Innovative Marine Aquariums

how to know on api test kits if its out of date ?

marinetanker

hi, i have reef master and saltwater master test kits by api, but i was just wondering how to know if they are out of date as i get zero reading for nitrates in both my old tank and my new frag tank set up few weeks ago ??

thanks

the last 4 digits on the lot number are the manufacturing dates. I beleive most expire after 3-4 years, at least thats what I was told.

0306 so does that mean they are out of date, i only just got these lol

Comprehensive and speedy reply from Gary Jones corporate and scientific affairs manager for Mars Fishcare

''Your question is one that we always welcome. All test kits have a shelf life in which the chemicals degrade. No competitor can say that a test kit will read correctly forever.

Mars Fishcare is the industry leader in testing without exception. Many of our solutions are used for both freshwater and saltwater testing while some are designed exclusively for freshwater. Many of our reagent bottles are used in various kits under API and PondCare brands. In some situations you will notice that two color charts are provided one for freshwater and one for saltwater while other kits have one color chart for both. The need for two color charts is based on chemistry. However you can read the lot number on any kit and determine the manufacturing date. The last four digits represent the month and year of production. So 26a1007 would be produced in October 2007.

Our determined expiration dates are established under extreme conditions. The test kits expiration dates are first established under constant conditions of 40 degree Celsius with 75% humidity for an extended period of time. Our retention samples, which we have for five years of every batch of every product that we make, are also kept in a room with elevated temperatures. This ensures that if the test kits or water conditioners are kept under less extreme conditions that they may exceed our established expiration dating but we suggest following the recommended expiration dating listed below. Some retailers feel using worst case conditions are too conservative, we do not. Some retailers and distributors of our products continue to insist that expiration dates not be placed on the product for this reason. We continue to evaluate this and requests like yours helps us to guide our decisions in the future, for this I thank you.

Test Solutions Expiration Date

PondCare Wide Range pH Test Solution - 3 Years

Ammonia Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years

Ammonia Test Solution # 2 - 3 Years

High Range pH Indicator Solution - 3 Years

Nitrate Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years

Nitrate Test Solution # 2 - 3 years

GH Test Solution - 3 Years

Calcium Test Solution #1 - 3 Years

Calcium Test Solution #2 - 3 Years

Phosphate Test Solution #1 - 3 Years

Phosphate Test Solution #2 - 3 Years

Copper Test Solution - 3 Years

KH Test Solution - 4 Years

Nitrite Test Solution - 4 Years

Fresh Water pH Indicator Solution - 5 Years

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=276068

it looks like you my be out of date on a few as your exp date would be 3/09 :(

0306 so does that mean they are out of date, i only just got these lol

yep.

and tell me about it. I just bought a calc test from them and it tells me my new tank has 1000ppm calc, as well as my 2 year old FOWLR tank. I do not dose any chemicals into either tank, the only thing ive ever put in them is chemi pure and no28 trace.

yep.

and tell me about it. I just bought a calc test from them and it tells me my new tank has 1000ppm calc, as well as my 2 year old FOWLR tank. I do not dose any chemicals into either tank, the only thing ive ever put in them is chemi pure and no28 trace.

i got mine from ebay so thats the problem lol, i have contacted them 2 times and they never reply, looks like its down to paypal :)

i got mine from ebay so thats the problem lol, i have contacted them 2 times and they never reply, looks like its down to paypal :)

Try Amazon next time maybe? I only paid like $1 more and it's easier to return stuff.

Same thing happened to me, now I ask for lot numbers before I bid with the buncha theivin' azhats on ebay :angry:

yeah its well bad and they still havent even replied to my paypal dispute, THEIVES, if your in england do not buy from ebay seller ( stacyliggi ). :angry:

I just bought the API reefmaster and having read this thread just checked but I didnt buy from the seller you mention above. I almost did as I remembered the name! I'll check batch numbers when I recieve my test kit.

Archived