Aqua Fresh Chalice

Blueberry Field Chalice

Pink and Teal Cotton Candy Chalice

LE Superman Chalice

Poor Mans My Miami Chalice

Xenia

Ultra Sunset Monti

Purple/Green 2 Head Torch

Zoas (Eagle eyes, Fire & Ice & 2 other no name ones)

Pink/Green Birdsnest

GSP

Yellow Saphire Gorgonia

Candy Coral 4 Head

Green/Blue 7 Head Ducan

Purple/Brown T. Maxima Clam

CUC-

5 - Blue Leg Herms

2 - Red Scarlet Herms

1 - Counch Snail

2 - Turbo Snails

2- Astrea Snails

3 - Nassarius Snails

Fish

6 Line Wrasse

Banded Blue Spot Watchman Goby

True Perc Clown

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got the same tank as you. Similar setup. I got mine at fishsupply for like 250 with stand. Planning on adding a sump but don't know how to do it. Any ideas????

got the same tank as you. Similar setup. I got mine at fishsupply for like 250 with stand. Planning on adding a sump but don't know how to do it. Any ideas????

Day 1

Not sure about the sump. I'm sure someone has done it on here. Enjoying the setup so far. Played with aquascape aliitle bit about an hour ago. Thinking about adding a flow pump under the rocks in the back.

FTS

IMG00071.jpg

Day 3

Here we are 72 hrs since conception. I'm waitng on my master test kit to start water testing. I'm in no rush.. I ordered a bunch more goodies today to get things setup after the cycle is done. I plan on going with some filter floss and purigen and of course my Tunze 9002 which is on the way for filtration. Also purchased a thermometer, glass magnets, and a new 100w heater to keep temps consistant over night.It's been about 7 years since my last reef tank. Back when I was into reefing they didn't have these swewt all in one setups. It makes things so much easier.So far haven't seen any hitchhikers. I did see a dead worm. I couldn't tell what kind (Just hope it's not a bristle worm.) That would be Bad!!! Kind of looked like a flat worm.

FTS

IMG00072.jpg

Day 4

Ok so i got my test kit and decided to take some measurements.. Amonia .25 , Nitrite .1 , Nitrate 20

Tank is cruisin right along.. I saw my first hitchhiker today. A starfish!! I'll take that over some pesky crab anyday!!!

I'll probably wait until the end of the week and pick up a few clean-up crew.. Water is getting pretty clear.. It was pretty hot in my condo today I forgot to turn on my a/c when I left for work today.. Water temp was real high when I got home 88 F. Good thing I don't have any corals yet. they'd be toast.. I'm thinking of getting a chiller just to be on the safe side.. I wonder if the 1/15 hp JBJ would be adequate.

NewBitmapImage.jpg

FTS

IMG00071-1.jpg

some bigger pics would be nice :)

glad to see you got your cycle started. ill be followin along. btw, what happened to day 5?

Sorry got home kind of late on Day 5

Day 6

Tested water again and I've got the same results today as I did on Day 4. I also turned off the pump I put in behind the rocks. Just getting the tank too hot.. We've been having a heat wave here in So Cal. I plan on replacing it with a smaller unit that doesn't put out as much heat. I also plan on getting a chiller.

Amonia .25 , Nitrite .1 , Nitrate 20

Larger FTS

IMG00074.jpg

Really digging the rock structure and diversity..

Sorry got home kind of late on Day 5

Day 6

Tested water again and I've got the same results today as I did on Day 4. I also turned off the pump I put in behind the rocks. Just getting the tank too hot.. We've been having a heat wave here in So Cal. I plan on replacing it with a smaller unit that doesn't put out as much heat. I also plan on getting a chiller.

Amonia .25 , Nitrite .1 , Nitrate 20

Larger FTS

IMG00074.jpg

good start!! what are livestock plans? i think a jawfish would look sweet in this tank

Day 7

Thanks!! I will definitely have a jawfish or some sort of blenny cruisin the subtrate.. I plan on doing some Pulsing Xenia, Frogspawn, Shrooms, Zoas, Sun Coral for color,Candy coral, Clown Fish (gotta have nemo for the kids), Pepperment CS...and of course the Clean up crew...Should look good..

Just Got done checking parameters..Measurements haven't move.. Amonia .25 , Nitite .1 , Nitrate 20

Salinity 1.024

Temp 86 F ( Still high I wonder if this Thermometer is accurate. I will be buying a standard Mercury one. I'm not sure about these digital ones.)

Moved the scape again.. Starting to like it..I think i will tweak the back section aliitle more. I spread it out for better flow and space for the fish.

FTS..

IMG00074-3.jpg

i think your tank is going to turn out great!!

Thanks!!! It's been awhile since I've done a reef setup.. I remember from my early years of reefin. Is to take your time and be patient. This is can be a challenge. But it in the long run will save you money and the greif of things going wrong. This should be Fun!!!

Day 8

Nothing really to report.. Other than temp is still high.. I ordered a Fan today.. Hopefully that will combat these high temps.. Still hovering around 85 F Measurements are still the stil the same.. hmmmm.. Still no brown algae boom.. I will continue to wait.. I'd post a new pic but.. It looks the same as the last one... no changes to the scape...

Day 9

Ok.. So it looks like the cycle is almost complete... Starting to see some Brown Algae on the sand..Checked parameters today.. Amonia 0 , Nitrite .5 , Nitrate 35...I'll wait till I've got 0 on both Nitrite and Amonia before doing a Water change..

Got my Tunze 9002 installed today.. I can already tell that this thing is going to be a beast.. Haven't got any skimate yet. But I have a feeling it won't be long.. I must say it's a very tight fit in that middle chamber...

Added the first members of the CUC.... 6 Algae Hermits, 6 Turbo Snails and 2 Conch Snails

Pics of Tunze 9002 w/ Stevie T Skimmer Cup...

IMG00074-2.jpg

IMG00073-1.jpg

Day 10

We've got Skimate... Wow This Tunze skimmer is sweet...Not even 24 hours and its pullin crap out of the water... Still waiting on a new thermometer and fan .. Nitrite fell off a little and Amonia is O ... Probably do a water change and add my carbon and purigen at the end of the week.. Maybe add some mushrroms or a cheap coral in week or so..

Brand new Skimmer Results not even 24hrs Tunze Rocks!!!...

IMG00074-4.jpg

Day 12

Still got traces of nitrites.. Going to hold off on water change till I have 0... CUC is still cruisin along no casualties yet.. Starting get alot of pod activaty on the glass.. Along with some Green algae.. I going to keep an eye on this algae.. The CUC seems to be doing a good job on the rocks.. Got my new thermometer and its shows tank temp is between 83-85.. Still too high I've got to come uo with a game plan to get it lower.. I'm starting with a fan.. We'll See....

Day 13

Nothing to report other than Temp is know under control via The fan I have aim at the back chamber..

temp is know between 79-81F w/ lights on and house temp near 80F..

Day 14

1st Water change!!!! Parameters before h2O change.... Amonia 0 , Nitirites 0 , Nitrates 20....

I'm not sure if the skimmer played a role in lowering the nitrates.. But the dropped a little since the last test a few days ago.. IDK.. I'm sure someone knows.. Ok so I changed out 2.5 Gallons (using DI w/ tropic Marin mixed over night), new floss, added some activated carbon and purigen to filtration process.. I will check the water parameters tommorow...

Looking great so far. I'd suggest maybe running some chemi-pure elite if you've got the room. Just a thought.

Great looking tank my gf just picked on up at pacific reef in orange and she got a rippin' deal. It worked out well for both of us because she got a new tank and I got her old one (BC14). I'll be keeping an eye on yours.

Looking great so far. I'd suggest maybe running some chemi-pure elite if you've got the room. Just a thought.

Great looking tank my gf just picked on up at pacific reef in orange and she got a rippin' deal. It worked out well for both of us because she got a new tank and I got her old one (BC14). I'll be keeping an eye on yours.

Thanks!! Yeah I got a great deal on mine as well... Yeah I'll be using some Chemi pure real soon. I have a big thing of carbon that I'll be going through first... Filtration is little tricky when your using the middle chamber for a skimmer.. I'm in the process of coming up with a better filtration scheme.. Utilizing the 2nd and third chambers..

Archived