Pod Your Reef

*sigh* Stupid Starfish

revaltion131

revaltion131

I was sick of paying out the ass for sand-sifting starfish the size of quarters for my Harlequin Shrimp. He had been feeding on a linkia when I bought him over a year ago, so I decided to spend an extra couple of dollars and get one of the linkias the store had. Long story short, the linkia's too strong for the shrimp and instead of trying to return him, I think I'd just like to keep him. The tank it's in is a 125 that's young, even though it's an upgrade from existing tanks. If the consensus is that it's still unlikely it'll last long, I'll just try chopping off legs.

Has anyone kept a linkia for a long time (more than 6 months) and if so, how have you done it? Did you feed the star anything? Has it dropped any legs?

I'm not sure about the linckias, but my friend keeps a chocolate chip starfish in his refugium and chops off a leg to feed his harlequins.

revaltion131

Yeah, mine won't touch CC's. I believe it's a specific endemic that doesn't recognize them as a food source. Otherwise I would have gone that route a long time ago. Thank you, though.

revaltion131

Well, the update is that I tried breaking off a leg and failed miserably. However, it put the star back on the sand and the shrimp is on it now...after I already went out and caved, buying an SS for it. If it gets away again, I'll toss in the SS (waiting in a tub of used sand currently).

Archived