB0f22hhDlZ0nHt

• Like 6
disaster999

Finally got off my lazy ass and did some work with my water changing setup. Its not quite finished yet as I need to add another pipe connecting the 2 pails together at the bottom. But I will wait till my next water change as they are full of water right now and dont want waste it.

My idea is that with them connected, water level on both pails will be the same. I have a pump on the left pail and the output of the pump is fed into the right pail via the PVC piping you see in the picture below. That way the pump will circulate the water in both pail and and mix the water when I add the salt. Once the water is fully mixed, I can shut off the valve on the right, connect a hose to the barb and open up the valve after the T and water will be pumped to my tank. Once I finish up my water change, I will fill the pails back up with fresh RODI water and I can fill up my top off water container easily by just flipping a switch and opening a valve.

This saves me from carrying buckets ever again, making water changes a breeze.

lwwoHMu0oFJv3h9ZFBgNIP8e7gWEaOk1Max7U0pq

• Like 1
Weetabix7
5 minutes ago, disaster999 said:

Finally got off my lazy ass and did some work with my water changing setup. Its not quite finished yet as I need to add another pipe connecting the 2 pails together at the bottom. But I will wait till my next water change as they are full of water right now and dont want waste it.

My idea is that with them connected, water level on both pails will be the same. I have a pump on the left pail and the output of the pump is fed into the right pail via the PVC piping you see in the picture below. That way the pump will circulate the water in both pail and and mix the water when I add the salt. Once the water is fully mixed, I can shut off the valve on the right, connect a hose to the barb and open up the valve after the T and water will be pumped to my tank. Once I finish up my water change, I will fill the pails back up with fresh RODI water and I can fill up my top off water container easily by just flipping a switch and opening a valve.

This saves me from carrying buckets ever again, making water changes a breeze.

lwwoHMu0oFJv3h9ZFBgNIP8e7gWEaOk1Max7U0pq

Nice!!!

Tank's not looking bad either, in the last FTS. 

• Like 1
Weetabix7
Just now, disaster999 said:

Thanks Weet.

Give me a few months for everything to color up and Ill post up more pictures again

I gotta wait a few months for more pics?????

But, but, but...... how will I survive? :unsure:

disaster999
21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I gotta wait a few months for more pics?????

But, but, but...... how will I survive? :unsure:

Haha, fiiinnnneeeee, Ill include some progress pictures along the way just for you:happy:

• Like 1
Weetabix7
19 minutes ago, disaster999 said:

Haha, fiiinnnneeeee, Ill include some progress pictures along the way just for you:happy:

:wub:

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 8:43 PM, disaster999 said:

Well this is it, the lease on this place is up and were moving to a new permanent place. This tank is too big to be moved down the narrow stairs to its final resting place so I had to let it go. I sold the tank for as much as I paid for it minus transportation fee so I got my money's worth over the past 2 years. Good thing is I still have my old tank so I dont need to spend anymore money. Just gotta clean it back up and ill be good to go.

I spend 2 nights clearing the tank, removing all of the corals the first day and the fish and sand and equipment the next. Man I didnt realize how much my coral grew in these 2 years. I dont think I'll be able to fit all of them into my old tank. I will be fragging a lot of them out. My iconic frogspawn in my tank broke into a million pieces as i tried to move it so thats gonna be fragged out and sold as well. Just hope people want my stuff....I have no place to put themomgomgomg

Heres the tank ready to be picked up

ET0jdX4fSbrputzyALERZjFBXvT2E1-vbfLmG4r0nMqam0-JGmCIpdRENCUo2LZvzETGW6m84jckQz_T0Yz4ax97X5xRzwmyvICVh_zt4qt7rUaz7APFQEGADSfSLh9-lgiLyzfBTUdyWSxwbmHpGi0Mq3DhtP3nZ1d1usG4Njrl0y3KgyZdrklGLIQQsHFhV1DCEPBXqi5rliuuhTwMKeORo4onNsf8jCkGXDZUpwyupoO4NvF4pkHO88vJQy659ONrKQpBpNRv5JOA3DgBX0vzsRfqk9Wk-Pp-fl1PoNyBJkkB6XBHUZrpkeouxL5Qjaf2nvTujtgPgDCgU8oeu4wgVkmPqMd54zdLgYEVrtt2xhQzcmUJvM6YyH6SKlU0bjZOXaYceI3TBt4CCg1Ba66WotsEFsXTrkJxJP4A_5XsnMOZasZjHhzoV56PNJA2_jfqKCZVM2Pil2vY8SbLuIi45VL9xY05LERLbKu2kNXRUG0OC16ZnKut-ztcgLkuK3F0gUpfIq8PRkdZmiH7s3UxoYelTJOixjKcftpvgO9g8cQBdOQnLdGdJgt5204J-7UuSz1hvtxTGkGNz8EsJfcLjuIFaEeIUjhIPRUjFA0wWyz86ym8-w=w891-h668-no

All my frags minus the frogspawn

5qHs2oE_jFGguoMDs2WLCa8IQv3qteTfCAXFYoftFnce7XHW7UXNK1WhLydr9QLkwVMZfSNlziEFSijA81Q10U_m-C9WoEpM71t3sBT7X7LWhdvH7SftQkSvUiRQ7-LGn9gDW1vHWm9yjMvz0CiHY9mYudgM-XEzZb5q0-j4-hGiaiOQ3JSQJECZlRzKb40FmdvabbFxT7ISwRKvvCQxjXlOU9WdwMSpPJeAgfhVFTsWFHGt9kpt4DamsVIz1lA34IHr4C1LSW-Hp_o1QlynBL0CYiOOlk_aRpyxgfN16SR6JE1vtbpqI5-HH8uR8eInmJ3xuaWuZFYKV5bqR8WDDZbwS0ksAB7x36ybeodnqVtmAq4Y6oopvUKE-EyMKAVWCL3GjKF2GYOPCAngV-kibvuR_rABcFzHIpOwBrNxVR4yycUHPz93ndKon0QLHc3bnfP63T9CO4bnyHc43ll9yzrNjWj3co4PDfksNE05fc35HvKNFC907k8UgwvKH1jXmJw1kbhlKX4tpCWpsnyMORRqVRSPgyKJ9XSqewh5bFbGKTXNxmnJ9Bx-fAPv5_FHDTeXse3glObI63Bl4ZOdU4jMNwiHmgIrYboM2VfFP4Q3NYFbzIriKA=w891-h668-no

That tank looks familiar, is it the iconic "A Reef In the Sky"? 

• Like 2
disaster999
On 5/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, Asureef said:

That tank looks familiar, is it the iconic "A Reef In the Sky"? 

Yeah, It was. Right now, not so much.:D

On 5/3/2017 at 7:50 AM, disaster999 said:

Promises, promises....

• Like 1
disaster999
53 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Promises, promises....

I was just about to post some updates haha :D

Was doing my routine water change this weekend and I would feel my corals with some fish pellets and took come pictures...I think I overfed them

St_uhOkGC0_einoz75GPD4FMUJqMKHiygtsSjB4K

Then I noticed these weird "worms" on the brain coral...I have no idea what they are.

Fva7AgvFJNZjeK3QU6ycghsVSqu87jqy9XZi0-wE

Bought a new piece of SPS coral too, It looked better in person tho. I really need to dust off my DSLR for some real photos

aRZR6QUlK19-sbC8axDoX796yqlceiQJ2ymyEFgX

A quick top down shot, a lot of the corals' base starting to have a hint of florescent green showing, I hope it means colors are starting to come back

2epOsAokQ68pTF0nmaIzTZ4R0oIKsDgATGIUv9Ie

• Like 1
7 hours ago, disaster999 said:

I was just about to post some updates haha :D

Was doing my routine water change this weekend and I would feel my corals with some fish pellets and took come pictures...I think I overfed them

St_uhOkGC0_einoz75GPD4FMUJqMKHiygtsSjB4K

Then I noticed these weird "worms" on the brain coral...I have no idea what they are.

Fva7AgvFJNZjeK3QU6ycghsVSqu87jqy9XZi0-wE

Bought a new piece of SPS coral too, It looked better in person tho. I really need to dust off my DSLR for some real photos

aRZR6QUlK19-sbC8axDoX796yqlceiQJ2ymyEFgX

A quick top down shot, a lot of the corals' base starting to have a hint of florescent green showing, I hope it means colors are starting to come back

2epOsAokQ68pTF0nmaIzTZ4R0oIKsDgATGIUv9Ie

Brain worms!!!!

You have some pretty stuffs, thanks for letting me know you're still alive. :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999

Another mini update...

Tank is doing ok, my corals kind of stopped getting better and they all look pretty much the same these few weeks...then this happened. The most expensive coral I bought, RTNed on me. I tried to frag is but it was too late.:rant:

rk_y3eWikmNwmL_QFQHBx33B6WWfTkSJZnpLxE73

Cleaned my ATS/Fuge out also. Was expecting macro algae and stuff, but im only left with this gel like goo...There wasnt that much in there also. Not sure what im doing wrong.

_ioiHCVYEA8bXaAX6S0dPrOIerXyiTbPaOcXhY1F

X6xA37iOjimv5j82tldIh1cDB2JKBiWdH-uyBWj7

Finally upgraded my water changing system, The one I designed before doesnt work. I couldnt pump water into the other can and expect that small tube at the bottom to transfer the same amount back without a huge level different or mechanical help of another pump. So I did some rearrangement and instead of having the pump pump water from one can to another, I just put a T in the linking tube at the bottom which feeds into an externally mounted pump. Water is pumped back up into the 2 cans. Valves are installed to change from circulating mode to pumping mode. The whole systems works much better like this.

YvOY8fYq0wMNQ3Ye5JG6XEyguxBniTCpDtCxFJV-

PPYxXBeCvRx6dWt_wwFVuh4SGZOfNfKIelMsGUSO

• Like 2

Bah, the favorites always go.  I lost a nice pink one due to po4 dropping too low.  That also tends to turn algae into goo so perhaps that is your problem as well?

disaster999
9 hours ago, dpoltsdsu said:

Thats frustrating. Are any more RTN'ing?

just that one for now...

10 hours ago, markalot said:

Bah, the favorites always go.  I lost a nice pink one due to po4 dropping too low.  That also tends to turn algae into goo so perhaps that is your problem as well?

my PO4 has always been undetectable with salifert test kits, i should really get the hanna checker

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to see the tank got shut down but glad to see you rebooted your old tank. Everything is looking pretty good after the move.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999
On 6/29/2017 at 9:48 PM, RollaJase said:

Sorry to see the tank got shut down but glad to see you rebooted your old tank. Everything is looking pretty good after the move.

Thanks Rolla, slowly by surely things are looking up. Still got a bunch of corals whos color still look pretty meh but the ones that is bouncing back are doing nicely.

Just picked this up also, a little expensive but Ive always like these particular color of millie.

cmOGcr4eZaXTMSQ35IPJcbDw39dXOjy3Q-rRrxJG

• Like 4

That could be it, if your PO4 and nitrate become too low, I've seen new colonies rtn. They may need the extra nutrients to rebuild lost Zooxanthellae.

• Like 1