Innovative Marine Aquariums

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

That is one slick sump!

As for the skimmer i can smell it from here... oh wait nevermind i just cleaned mine and the smell is just stuck in my nose.

God that stuff is foul!

thanks =) i have some regrets on the sump...if i can do it all over again, i would completely change out the design (larger skimmer and return pump area. swap the skimmer and return position so theres less bends and distance for the return pump to travel and shallower baffles)

other than that im quite happy with the setup so far. now i just need lights and MP40 to finish the tank off.

fastandsneaky

wow that tank looks gorgeous and i love the stand. do you have any worries that when you turn off the pump or power outage that the water in the sump might overflow?

wow that tank looks gorgeous and i love the stand. do you have any worries that when you turn off the pump or power outage that the water in the sump might overflow?

Drill a hole in the return outlet into the main tank just below the water level. If the pump shuts down and the water gets below the hole it breaks siphon.

yup nemmy is right. this will allow the nozzles to be aimed into the tank instead of at the surface and still wouldnt empty out your tank and overflow the sump

its been less than a week and my tank cycled already. its nice to buy rocks from an established system. some hitch hikers survived. i have an extremely nice BROWN mushroom, some other clear shrooms, around the tank as well as a snail roaming around my tank. tested my parms and everything checked out. ammonia is zero, nitrate is aorund 0-5, ph is 8.2. havent checked calc and alk yet since they are not important right now.

as soon as im done with finals (monday) i will start to build the light for the tank and get a few fish to test out the water.

pictures of the hitch hikers

DSC_3414.JPG

DSC_3415.JPG

FTS of the tank totally crystal clear

DSC_3417.JPG

i bought a tomato clown today to see if it survives. i cant find any reason for it not to since test shows everything is a-okay and the shrooms and snail all survived.

This is a gorgeous tank and its nice to see something so modern in design. I LOVE your rock work. I just set up a similar tank a couple of days ago and you have inspired me to re-scape. I'm totally in love with your set up and can't wait to watch it develop!

thanks megan. i couldnt of pulled it off if it werent for my friend who helped. it helps to have an extra pair of eyes. you going to have a build thread on your new tank?

update on the clown. so i didnt find him dead this morning. still swimming in this corner he now calls home. gotta find a way of feeding him. so he doesnt starve. i will be setting up lights very soon

sweet rock scape i love it. :)

Yummy! Looks beautiful!

Things are looking great! The system and the scape rock! Can't wait to see this tank mature. :happy:

thanks all :happy:

i cant wait till the system matures as well.but that requires lots of money for new corals and fish :lol:

right now im dealing with high PO4 (1-3ppm), probably leaching from the rocks or the 20 cubes of frozen food...im leaning towards the food more. i added a bag of phosban to the tank so i should see it go down in a day or 2. my other tank had some po4 in there as well and it was gone within 1 day when i added the phosban

thanks =)

went and bought more fish yesterday..didnt take any pictures but ill take some tonight. also i started to move some corals over. the zoas are reacting pretty good to the new tank, as expected. ill move more softies and LPS over later. ill let the fish settle in their new home. the started eating when i dropped pellets in. i guess they are really hungry.