Top Shelf Aquatics

JBJ 28G Nano Cube 5.6 Led

Mike_Hancho

Hey Mike, just wondering how the tank is doing? Has all the nuisance algae gone away or are you still manually pulling it out?

So far so good... Haven't had to pull anything out manually.. Nothing grown back.. Fingers are crossed...

Added some new frags ( 6 head Duncan, 6 Polyp Eagle Eye Zoas, Japanesse Blue Cloves, Blue Rain Drop Ric, Green/Purple Fuzzy Shroom)

Water parameters seem to be in nice balance.. lots of Coraline Growth...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Requesting pictures of the tank w/ new additions =)

As requested.. Here's a few pics of some of the additions..

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Thanks!

There's a couple SPS peices I want..

I think I may go LED.. What do you guys think?

Looking great!

After seeing your tank it is pushing me over the edge to get a jbj nano hqi 28.

Pulled the trigger on the LED retro 5.6... Can't wait to get it going...Nick at Nanotuners was very helpful..

Nano 5.6 Retro I just purchased

That looks pretty sweet.

Had I known they were working on that I might not have gotten the HQI + actinic retro kit.

I can't wait to see reviews on the LED system.

That looks pretty sweet.

Had I known they were working on that I might not have gotten the HQI + actinic retro kit.

I can't wait to see reviews on the LED system.

Yeah It should be sweet... The heatsink it comes is also setup to expand later.. You can go with as many as 9 strips for a total of 162 watts. Little pricey but at least I won't have to buy bulbs for awhile..

Two Months later....

Ok so I did a Water change on Saturday night.. I used some DI water from my LFS...It had a TDS of 17ppm.. I figured it should be ok.. Up until know I have been using Sparklets Di which has 0ppm TDS.. This has been a little expensive almost a dollar a gallon... This is why I figured I'd go with the LFS water...Wow what a difference... I think the LFS DI water had some phosphates in it.. I have some Cyno on my sand bed and my corals don't seem as happy...

So what did I do today? You guessed it... Spectrpure RO/DI Maxcap System Hopefully I will get it before my next water change...

Looking great so far! I just ordered one as a second tank! Could you tell me the dimensions of the auxiliary (#2) chamber?

Not that Big.. I would say about 3"x3" on each side of chamber 1..

Added a six line wrasse today..This fish is so cool..I love the way he goes in and out of the rock scape..I thought it was way too tight for a fish to get through..but he' s able able to get through it pretty good.. Probably should have waited until my Cyno outbreak was gone.. Oh well.. I thing it was from the crappy lfs water... It looks like it's already starting to get better..Thanks to my Cheato..Can't wait for my new additions to arrive..

Probably should have waited until my Cyno outbreak was gone.. Oh well.. I thing it was from the crappy lfs water... It looks like it's already starting to get better..

I worked at an LFS/Pet Store in college that shall remain nameless. Lets just say their saltwater was made from water straight out of the tap!

I worked at an LFS/Pet Store in college that shall remain nameless. Lets just say their saltwater was made from water straight out of the tap!

Yeah I didn't use the salt water.. I used there DI water and mixed my own salt.. But never the less the DI water was very poor quality.. They probably never change there filters..

Before I left the hobby 6 years ago, I used to buy my water from the LFS for my saltwater needs. Out of curiosity I tested the nitrates of the water and found it to be more than 20ppm! The tapwater for our area contained around that amount too! So I stopped buying it and bought an RO unit.

I just dont trust many LFS with water unless you know them personally.

Before I left the hobby 6 years ago, I used to buy my water from the LFS for my saltwater needs. Out of curiosity I tested the nitrates of the water and found it to be more than 20ppm! The tapwater for our area contained around that amount too! So I stopped buying it and bought an RO unit.

I just dont trust many LFS with water unless you know them personally.

Yep lesson learned.. Ro Unit on it's way :D

If you havent got one already, I reccomend you buy one of those cheap digital TDS meters. I bought the HM Digital brand for about £17 works a treat. Dont get the inline ones as they are crap.

If you havent got one already, I reccomend you buy one of those cheap digital TDS meters. I bought the HM Digital brand for about £17 works a treat. Dont get the inline ones as they are crap.

Yeah I have a descent one.. My new Ro Unit has two built in.. I will be doing a water change as soon as I get my new unit...

The Fedex guy delivered mine from DFS this afternoon. I would be ready to go but my MJ 900's shipped from a different location and won't be here until next week :(

The Fedex guy delivered mine from DFS this afternoon. I would be ready to go but my MJ 900's shipped from a different location and won't be here until next week :(

Nice!!! I'm really having fun with mine so far.. You should start a Tank log on it when you get it set up..

Been working on a few small "mods for my tank. I replaced the stock pumps with a MJ 900 and 1200. Now I am working on getting an MJ400/Phosban reactor on the right chamber. Here is what I came up with so far:

P1040076.jpg

P1040077.jpg

The only thing I am worried about is the pump blocking some of the flow into the 5th chamber, which is part of the reason I put an MJ900 instead of a 1200.

Tank is doing well!! Got my new RO/DI System up and running!! No more crappy LFS water.. Yeah!!!! Still waiting on my LED retro kit,, I spoke with Nick yesterday @ nanotuners.. They are hoping to have it shipped out sometime next week.. Can't wait to go LED..

Wow, I cant wait to see you LED photos! Will they send a new canopy with the LED lights installed, or is it just the LED's/heat sink etc and you got to install it?

I am going to try and fit 6 Cree 3watt Royal Blue Actinics into my canopy. But it will be a project for late December as I am doing other stuff now. Cant wait to get those cree royal blues.

Archived