Innovative Marine Aquariums

What kind of snail is this?

Gene0514

This little guy hitchhiked on my rock

I think its a nassarius snail because of its tube

sorry that the pics are a little blurry, thats cuz he's so small and moves pretty fast. He just starts burying right away.

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

CallMeDrLove

Beware, I bought 10 nassarius snails for my 75g, and within a few months I had about a thousand. Plague proportions...I'll never get another one. They are so small they clog up powerhead intakes and everything. Very annoying.

nor_cal_nano
Beware, I bought 10 nassarius snails for my 75g, and within a few months I had about a thousand. Plague proportions...I'll never get another one. They are so small they clog up powerhead intakes and everything. Very annoying.

lol

CallMeDrLove

Though the powerheads I was using were Super Seio 1150's and I suppose the intake slits were just the right size to trap little unsuspecting nassarius and kill them. PITA though. I use koralia's now and though I can't get rid of the nassarius (too many and they hide) they aren't as big of a problem.

Definitely not a nassarius, (hundreds of species of snails have that probe, just not most in the hobby) can you get a close pic? I have a few ideas but would like to see an opperculum first. The narrow structure of the shell is a a dead give away it isn't one of nassarius sp. though. I bet the opperculum is elongated too, not circular.

He can handle some time out of the water, (I am pretty sure I know this one, but would like to double check with an opperculum pic), so dont be afraid to snatch one up and take a pic while placing them say on a piece of lined paper to show scale. (I am very demanding today huh? :) )

Nassarius sp. are very difficult to breed, very long planktonic stages. (Did I spell planktonic right? Where is Fosi when you need him - :) )

The probe is usually a good sign the snail likes meaty foods, which is why you don't seem to many probed snails in the hobby outside of Nassarius sp. For as slow as they are, it is surprising how many snails are predatory. (No worries though, at that size the snail will likely be stuck scavenging, couldn't see it doing much damage.)

thanks for the info

sorry i can't get another pic cuz the snail disappeared soon after those previous pics

Edit: just found him and he disappeared as i was trying to get him

:) That is how it goes doesn't it? I think it is a type of dove shell, (yep they named the snail after the washed up shell it leaves). Smooth dove shells have highly variable markings and checkering, but yours doesn't seem too. Probably a different species within the genus, but from that picture I feel pretty strong about a dove shell. Should behave itself as a harmless scavenger.

deffinately not a nass

drlove, you might have cerith snails as i know those breed like crazy

ive never seen nass breed in aquariums but who knows

CallMeDrLove

Nope they are definitely not cerith. Perhaps I have some kind of super skill as far as breeding goes, but I'm 100% sure they're not cerith. Way too small. The largest ones get to be about maybe 3/4" long, most are between 1/4" and 1/2".

I don't think mine are whelks either. They are too small, and are not a problem for corals. Or other snails for that matter. Now I gotta figure out what these little buggers are.

CallMeDrLove

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just checked the order when I got my snails, and they are definitely nassarius. Weird, wonder why mine are breeding so rapidly.

CallMeDrLove

They're in my 75g back home (I'm away at school) but I'll see if I can round up some old pics. Don't really think I ever took any closeups of the snails though. I am using sugar sized aragonite as my substrate. They go down in it during the day and rise up whenever food lands on the sand. Pretty weird watching it. Like a bunch of zombie snails.

CallMeDrLove

Odds are I ordered nassarius and liveaquaria sent me the wrong thing. Or I got nassarius AND some other snail as a hitchhiker and the other snail is the one breeding.

CallMeDrLove

I do have a couple of ceriths but the ones I'm talking about are definitely not cerith. Cerith get much bigger than whatever I have. The majority of mine are about 1/4" long. I'm working on getting my brother to send me some closeups of the snails this evening...sucks being 4 hours away from my tank.

Archived