-Dual 36 watt PC ABS Hood with 4" cooling fan

-Prizm Skimmer

-Rio 600

-Tronic 50 watt heater

Biological Specifications:

- 5 pounds of live sand from my old reef tank

- 20 pounds of Black Aragonite fine grade sand

- 15 pounds of premium fiji live rock

I made this tank this way to fit on top of my breakfast bar. I wanted this tank to be viewed from every possible angle that you could walk/stand. I painted one side black with spray paint. I plan this tank to only house SPS corals, and one color of mushroom coral. This tank will never have a fish. I also plan on keeping a pair of porcelain crabs. I really want this tank to look very simple and pleasing to the eye in a zen design. I am striving for uniformity in color and not a mixed rainbow of colors that the average reef tank contains. I used black sand because I am an avid photographer and white sand creates a glare effect from the lighting. I believe this will allow me to take clean, crisp pictures that are rich in color. Enjoy.

Today is it's birthdate - 11/17/2003

aww sweet!acoustic ur finally puting together a new tank!post em buddy!.hey you got the same lights i just got for my new 5.5.

anyways more pics please.

hey acoustic you know what i was just thinkin....you an me are like total opposites in the nano world...you like the whole calm ZEN look,and i lik the WILD archy all over the place aquascaping.but we all share one thing in common....our love and our thirst for the reef and its knowledge.

Looking good Acoustic. I'm doing the same thing albeit on a larger scale with a 65G and not on my kitchen counter. :)

Hopefully you skip out on the algae plague that your Alife got.

Ox

looks great. when I was first getting back into this godforsaken hobby I was planning a large 65-75 gallon tank that was to act as a wall to split the livingroom in half. cost of that scared me into a 7 gallon.

I love the concept and it works well. Only thing, and it might not be an issue, is that one rio enough juice to get water flow everywhere and, if so, is it too much juice on the near (closer to the powerhead) side of the tank?

what about 2 smaller powerheads or even one sweep? Just a thought.

Continue to update with pics. I'm curious to see how the black sand looks after a few months.

That does it... I need more electrical outlets... Bigger and better electrical circuits... More tanks... More unused nano equipment taking up space in the sunroom... More catalogs... More corals... More MH parts... and more money.

Damn I'm gonna miss her...

'koos, I almost did the same thing with my ten by setting atop a 40" built-in bookshelf divider between the living room and dining room. Except no outlets were close enough. So I had to place mine where it needed to go instead of where I'd have liked it.

Nicely done.

yin and yang

very nice start, but you need to put the rainforest biotope red-eyed tree frog enclosure next to the reef. Looks like there is room on the shelf, no?

Definitely a canidate for under gravel jets. With that tank aspect ratio you will either need a lot of flow heading from the skimmer end or some heading back from the short viewing panel. While my tank doesn't have 180* viewing I did try to keep the three sides clean and free of equipment.

full%20101203%20copy.jpg

I used a MJ900 into 1/2" pvc. The plumbing in the front of the tank are the two 45* outlet ports. Flow back towards the rockwork by this method is excellent. A spray bar loop might also help get flow out towards the far end of the tank. Here are a couple of links for you to chew on:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sep...t2003/short.htm

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

Couple of comments on sps and black sand in small tanks. SPS in small tanks are great due to their slow growth and fragging potential. However getting appropriate flow in a small tank generally will have you patching holes in your substrate daily. I think the best sps/nano setup would be bare bottom. Black sand will help to some degree since it is larger grain size and won't be blown around quite so bad.

I also love the black substrate. I ran caribsea's version of black substrate for about a year in my minibow. It is a beautiful esthetic however it does require siphoning to keep it clean. Once worms and critters begin to populate it becomes hard to keep it looking nice as most will create white calcareous tubes or have translucent bodies. Cool side is that you can always find mini brittle stars :) Other option is to try to keep the flow high and get all of the junk into the water column for the skimmer to remove.

Wowwzers, dsb that is the coolest looking setup....

Why not put a SCWD under the substrate also and get a nice alternating current from those under gravel jets...

-skeletor-

Under gravel jets aren't a new idea, just one I borrowed. For this small of a tank a sqwd on that loop is just a pain in the but. I wouldn't be oposed to it on a return manifold though. My tank currently only has 1 ph in it and I am thinking I want to keep it that way. You can check a bit lower in this forum for "dsb creation tank" if you would like to know more on my setup.

FWIW I ran my 10g holding tank with 3 side viewing and found major flow variations with just a ho filter / ph combo. Seemed like flow was either really strong or dead as you looked across the tank.

Archived