Top Shelf Aquatics

How to tell if your clownfish have paired up

bonese

my tank is by innovative marine and my dad hasnt been working a lot so yeah my mom said she will get me the 16 gal innovative marine tank but that means i have to get 2 packs of filters which are 30 each and i have to get another royal blue reefbrite light thats over 200$ plus sand and more live rock. The anemone isnt big its still a baby and the clowns are in the tank by themselves so that gives them some room and also how do i post pics

The reefbrite is like 170

• 2 weeks later...

I got my percula clowns relatively young. The onyx had a nice dark patch in the center and my other picasso was still orange. In a period of three months they have gotten darker, the onyx is almost completely dark and the picasso has started to darken up in his center. My onyx has always been the larger one and seemed dominant so I thought it was the female, but I dont know. I noticed both of my clowns sort of fighting yesterday so I netted them and put them in time out lol. They were staring at each other and fight mouth to mouth. This stopped after I netted them together for a good 30 minutes. The fighting stopped afterwards and the larger onyx took dominance and chased the smaller picasso and would nudge him around a little, nothing that looks serious. Well today I see them and I saw the larger onyx shaking like he has a seizure. Dont male clowns do that only? What do I have two females or two males that fight? Or are they undecisive and will pair soon? What was the deal with that fighting? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anything I can film them and provide video of what they do.

What do I have two females or two males that fight? Or are they undecisive and will pair soon? What was the deal with that fighting? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anything I can film them and provide video of what they do.

If you had 2 females they wouldn't be together for long.

As the for the larger one shaking I am confused about that also. I just added a smaller black ocellaris to my larger regular ocellaris and the larger one is being submissive also, they had only been together for 20 minutes when I was acclimating the new one and the origninal instantly start being submissive. I am just going to asssume that once they mature fully it will be easier to tell who is who gender wise.

Well i managed to take a video of how my clowns are acting. hopefully someone can figure out what's going on. the larger hasn't killed the smaller one but the smaller one's face appears a little white from fighting with the big one. If you see the video, at 0:14 the big clown shakes (isn't this the submissive male shake?). Someone help me figure this out!

To answer your original question - "mated" means they are mating or spawning. So unless your pair is laying some eggs they are a pairing.

With new clowns 99.9999% of the time if they are not killing each other they are pairing.

Sounds like your pair is pairing up.

Cool. That means my pair is pairing up, too. I don't know the first thing about raising baby fish. Looks like I have some research to do in preparation for possible future clown babies. Hope they take after their dad. He's a real cutie, swims right up to the top of the water and sticks his mouth out for food. He's also a really brilliant shade of orange...almost red.

• 8 years later...
harleybaby585

I have a snowflake and regular nemos. They seemed to have paired but haven't hosted in either anemone I have in the tank. Do I just keep trying to find a host by adding more 

13 hours ago, harleybaby585 said:

I have a snowflake and regular nemos. They seemed to have paired but haven't hosted in either anemone I have in the tank. Do I just keep trying to find a host by adding more 

There is a possibility they may never host or host something weird like your overflow. There is no guarantee. My clown pair loved the return nozzle of my tank. They hosted that for a year before I force hosted them to an bta. Force hosting is not without its risks. 

• Like 1