Coral Vue Hydros

Top of clownfish getting darker

YashaGoby

I just noticed that the dorsal area of my clownfish is starting to darken. I would say it looks like it is affecting about the top half of the fish. I am pretty sure it was completely orange when I bought it. I have a Biocube 14 with stock lighting. I will try to provide a pic if nobody has an answer to this.

i bought two clowns like a month ago both were completely orange. One stayed orange and the other started turning a black color towards the top. I experienced the same thing, he/she eats like a champ still.

Both of my Ocellaris developed black highlights on thier tops and other places. I seperated them and one turned back to all orange and the other kept its black highlights. I think it has something to do with the environment and seeing the color black during development.

• Wow 1

That happened to me when I first got my pair of false percs. I did some reading on the internet that occasionally when they're juvenile, they can get "stung" by certain corals. My percs did like to rub up against my frogspawn, so I chalked it up to that. Their color eventually came back to normal even though they still hang out in my frogspawn.

So not really sure what the real cause is, but rest assured, mine recovered fully. Actually never seemed bothered by it as they always eat like champs.

hmmm, id guess its like lots of fish, they change colour as they grow?I've heard that they can get stung by some some corals when developing. I wouldnt worry if they are eating and swimming normally.

I think the stings develop more of ugly black splotches. I have gotten those on my male because he was hosting some zoanthids. I think we are coverign two differnt kinds of black stuff here. Theres the general coloration from environment and then the black spots from stings or toxins.

I think the stings develop more of ugly black splotches. I have gotten those on my male because he was hosting some zoanthids. I think we are coverign two differnt kinds of black stuff here. Theres the general coloration from environment and then the black spots from stings or toxins.

+1 two different types of black markings

I got my ocellaris about a month ago with the typical coloration. Now a month later, it has gotten a lot more orange from the cyclopeeze but is also a lot darker up on the top.

P1000602.jpg

I also think my clownfish has Cryptocaryon irritans. I noticed a sand-particle sized cyst near the left gill. Not sure how to treat it since I don't have a QT. Garlic? Will it go away on its own? You can see the cyst in the above pic.

• 8 years later...

I was told by my LFS (whom I trust as a source) there's a variant in Ocellaris called a "mocha". I actually had one for a while but my female kept beating him up during feedings and I finally traded him for some store credit. I got both at the same time but as they developed the female got much bigger but stayed the same color and the male darkened from his dorsal down, much like it sounds like yours is doing.

• Like 1

The little spot might go away with good husbandry. Just watch it carefully. My clowns in the past would a get a spot on the rarest of occasions and just “slime” it off eventually.  It could simply be a reaction to a tiny abrasion. The white dots we see on parasite infected fish are in fact not the parasites themselves but sores they cause that manifest as white spots.  If it spreads, I’d then be concerned.

Skeeterific

Someone already mentioned mocha clowns, I'm seconding that. Possibly his parents either are or have genes from black ocellaris, which are showing up as the fish matures. 

On 9/2/2009 at 4:10 PM, jaesun said:

I got my ocellaris about a month ago with the typical coloration. Now a month later, it has gotten a lot more orange from the cyclopeeze but is also a lot darker up on the top.

P1000602.jpg

I also think my clownfish has Cryptocaryon irritans. I noticed a sand-particle sized cyst near the left gill. Not sure how to treat it since I don't have a QT. Garlic? Will it go away on its own? You can see the cyst in the above pic.

This is 100% a mocha clown. He's beautiful! As far as the cyst, this might just be lymphocystis, which will go away on its own with good food and low stress. My black ocellaris also had a couple of cysts that looked like this on her tail and dorsal fin. They went away after a few days.