Innovative Marine Aquariums

JBJ 28G Nano Cube 5.6 Led

Mike_Hancho

Thanks!! Yeah I got a great deal on mine as well... Yeah I'll be using some Chemi pure real soon. I have a big thing of carbon that I'll be going through first... Filtration is little tricky when your using the middle chamber for a skimmer.. I'm in the process of coming up with a better filtration scheme.. Utilizing the 2nd and third chambers..

How are you using the 2nd and 3rd chambers for filtration atm?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are you using the 2nd and 3rd chambers for filtration atm?

Right know I am using filter floss in chamber two and I have purigen on one side and carbon on the other side in chambers 3.. I plan on making some custom media baskets and have some cheato in chambers 2 and then have floss and some chemi pure and purigen in chambers 3..

Day 15

Didn't get a chance to check water parameters.. Temp is staying between 79-81... Looks look stable.. I spotted a bristle worm.. I'm not sure if this good or bad.. So many different takes on this.. Don't know what to believe...

Day 16

Ok... So it looks like the tanks on the right track.. Water parameters are 0 Amonia , 0 Nitrates , 5 Nitrates

Water looks nice and clear and The Tunze is skimmin like the machine it is.. Pullin some nasty Brown/Green Gunk out of the water... I i'll countinue to monitor conditions.. Wait till the end of the week do another water change then add a peice...

Very nicely setup. I have sand and water in my tank so far. No liverock yet. How is the Tunze performing on this tank? A fresh photo of the skimmer showing skimate would be appreciated. I am thinking of gettin the same skimmer for my 28G JBJ.

Very nicely setup. I have sand and water in my tank so far. No liverock yet. How is the Tunze performing on this tank? A fresh photo of the skimmer showing skimate would be appreciated. I am thinking of gettin the same skimmer for my 28G JBJ.

Tunze is the best skimmer I've ever used.. I've only had it on for a week and it's pull'n out some nasty green/ brown crap out of the water.. Took aliitle tweakin to get it just right (ie. water level, air adjustment).. But after that it's been awesome...

DSC_0042.jpg

Day 17

Everything is the same.. Probably add a coral after a water change next week..

FTS

DSC_0044.jpg

really diggin your rock scape... did you notice though in the pic you posted above that the slight purple left-center branch looking type rock seems to have a happy face on the upper left stub? haha

-tj

You're rockwork looks really really nice. Where did you get your rock from?

Thanks!!! I got it from a few different sources.. My base rock is just regular figi rock i picked up from my LFS and the rock that is most noticable in the picture is Marshall Island rock (Which is considered the cadiilac of live rock).. Which I picked up from the same place I purchased my tank from http://www.seasidetropicalfish.com/ .. I also got a few peices of tonga branch which I got from Octopus garden in kearny mesa... I'm sure you can find some Marshall Island online somewhere..The pictures don't do it any justice.. I've got all kinds of different color of coralline algae starting to growing (pink, green,purple,blue, red and burgandy) I'm sure the purple will probably dominate.. But I have heard that the red is real common on MI rock.. We'll see...

really diggin your rock scape... did you notice though in the pic you posted above that the slight purple left-center branch looking type rock seems to have a happy face on the upper left stub? haha

-tj

LOL.... I never noticed that before....

Day 18-20

Ok so I will be doing a H2O change tommorow and have a CPR refugium on it's way... I'm also about to pull the trigger on a vortech pump.. Should I get the mp10 or pony up for the mp20 HHMMMM!!! We'll see... This reefing thing is starting to get expensive.. I don't even have a fish or coral yet..LOL...

Day 21

2nd water change today ( 10% ).. Parameters before change as follows... Amonia 0 , Nitirites 0 , Nitrates 2.5 , PH 8.4 , Alk 2.0 , Cal 400...Water Temp 79 , Salinity 1.025

Getting a vortech mp20... Can't wait for my new pump!!! Tank is really starting to come together... I think with the addition of the new pump for water flow and the refugium for stability.. It should be good to go.. Still tossing around the ides of a chiller.. We'll see...

Day 22

Water parameters are lookin good.. nh3/nh4= 0 , no2=0 , no3=0 , ph=8.4 , Cal=400 , salinity=1.025

I think I'll get a few more cuc tomorrow, Then add some softies maybe some Xenia or some shrooms.. If anyone has some Pulsing Xenia or shrooms they'd like to frag in the SD area that would be sweet.. lmk

awesome first coral woot!!!

Day 24

I picked up a couple of zoas yesterday at my LFS.. The guy also threw in a sun coral frag that was not doing to well at no cost (he said it wouldn't open up at all) Hopefully I can ween it back to health.. I paid $20 bucks for the zoa frags (probably too much, but you gotta support the LFS).. One is green and the other is orange.. I should be able to get pics up later tonight.. My vortech pump is also on the deliver truck as I type... I should have my refugium by the end of the week..

Day 25

Got my new Mp20 vortech and Refugium.. The refugium was a little bigger than I anticipated.. But I got it to work with some hoses I had from an old fluval pump in my garage.. I just got done setting it all up.. Forgot my camera at work.. Pics tomorrow..

Hey I am very jealous of your MP20! :o

Can you make a video clip of the MP20 in action? I would have thought an MP20 was an overkill on a tank this small...and I'd be worried about the wave motion cracking the tank or soemthing! :huh:

But, anyway, do post some photos. Following this thread. :)

Hey I am very jealous of your MP20! :o

Can you make a video clip of the MP20 in action? I would have thought an MP20 was an overkill on a tank this small...and I'd be worried about the wave motion cracking the tank or soemthing! :huh:

But, anyway, do post some photos. Following this thread. :)

Day 26

Sorry I won't be able to make a video clip of the wave action.. it would stir up to much sand.. I turned it just past 1/4 and it was making a sand storm.. It might be aliitle overkill but I figured I'd go BIG.. Just in case I use it on a larger tank down the road.. It works really well ... Not too worried about cracking the tank or anything.. Plenty of people run these pumps on the same tank I have.. Here's a few pics of my new pump and refugium (hopefully the newley added cheato will take care of some of the algae i got building up) ... I'd take a FTS but I just did a water change.. Still alittle cloudy..

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

Day 27

Didn't get home in time to take a FTS.. The lights were out.. I did take a pic of my Sun Coral... It's starting to come out at night under the moonlights.. Sorry about the lighting I had to take it with my flash on..

DSC_0057.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update 6 Weeks...

Battling Bryopsis Algae... I'am afraid of manually pulling this stuff and spreading it everywhere..This stuff sucks!!! I started dosing Magnesium.. We'll see if this works..

Added some Corals... Xenia frag.. GSP Frag.. Couple Heads of Candy Coral...All my other Corals are doing well... I even have my Sun Coral weened back ..So far so good...

Got a few more CUC.. 3 Peppermint Shrimp..2 Scarlet Herms...

Added Some mud to the Refugium.. Cheato is growing.. But I think it's getting choked out by this Bryopsis...

I'd take a FTS.. But all you would see is my forest of Bryopsis...

Oh no! Do let us know how it goes. Keep up the updates too. Even with the bryopsis...as it may help someone else. Post us a FTS shot too, even with the nuisance algaes present. Would like to see how this turns out.

What magnesium are you dosing?

Oh no! Do let us know how it goes. Keep up the updates too. Even with the bryopsis...as it may help someone else. Post us a FTS shot too, even with the nuisance algaes present. Would like to see how this turns out.

What magnesium are you dosing?

I have been dosing with Seachem.. I don't have a test kit... I have been raising 75mg a day for the last 4 days.. I am using Tropic Marin Reef Crystals for salt.. After 4 days I noticed the bryopsis weakening.. Turning a clear color.. So I decidied to maually pull most of it out..I will countinue to dose and keep an eye on it for regrowth.

Before

DSC_0058.jpg

After

DSC_0065.jpg

FTS

DSC_0063.jpg

Wow, that is awesome. It has worked! Many thanks for posting that. Do you have any idea as to what your magnesium level got upto? - Assume your mag was same as what the salt manufacturer says on salt bucket..get the idea?

Let us know whether it comes back after you stop dosing magnesum.

Archived