SaltCritters.com

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

Sounds cold. Not 24c?

If you would just hate for your corals to grow, yes :P

Temps dropped down to 3c, or 37F over the weekend :scarry: . Ambient temps inside my house is under 10c or 50F. Its never this cold in Hong Kong and I wasnt prepared for it. The single heater in my tank couldnt keep up so I bought a 500W heater yesterday and together it only managed to raised my tank up to 21.7c or 71.1F overnight.

Its fun to see the heating element glowing red inside the heater. I hope it doesnt blow up haha

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yup, these are the new Maxspect Ethereal lights.There are 8 individual "light pucks" on the fixture with 5 LED on each puck bringing it to a total of 130W per fixture. The LED is split into 5 channels, going by memory here:

Ch1 are the cool and neutral whites,

Ch2 are the neutral and warm whites,

Ch3 are the royal blues

Ch4 are the cool blue and cyans

Ch5 are the Violet and UV

• Like 6
jedimasterben

Some slick looking lights there... When are they going to be available to the masses?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Found out

soon, padawan :P

It's good that you took those photos. My tank is 36" long and I'll be getting a single fixture, wasn't sure how high I'd need to hang it to get good spread. :)

soon, padawan :P

It's good that you took those photos. My tank is 36" long and I'll be getting a single fixture, wasn't sure how high I'd need to hang it to get good spread. :)

I would mount them higher up for better coverage. but I think you will have a pretty steep drop off on the edges =( cleaver coral placement is needed...sps in the center with softies on the sides

I'm waiting for my Ethereal too. Sigh.

You wont be disappointed

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I would mount them higher up for better coverage. but I think you will have a pretty steep drop off on the edges =( cleaver coral placement is needed...sps in the center with softies on the sides

You wont be disappointed

I don't have any SPS lol. Though literally for the first time since December 2011 (when I started my first saltwater tank, some of the corals and rocks I have now come from that tank) I actually have coralline growing in the tank instead of dying back, so maybe it's finally 'ready' :lol:

My current light is 15" across, a MarsAqua LED panel, and I get pretty decent coverage with the optics taken off. I have it 12" above the tank, and I could raise it another 8" or so.

Try 12" above the water first and decide if the coverage is enough. Gonna have serious light spillage if you list it up any higher.

Also it would be fun to have the Ethereal and your other diy creation side by side for comparison.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Try 12" above the water first and decide if the coverage is enough. Gonna have serious light spillage if you list it up any higher.

Also it would be fun to have the Ethereal and your other diy creation side by side for comparison.

I'm actually in the planning stage of splitting the system up into two displays on a common sump, each one being a 45cm cube tank. The Ethereal would go over one and an 'evil cluster' over the other :)

The old rocks is pretty much trashed with this random black sludge on it and I cant grow coralline algae for the life of me. I switched out ALL my rocks with new ones.

All cleared up

• Like 6
jedimasterben

The old rocks is pretty much trashed with this random black sludge on it and I cant grow coralline algae for the life of me. I switched out ALL my rocks with new ones.

well damn. just change it all up on us lol.

I actually had the same problem with coralline. I've had a marine tank in one form or other (with a couple of my corals and small pieces of rock dating back to that initial tank) since December 2011 and I've never had a single speck of coralline grow, until a few weeks ago I noticed that my hawkwing conch, which had a clean shell when I got it, was absolutely mullered with the stuff, and then I noticed little specks starting to show all over. The only thing that changed was I was dumping shitloads of Kent Tech M in the tank as a last-ditch effort against bryopsis.

Yeah, last effort to see if new rocks in my system will change that. Im suspecting my old rocks are leaching whatever crap into my tank causing this brown algae/slim to form.

It sucks to pry off all the corals from the rock, but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do. They will grow back.

Nice looking scape, plenty of real estate for SPS :).

6c3du1t.jpg

I gotta get some big SPS pieces to fill in that flat table top on the left so it doesnt look so bare

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
disaster999

Well anyways, picked these up last week

Blue Stag

upload_-1.jpg

Purple/Blue Stag

upload_-1.jpg

As you can see from the last pic, this weird looking "hair aglea" looking thing is growing on my rocks. Been battling that for as long as I can remember and I cant seem to keep it under control.

• Like 6