inTank Media Baskets

Jamie's Tropical Tank

Jamie

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where did you get your tank from? I could only seem to find it in Austrailia...

Thanks! :P

They have them at a fish store in Portland, it says it's made by Amano, and has Japanese on it so, I'm pretty sure it's originally from Japan. I can't give you any more info than that, though.

Hey Jamie this is kinda a weird question, but why do you have a generator? I mean you live in a pretty big city, just not that common hahaha

Well, we're not really in the city, more in the the suburbs, but basically, we used to always get ice storms that would take down the power lines every year. It was just annoying, so we got a generator, and we have never had an ice-storm since. Lots of snow, but no ice. It came in handy this time though!

tank looks awesome, great shots of everything, it takes alot of dedication to your tank when its 5.5G, you have to watch it alot more. i could never do it, minimum tank size is at least 20G for me. nothing bigger than 50 though. i cant wait to see this tank mature, it looks so good already. i will watch this one for sure.

Haha, it's not a huge commitment, just water changes every week, but thanks!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that a xenia in the second pic? It's translucent!

looks like it jacob!

It's a baby sarcophyton, long polyps!

NICE shots!

Thanks!

OMG I was going to say looks like baby leather, but then I thought everyone would say its xenia idiot lol.

Jamie, you have other set-ups correct? You should post some pics of the other ones :)

Well, kinda. I have four twenty gallons in my basement, but they're not displays - just holding live rock until I find the time to sell it. One of them has a mantis shrimp in it that came on the rock, but I've only seen him once. Another is an aiptasia factory, it's gross. So yeah, you don't what to see pictures. If I ever see the mantis again I'll take a picture, though.

Well, we'll see. My mom offered to, but I don't know if she' actually be able to. If I premix the saltwater for while I'm away (I should be home every two or three months) I'm sure she could handle water changes, but I don't think she'd recognize coral aggression, and I'd hate for my monti cap to kill the blue tort (it's already trying, I had to frag it back a bit), or anything like that. So, I'm not sure if I'll leave it with them, or break it down. I don't think I'll be taking it to college though, that's a lot of work.

Ya I would want one in college but A) It is a lot of work like you said and B ) I plan on studying marine biology anyway lol.

Hey don't throw any of those monti frags away, the green monti is awesome looking. I would be in the same boat, I think I am going to sell all of mine :(

Your tank is a great inspiration for what I want to do.

What size is your Sunpod and how high is it off the tank?

Is there a lot of evaporation?

Thanks!

But mine wouldn't look as good :P.

meh, do it anyway. :lol:

Your tank is a great inspiration for what I want to do.

What size is your Sunpod and how high is it off the tank?

Is there a lot of evaporation?

Thanks!

Thanks. The sunpod is 150w 20 inch, and is 12 inches above the surface of the water. At first, because it was summer and I was having temp issues, the tank was topless, and evap was pretty significant. I had to top off every day, it was maybe 2/3 gallon per week. Now I have a very tight fitting glass lid, and evap is almost nothing; maybe a cup per week. I'll have to hook up a chiller or something when it get's hot again though, which could be challenging.

2 MONTH UPDATE!!!

Yes, the tank has turned two (months). Things are getting crowded, and I've had to do some fragging, but everything is going very well.

FTS

DSC_0003.jpg

The sand bed is getting crowded with frags, and I'm going to have to bring some stuff to my lfs so I can make room, becuase more stuff is coming in the mail tomorrow! omgomgomg

close-up of sandbed left (the brown digitata has sting damage from the green monti cap)

DSC_0053-1.jpg

and right.

DSC_0005.jpg

With all these frags right up against the glass, I had the opportunity to take some polyps shots of the montiporas

red

DSC_0014-3.jpg

green

DSC_0010-2.jpg

the zoanthids have been growing well, though I'm a little concerned about the green ones overrunning my orange acan (see fts)

DSC_0029-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

the baby sarcophyton has gotten much bigger

DSC_0035.jpg

and though the rics have not made any babies, they seem happy.

DSC_0032-1.jpg

The the tank is invertless because of the bubble coral, but I guess that's okay, shrimp would probably harass the corals. This guy has been putting out some pretty long sweeper tentacles lately, but I'm not too worried about it.

DSC_0022-1.jpg

Hydnophora has been moved around a bit because it was shading out my acan, but now it's in a good place.

DSC_0046.jpg

I had to do some serious fragging on the montipora

DSC_0043-2.jpg

because it thought it would be funny to sting this guy!

DSC_0038.jpg

With more space between them, they are both happily growing again.

and that's about it, here's a couple more parting fts's!

zoomed in

DSC_0052-1.jpg

zoomed out

DSC_0057.jpg

Well, some good news and some bad new unfortunately.

the good: lani sent me tons of awesome frags (thanks!) which look great and are opening right now.

the bad: my damsel died. :( I have no idea why either. I noticed yesterday afternoon that he wasn't his usual self. Usually he's out and about, but he was sticking mainly to the back corner of the tank where he sleeps. That evening, I found him resting against the sand, upright, but looking very tired. My first thought was that he was starving to death (even though he wasn't looking skinny) because I never feed him, so I put some mysis in the tank, and even held him in my hand near the surface and dropped the mysis in his face, but he wouldn't react to it - normally he would be pigging out. I let him go, and he sort sank to the bottom, and then under one of the rocks. I could see him lying on his side breathing heavily. Today he's dead. I don't think it was lack of food, because he didn't look skinny, and he's been fine in the tank for a month and a half without food, so I don't know why now would be any different. I can't think of another logical explanation though. Water quality is fine (I haven't tested - test kits have expired - but all my corals, even the oregon tort, are completely open and happy, so I assume there is nothing wrong), maybe oxygen levels dropped? Seems pretty unlikely. I suppose he could have been stung by the bubble coral, but I didn't see any sting marks, and I think venom would have acted quicker. I don't know, anyone have ideas?

the ugly: some sort of infection seems to be working it's way through one of my red monti cap colonies. It looks like a parasitic sponge (do they exist?) or a fungal/bacterial infection. It's weird, because it's eating everything, skeleton and all, just leaving a big hole, filled with white flecks and spongy material, where coral once was. I did some preemptive fragging, and hopefully that took care of it - we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

It hasn't been a month yet, but I decided to update anyway since I had the time.

The scape has changed a bit, I removed the big kenya tree (kept a couple frags), and, of course, there is lots of new stuff from lani (thanks!).

today is water change day, so some of the corals are a little less open then usual.

fts'

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0210-1.jpg

new zoas

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0199-1.jpg

these were for some reason hit really hard by shipping, still recovering

DSC_0178-1.jpg

new ric (there are two, the other is not pictured)

DSC_0180-1.jpg

froggy!

DSC_0184.jpg

stomatella

DSC_0197-1.jpg

sarco

DSC_0204-2.jpg

Archived