ReefCleaners.org

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

I would go with the 6105 if you can swing it, it is quite a bit more powerful. I don't have any experience with the wave action.

If you are getting a deal I would grab the Tunze but if you are paying a couple hundred for it I would hold off and save up for the Vortech or grab a couple Koralia's in the mean time.

Nice looking tank, sorry to hear about the birdsnest, that is always very sad/frustrating/disappointing. I went to buy a large green one a few months ago, about 10-12" in diameter, it was only $25 for the whole thing... showed up and found out why (it had some aiptasias growing in the middle of it). It sucked having to frag out such a large colony but was a good learning experience for me (I was new to fragging SPS).

disaster999

at first i was thinking of getting a vortech, but from what i read they are better at being a powerhead than creating waves in the tank. for waves its hands down tunze. im not sure if that is really the case. i can add a few more power heads in my tank...but i much rather to have one pump to do everything. less equipment and less power consumption and more free sockets.

an in other news...my huge colony of acro fell victim to my stupid nem...so that drew the line for me...NO MORE BTA FOR ME!!!! i already took one out yesterday. still looking for the other. having it detach from the rocks is hard work. i had to annoy the crap out of it. lucky for me the nem i took out was attached to a small rock so i took that out of the water and let the nem sag and droop. kept pouring water on the base to get it to let go...if i find the other piece im going to point a power head at it.

Dang :(

I'm extremely thankful my RBTA hasn't moved from its rock in over 6 months (pretty much the entire time in the tank). I've almost all but forgot they can do some major damage, every now and then it occurs to me that it could... not a pleasant thought. I remember when it got tangled up with a couple of the tentacles on my hammer :-/

disaster999

my bta used to stay at one place before, but for some reason it decided to roam around in my tank one day. it went back to its original spot a month or 2 later just to split into 2 and wonder off again. i feed sorry for my tomato clowns which have to pretty much follow it around since its their home...and soon to be homeless when i find out the other BTA

i have seen my BTA get caught up with my frogspawn, but the frogspawn kicked its ass.

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

updates on the frags...they are growing pretty good. i placed on frag too close to another and their branches melted together fusing into one. still havent seen their flesh covering the epoxy yet...but im sure over time they will

what surprised me is the mother colony is not completely dead yet. there is a lot of white spots, but some of the branches still have flesh on it and the polyps are fully extended. hopefully the flesh will once again cover the entire skeleton structure.

i have more questions on the wave maker...would sps like the more random flow generated from the vortech, or they work fine with a back and forth motion the tunze creates?

disaster999

so after trying the pump out in my tank, the single controller's function wasnt what i had expected. it pulses the water around, but does not make it into a back and forth wave motion. dont want to spend 250+ on a multicontroller and the new dual pump controller isnt avaliable yet. i decided to make my own diy wave maker

i followed the instructions on reefcentral and with some trouble shooting and some research (on how to make a blinking LED) i was able to create waves in my tank

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411393

DSC_4204.JPG

DSC_4205.JPG

DSC_4208.JPG

DSC_4209.JPG

heres a video of the wave action

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster sorry to hear about all the trouble the nems have caused. But as always the tank looks great.

LostinWater

Got to say, freakin awesome tank. Keep up the great work. I'd keep an eye on that toad stool if you still have that. I had a little quarter size frag 3 years ago. I've fraged it twice now and each time I did it, I frag it into about 8 more frags. I let it grow to about 8-10" circle toad stool. For my little biocube 29, it takes up space quick. Can't wait to see more. 2 thumbs up. :happy:

disaster999
Nicely done disaster! nice waves :happydance:

Thanks sammy

Disaster sorry to hear about all the trouble the nems have caused. But as always the tank looks great.

Thanks bitts. it sucks to have it do so much damage to my sps...but im recovering. i ended up with 2 dozen or so birds nest frags which i hope i can sell/trade them for other frags.

Nice waves!

thanks =)

Got to say, freakin awesome tank. Keep up the great work. I'd keep an eye on that toad stool if you still have that. I had a little quarter size frag 3 years ago. I've fraged it twice now and each time I did it, I frag it into about 8 more frags. I let it grow to about 8-10" circle toad stool. For my little biocube 29, it takes up space quick. Can't wait to see more. 2 thumbs up. :happy:

yeah ill definitely keep and eye out for the toad stool. it grew out pretty fast. it was a nickle sized frag when i got it and in half a year it turned into 3-4" diameter already. i will be fragging it as well when it gets too big, i got to find another place to put it too. my friend gave me 2 more toad stool frags so i will be running out of space very shortly :P

disaster999
Hi disaster, just read over your entire thread. The sps coral you can't seem to identify is a green hydnophora. I have one in my 55g tank. They can get a little tempermental, so don't let them touch other sps colonies.

On another note, hope your birdsnest frags make a big comback to rival the original colony.

skim, you werent kidding about the hydnophora. it fell ontop of one of my sps frag. i corrected asap and the next day half of the frag was dead!!

on other news..some new toys arrived today..what could it be

IMAG0011.jpg

figured it out yet?

IMAG0012.jpg

BAM...my LED frag light build!

IMAG0013.jpg

12x3w constant current driver....$9.60

6 cree q5 white.........................$19.13 @ $3.19 each

5 cree xr-e blue........................$18.82 @ $3.76 each

1 china made red......................$2.21

total.........................................$49.76

just gotta get a heatsink, some wires and i should be good to go

Edited by disaster999
disaster999

i got them in china...my friend knows some people

ill get in touch with you later tonight...maybe i can help

gotta run off to a meeting right now

disaster999

so i was messing with my sump today. it is really filthy as i havent cleaned it at all. also im using a hose too small a diameter for the pump so it was really restricting the flow. well those thing bothered me enough that i decided to take care of the problem today

changing out a larger diameter hose had a night and day difference. my tank is 100% quieter and im getting a lot more flow. brightened up my sump as well with the glass being clean...enough me talking...pictures

DSC_4244.JPG

DSC_4245.JPG

i also took some pics of my new coral i got...traded it with a local reefer. i usually dont take actinic pictures, but these turned out pretty good

DSC_4246.JPG

DSC_4247.JPG

my birdsnest are making a comeback. growing so fast. i gotta sell them/trade them

DSC_4248.JPG

• 4 weeks later...