Innovative Marine Aquariums

48" LED fixture - Lots of photos

Dave_uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, update. Meanwell drivers are not plug and play as suspected. They actually do have a few minor dimming capabilities but as a working system it will not work plug and play as expected. For those of you who don't know the Arduino puts out a 5V pwm signal to the meanwell driver. The meanwell driver needs a 10V pwm signal to operate properly. So, my guess is your going to need to wire in a mosfet chip to up the 5V pwm to a 10V pwm. I'll let you know when I get the parts. ;)

Heres a quick FTS update. Since switching to LEDs, most of the LPS have grown at least 50% and the frogspawn has at least doubled in size. The Organ Pipe coral (back left) has grown like a weed and my zoas are growing really well too. The few small SPS frags I have are all growing well too.

Sorry about the crap photo but Im no good with a camera.

led_fts_26feb10_2.jpg

omg. you're alive.

:D Have you just realised that I'm still around. Been here since 2002! Who are you by the way cos I dont recall you...did you change your username?

Looking good. Glad LEDs are working nicely for you. I'm in love with mine :D

i didn't post much back in the early days... just sat back and did my best to learn from you and the rest of the old crew.

This is the longest post I've seen from you. Can't believe it

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, update. Meanwell drivers are not plug and play as suspected. They actually do have a few minor dimming capabilities but as a working system it will not work plug and play as expected. For those of you who don't know the Arduino puts out a 5V pwm signal to the meanwell driver. The meanwell driver needs a 10V pwm signal to operate properly. So, my guess is your going to need to wire in a mosfet chip to up the 5V pwm to a 10V pwm. I'll let you know when I get the parts. ;)

im gonna follow you on this one as im wanting to use the controller with ELN-60-48. I have no knowledge of electronics so a little help in this area would be awesome:P. I want some awesome sun rise sun set for my diy aquarium!

Hello I saw you put the R13 in the assembly but is

changed anything?

To use the Meanwell what you need to set?

There is now a variable in the code which allows the value used for PWM to be inverted for use with meanwells etc.

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave, I have the exact same tank and lamps :) and I am looking into upgrading to leds before I need to replace my bulbs.

I like your controller, so I want to replicate it, can you please post the PDF document again? The link you post before its not longer working (at least not now)

thanks..

Never mind, is working :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

What a great build thread.

I ordered an Arduino starter kit to muck around with based on this thread. While I haven't built a light controller unit (yet), my 7yo son has taken a shine to the technology and we've built a robot with all kinds of sensors, he is hooked. I've all the components to copy your build ordered, so hopefully the skills and blisters we've acquired in the meantime will pay some dividends.

When the bits arrive we'll have a go at a (your) controller unit for some LEDs. My wife is totally chuffed with the father-son projects, I'm happy that she's happy, and me and the boy are stoked that we have the go ahead for a reef aquarium. Win win.

Thanks mate :)

btw: Can you believe that postage to Australia only costs 3 quid?! That is less than internal Aus postage. God save the Queen.

Edit: the Queen comment is in reference to the Royal Mail. Australia post are a bunch of grasping bastards who charge ridiculous prices.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

My first post, & it begins with a couple of appologies...

Firstly, I'm not a Salty Aquarium type, Tropical Planted is my thing. ;)

Secondly, this seems a way strange place to be asking the question, but as this thread put me onto the track of LED lighting & the Arduino, it's kinda appropriate. B)

OK, I'm building a setup for my 4' loosely based on the great build & advice here. I am going to use the Arduino & Krusdino code, just maybe tweak a few bits to suit. I've got the Arduino & all the parts listed in the pdf.

Here's the problem, I have the Arduino connected to my PC, I can load the test program, Blink. But, when I try to load the Krusdino program I get nothing but compile errors, sample below.. There is more before & after this sample.

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:144: error: prototype for 'const String& String::operator+=(int)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:44: error: candidate is: const String& String::operator+=(const String&)

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:158: error: prototype for 'const String& String::operator+=(long int)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:44: error: candidate is: const String& String::operator+=(const String&)

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp: In member function 'const String& String::operator+=(const String&)':

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:175: error: '_array' was not declared in this scope

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:178: error: 'setArray' was not declared in this scope

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:182: error: '_array' was not declared in this scope

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:182: error: 'const class String' has no member named '_array'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp: At global scope:

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:190: error: no 'const String& String::append(char)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:195: error: no 'const String& String::append(char*)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:200: error: no 'const String& String::append(const String&)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:205: error: no 'const String& String::append(int, int)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:216: error: no 'const String& String::append(long int, int)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:225: error: no 'const String& String::append(int)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:233: error: no 'const String& String::append(long int)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:320: error: prototype for 'char String::charAt(int)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:57: error: candidate is: char String::charAt(unsigned int) const

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:336: error: prototype for 'void String::setCharAt(int, char)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:71: error: candidate is: void String::setCharAt(unsigned int, char)

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:352: error: prototype for 'boolean String::equals(char*)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:60: error: candidate is: unsigned char String::equals(const String&) const

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:363: error: prototype for 'boolean String::equals(const String&)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:60: error: candidate is: unsigned char String::equals(const String&) const

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:369: error: no 'boolean String::contains(char*)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:377: error: prototype for 'byte* String::getBytes()' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:79: error: candidate is: void String::getBytes(unsigned char*, unsigned int)

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:383: error: no 'void String::setArray(const char*)' member function declared in class 'String'

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:390: error: prototype for 'int String::indexOf(int)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:65: error: candidates are: int String::indexOf(const String&, unsigned int) const

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:64: error: int String::indexOf(const String&) const

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:63: error: int String::indexOf(char, unsigned int) const

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:62: error: int String::indexOf(char) const

C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries\String\WString.cpp:396: error: prototype for 'int String::indexOf(const String&)' does not match any in class 'String'

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:65: error: candidates are: int String::indexOf(const String&, unsigned int) const

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:64: error: int String::indexOf(const String&) const

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/WString.h:63: error: int String::indexOf(char, unsigned int) const

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, Arduino software is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019

The sketch directory is here with the libraries C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries - this is the default location & correctly identified within the Arduino software environment preferances.

I've looked on the Arduino site, & to be honest, I may as well just throw the Arduino away. There's nothing in the pdf about loading the Krusdino onto the Arduino apart from where to put the libraries.

Can anyone offer any help, a thorough step by step loading guide?

TIA

Gary

Hi All,

My first post, & it begins with a couple of appologies...

Firstly, I'm not a Salty Aquarium type, Tropical Planted is my thing. ;)

Secondly, this seems a way strange place to be asking the question, but as this thread put me onto the track of LED lighting & the Arduino, it's kinda appropriate. B)

OK, I'm building a setup for my 4' loosely based on the great build & advice here. I am going to use the Arduino & Krusdino code, just maybe tweak a few bits to suit. I've got the Arduino & all the parts listed in the pdf.

Here's the problem, I have the Arduino connected to my PC, I can load the test program, Blink. But, when I try to load the Krusdino program I get nothing but compile errors, sample below.. There is more before & after this sample.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, Arduino software is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0019

The sketch directory is here with the libraries C:\Users\Dad\Documents\Arduino\libraries - this is the default location & correctly identified within the Arduino software environment preferances.

I've looked on the Arduino site, & to be honest, I may as well just throw the Arduino away. There's nothing in the pdf about loading the Krusdino onto the Arduino apart from where to put the libraries.

Can anyone offer any help, a thorough step by step loading guide?

TIA

Gary

Ok, sorted this out..

I was using the Arduino build 0019 - the latest build - & I couldn't get it to compile the Krusduino code. I looked at the change log & they've added a new "string function". As I was getting string related errors, I went back to build 0018. Krusduino compiled straight away, & loaded onto the Arduino :D

That'll do me..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This project is amazing, I'm also making a similiar project to this one, but mine is for feeding the fish. I'm also using an arduino and a 3310 LCD.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and your code, i will study it and i might get some ideas to my project.

Using build 0018 I didn't have problems compiling the code.

Congratulations!

• 1 month later...
Would love to see an update, including a FTS.

The array is still running really well and coral growth has been good. The best results under the LEDs have been a hammer coral that has grown from a small 2 headed frag to a large coral with 15-20 heads and the Organ Pipe which is now about 12" accross even though I must have already taken 20 frags from it. I also had a small (2"ish) plating monti frag thats grown to about 8" accross.

Ive had an issue with the tank recently when the cross-brace came away from the front glass which required part-draining and re-siliconing and meant I had to remove the skimmer. As its been running skimmer-less for a while (going back on this weekend) the tank is not looking its best with some algae etc but I'll post an updated FTS as soon as the tank is back to normal.

Hey dave,

I have a quick question.

First off, thanks for all the info regarding this controller.

Would a touchscreen, for instance on sparkfun there is the PSP screen with touchscreen, be able to work with this controller?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8335

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8448

Second would a prebuild RTC module like this one work in place of building the RTC module?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10160

Also, since Flygremlin hasnt responded to this thread in over a year I figure i might ask.

How is the meanwell support for the R14 code? Is it now plug and play? or is there some code I have to manipulate to get it going?

Thanks

Hey dave,

I have a quick question.

First off, thanks for all the info regarding this controller.

Would a touchscreen, for instance on sparkfun there is the PSP screen with touchscreen, be able to work with this controller?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8335

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8448

Second would a prebuild RTC module like this one work in place of building the RTC module?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10160

Also, since Flygremlin hasnt responded to this thread in over a year I figure i might ask.

How is the meanwell support for the R14 code? Is it now plug and play? or is there some code I have to manipulate to get it going?

Thanks

Hi,

The controller and code would need modification to work with a different screen. There have been quite a few meanwell builds using this controller. There is a variable in the code to switch between buckpucks and meanwells because the PWM value needs to be inverted.

Hi,

Do you have any pics of the LCD intégration in the tank cover ?

The most anoying question for me to résolve is to find a way to put the LCD so that it would not be awful.

Thanks

(sorry for english)

Hi,

Do you have any pics of the LCD intégration in the tank cover ?

The most anoying question for me to résolve is to find a way to put the LCD so that it would not be awful.

Thanks

(sorry for english)

I decided not to keep the controller in the hood as I liked the clean look without it so its remote from the fixture via a cable. If I was going to mount it so that it showed through the fixture I would probably use some sort of aluminium or plastic surround with the neccesary holes cuts/drilled and buttons glued on where neccesary.

Archived