Coral Vue Hydros

John's Red Sea Max

JohnOTS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally think all my montipora eating nudibranch’s are DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD!

I added a mystery wrasse to my tank about 1 month ago. I noticed the new wrasse spending lots and lots of time around my monti's, I actually have never seen him eat any but they are now gone. The effected corals have grown new growth over all the areas that were chewed on. I understand that a mystery wrasse with its large mouth would be unlikely to eat nudi's, maybe because the mystery is still really small?

All I know is I am really happy to see my digi’s and caps growing again and not receding!

SO do you think the wrasse ate them? Is that the reason you put him in the tank? Very cool looking rig and coral!!

I was talking to a budy that has a shop and he said that he had a mystery wrasse that would eat anything moving small or large. So yes, I did get that fish hoping it would eat the nudi's and it did.

Thanks,

Agreed mine did the same thing....BUT ALSO ATE MY FIRESHRIMP WHEN HE WAS SHEDING! :scarry: So watch out if you ever had any shrimp!

I was thinking about selling my Mystery and getting a Rhomboid Golden Male Wrasse they are suppose to be invert friendly.

Tank looks good....

Agreed mine did the same thing....BUT ALSO ATE MY FIRESHRIMP WHEN HE WAS SHEDING! :scarry: So watch out if you ever had any shrimp!

I was thinking about selling my Mystery and getting a Rhomboid Golden Male Wrasse they are suppose to be invert friendly.

Tank looks good....

I also have a fire shrimp... :o I think my mystery is too small right now to pose a threat to the shrimp. I will be watching though.

Thanks,

wow beautiful tank man :bowdown:

Thanks Man!

I finally have had enough with that Tunze nano skimmer, I will no longer have to adjust it every day! :)

I installed my new :D DELTEC MCE300 :D over the weekend and wow I am soooo happy now. So here goes my initial review of this skimmer.

It appears to be built very well; it feels really solid however it isn’t really heavy like the Warner Marine. It took maybe 10 minutes to completely disassemble to clean and then re-assemble. I didn’t remove the needle wheel impeller so no picture sorry.

Here is a picture of all the components

unassembled.jpg

Here are some shots of it put back together

frontassembled.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

pump.jpg

The return is a good design, the degassing plate works really well. I have zero micro bubbles going back into the tank and no water fall sounds.

return.jpg

Check out the bubbles, keep in mind it has only been on for about 10 minutes, I can’t wait until the break in period is over.

1stday.jpg

In the first two days – keep in mind it also is still breaking in – it had removed more gunk then the Tunze would have in two weeks!

It runs extremely quiet, you can’t really hear the pump, all you can hear is the bubbles.

The only down side so far, is the process in which you start the skimmer. You have to disconnect the intake pipe refill the skimmer with water to flush all the air out of the intake pipe then fire it up. This really doesn’t take that long especially comparing that concern to constantly having to tweak the Tunze.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the decision. I will post some pictures of all the crap that it is pulling out soon.

Nice addition....

Did you sell the Tunze? I am looking for a replacement pump....i can buy it from you?

I did sell it to a budy of mine. Sorry

So that skimmer is a HOB type and doesn't go where the stock one would? BTW awesome tank, I have an RSM that I'm starting and your tank is an insperation for me.

What size chiller are you using??

So that skimmer is a HOB type and doesn't go where the stock one would?

Yes the Deltec is a HOB and I run the input and output right to where the old skimmer was.

Are you still using the stock skimmer?

BTW awesome tank, I have an RSM that I'm starting and your tank is an insperation for me.

Thanks! :)

What size chiller are you using??

I am using the AquaEuroUSA Mighty Pro 1/10 HP, I think 1/10 HP is a little overkill but it leaves room to grow in the future.

So after only four days of operation I am very impressed with this new skimmer. After seeing what the deltec pulls out it confirms my opinion of the Tunze, insufficient.

Here is 4 days of skim, during the break in period too. This is more then I would get in two weeks using the Tunze, not to mention I would be tuning the Tunze every day.

NogFullweek1.JPG

nogcloseweek1.JPG

woh. highly impressive. i would be interested to know how your corals are doing after a month or so, if you see a change in the livestock with a better skimmer.

Did you have to alter the intake or outlet pipe or did it fit as is? It may just be the pictures but it looks like the outlet pipe may have been cut down.

What is the really smooth looking large SPS colony in the middle of the tank? It looks like velvet... very pretty.

Also... man that makes me want that Deltec! I've been searching for a better option than my freakin' modded out 10 yr old BakPak... What did that run you?

Actually... I know this is a lot to ask, but could you tell me what the part number is for this part:

Thats what I really need for my skimmer to work...a good fitting aspirator! My DIY version blows...

post-46829-1266702273_thumb.jpg

woh. highly impressive. i would be interested to know how your corals are doing after a month or so, if you see a change in the livestock with a better skimmer.

I know I cant wait to see if there is any improvement. I have been battleing fungus on all my zoas and am really bummed out! I dont know what to do at this point.

Did you have to alter the intake or outlet pipe or did it fit as is? It may just be the pictures but it looks like the outlet pipe may have been cut down.

I did have to cut down the outlet pipe, about half of it was cut off.

What is the really smooth looking large SPS colony in the middle of the tank? It looks like velvet... very pretty.

What did that run you?

That is a green tip birdsnet colony, it started as a small frag, those suckers grow really fast.

That deltec retails for $225

Actually... I know this is a lot to ask, but could you tell me what the part number is for this part:

I bought the whole thing as a package, its the Deltec MCE300

I did have to cut down the outlet pipe, about half of it was cut off.

What did you use to cut it down? I need to do it to mine but I didn't know the best way to do it.

What did you use to cut it down? I need to do it to mine but I didn't know the best way to do it.

I just used a dremel, probably not the cleanest method but it worked. ;)

Archived