ReefCleaners.org

1337's 12" Retired contest tank

1337TANKHAX

This is the beginning of my thread documenting the contest tank built for me by Erickrm. Here I'll post my picture updates, as well as keep a list of my budgeted livestock, hardware, and my maintenance. Contest Rules Thread This should give you an idea of where I am so far:

HARDWARE LIST:

Tank: ~6 gallon AIO acrylic cube (12" X 12" X 9")

4/5/10: Removed rock wall, some new coral, some old.

DSC_0910.jpg

12/27 FTS: (Cloudy as hell and dirty b/c of cleaning and feeding, but hey I was cuttin it close)

NEWFTS.jpg

12/14 FTS:

nustuffp4t001.jpg

11/30 FTS:

nustuffpt3028.jpg

11/16 FTS:

nustuffpt2039.jpg

11/2 FTS:

hw008.jpg

10/21 FTS:

newtankstuff007-1.jpg

10/8 FTS:

newtankstuff009.jpg

9/28 FTS:

58026181.gif

Lighting: Nova Extreme 18" 2X18 Watt T5HO

Pump: MJ900

Heater: Hydor Theo 50W

Filtration: Sponge filter, Chemipure (will remove once the tank is finished cycling), LR

Extra Flow: Rio 50 (may or may not use)

LIVESTOCK LIST:

As far as livestock goes, I have a frag of magicians being held by CypressSlayer (getting shipped). I will be doing a mixed reef with mostly softies, a few LPS, as well as a variety of macroalgae, and possibly a few gorgonians. My LR is from LAReefs.

$250 Budget:

Tailspot Blenny: $24

Red Scooter Dragonet: $19

Acan: $20

Acan Echianata: $10

Lobo Brain: $35

Duncan (1+baby): $7

Orange Zoa colony: $35

GBP Zoa Frag (2 polyps): $2

Pink Zoa frag: $5

PD frag: $15

Green Shroom: $5

Orange Ric: $10

Superman Rhodactis X 2: $10

Red Shroom: $5

Fire Fern, Grape Caulerpa, Halimeda: $5

CUC: $8

REMAINING LIVESTOCK BUDGET: $35

MAINTENANCE:

Weekly cleaning and 2 gallon water change, 8 hour light cycle with no actinics yet, dosing 2 part B-Ionic w/ water changes.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm so excited to start. And I figure the chemi-pure will help with the cycle and keep my parameters more stable initially, but once the rock is fully cured and the tank is established my LR should be adequate. Going to pick up my tank right now from the mail building.

I was wondering if anyone was going to rock the false rockwall in this small of a tank. Now i guess the question is how many will do it as well.

Yeah I didn't want to reveal it until now I guess. I hope it's just me. :lol:

But in any case, I still have to epoxy the sand onto the foam, I just needed the tank to see how it would fit and how much trimming it would take before I finished it up. Not much, because Erick's tank is phenomenal, just as I knew it would be. Thanks again Erick!

was thinking about doing something like that but then decided against since I like to move rock work around every now and then. Are you gonna get a thin layer adhesive and put some sand or Crushed LR over it to cover the adhesive?

Yeah, I have some loctite marine epoxy that I'll use to cover the foam, and then I'll cover the epoxy with some crushed LR or sand. After that I'm going to give it a mild vinegar bath because I've heard a few things about eggcrate and foam slowly leaching chemicals into the tank. But as for having less room, it averages at about 1.5" thick, with a ledge on the left. I was planning on Amano-style aquascaping on this tank, so I don't think it will have too much LR.

Very cool, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I hate to be the one to point this out since I just think this should be fun but... Not only have I not recieved my tank but no confirmation on the shipping yet either. You have already started your build (false wall) before the contest has had a start date. That is grounds to be disqualified unfortunately. Now, I'm ok with it if everyone else is but it is unfair. We should all start together and that includes building, measuring (in hand dimentions) and modification of any sort. Wow I feal like a ass but I'd like a winning chance as well

Lets take it to the other thread so we don't junk this one up.

I hate to be the one to point this out since I just think this should be fun but... Not only have I not recieved my tank but no confirmation on the shipping yet either. You have already started your build (false wall) before the contest has had a start date. That is grounds to be disqualified unfortunately. Now, I'm ok with it if everyone else is but it is unfair. We should all start together and that includes building, measuring (in hand dimentions) and modification of any sort. Wow I feal like a ass but I'd like a winning chance as well

Everyone else has had equal opportunity here to build a rock wall. I built the entire thing before the tank arrived, using dimensions from Erick. I picked up my tank hours ago, as mentioned in my thread. Let's leave the DQ's to the judge, considering you have no say in that matter.

wall looks great! i think the rules mention that you cant have any livestock or salt water in before the start date ;)

says nothing about building a foam wall

Thanks Scoot. Well no matter how people feel about it, it won't be attached to the tank until the start date, so it will be all clear for the random item picture.

I completely agree but I thought the point was to start anything and everything all at once as a group (hence a starting date)

The rules are nothing go's into the M.A.D tank until the start date. People could have bought a rubber maid tub to cure rock start live stock. If your coral grows in that time you write off the grown price. Over half if not more of the people have started with live stock.

Once all tanks are received we get a few day to water testing and another few days for mod to the tank.

Stop sweating the small stuff. Leave 1337 alone he isn't doing anything wrong.

Hey sorry to dirty your Thead like that. Was not my intention. Looks great !! I wish you luck!! I wrote back on the contest thread so I don't mess with your about anything but luck and comments about your tank and build specifically

Considering throwing in a polyp or two of these in from my 18gal later on if I have any room left in the budget:

hermit001.jpg

Eh? :huh:

Oooh, those are nice!

What kind of lighting are they under in the 18g?

Archived