Top Shelf Aquatics

Lou's 65G Hexcellent Hexagon

louphoenix

Sick shots, man. So what's your dosing regimen with all those sps? I've been tracking mine and while calc slowly bleeds off day to day, alk really seems to take a dip each day.

Thanks! I dose 10 mil. of Calcium and Alk daily. 5 mil. of aminoacids (reef plus) weekly and 15 mil. of Magnesium bi-weekly. That combination seems to have struck a a good balance for my corals so far. I also run the refuge on a reverse lighting schedule, which helps maintain PH stable. I also like to open the windows when it isn't sweltering hot, which also helps with PH stability.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

great tank lou!

dont cha just love that red planet acro? ive got one too and its one of my absolute favs.

How did you arrive at the 10ml amount? Test every day for a week or something? That's what I've been doing so far.

Pretty much so. It took a few weeks of testing while increasing the dosage amount to match depletion.

great tank lou!

dont cha just love that red planet acro? ive got one too and its one of my absolute favs.

Thanks !!

Yeah, the Red Planet is a crowd pleaser! ;)

acropora1981
Sick shots, man. So what's your dosing regimen with all those sps? I've been tracking mine and while calc slowly bleeds off day to day, alk really seems to take a dip each day.

I find the same thing. Sorry to hijack, but I find that using an ATO w/buffer dissolved in it has solved this issue, keeping my KH stable around 10. Calcium drops slowly all week, and then I just boost it once a week.

I find the same thing. Sorry to hijack, but I find that using an ATO w/buffer dissolved in it has solved this issue, keeping my KH stable around 10. Calcium drops slowly all week, and then I just boost it once a week.

No problem, hijack away. I don't have the room for an ATO, so I manually dose C-Balance each day. Personally, i'd rather do small CA/ALK doses every day to avoid big swings. That's worked out well so far, not to mention that it kinda 'forces' me to maintain the tank on a regular basis.

I run an ATO. You just dose the top-off up to the calc/alk levels you target? That doesn't cause you to overshoot those levels if the depletion rate varies?

I run an ATO. You just dose the top-off up to the calc/alk levels you target? That doesn't cause you to overshoot those levels if the depletion rate varies?

Perhaps. But I'd rather overshoot slightly than under-dose the tank. Although I don't test my water as often as I used to while I was adjusting the dosage, the level results have been fairly steady each time I test.

Add your hex to the hex list thread here :)

COOL!! I'll do that this evening. There was another Hex, I believe the name was Chyendra (or something like that)... haven't seen an update from her in ages though.

thanks, I remember that thread, found it a while back. I'll add her to the list too.

edit: Thanks found her thread and a few others, I'm to lazy (and not ocd enough) to wade through 11 pages of search results at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
animalmaster6

This tank is incredible! Absoutely Stunning!

I love that Red Planet.

Those Starbursts are really looooooong!

A++++++ tank

This tank is incredible! Absoutely Stunning!

I love that Red Planet.

Those Starbursts are really looooooong!

A++++++ tank

Thanks for checking in and the kind words. The red planet is one of my favorites, along with the Joe the coral and the pearlberry.

The starbursts are stretching their necks because the monticap is hogging up their light... not for long though, i'll be relocating the monti very soon.

any recent tank shots?

Hey, Thanks for checking in. No new shots to speak of..... been really busy, but will post some updates soon. :happy:

acropora1981

What I do is basically I've figured out about how much buffer my tank needs in a week; I've also figured out about how much water evaporates in a week. Then I fill my resevoir with the amount of water for a week, and add the amount of buffer for a week. That way my tank is constantly, about 4 times per day, getting little bits of buffer. My calcium dips by about 40-50 ppm every week. So on Sundays (usually) I bump calcium up by about 40-60 ppm manually.

I should probably stop being lazy and do that. I know both those variables so it won't be hard to do. Maybe I'll set it up this weekend when I wc.

acropora1981
I should probably stop being lazy and do that. I know both those variables so it won't be hard to do. Maybe I'll set it up this weekend when I wc.

It's been working really well for me for about 10 years ... I can actually leave the tank this way for about 2 weeks (if I use an extra big resevoir) with absolutely no problems or reduction in growth rate... Very convenient. If I leave some pre-dissolved calcium solution, and a 50 gallon resevoir, I could probably leave it for like 2 months no probs if I get someone to come and add the calcium solution every week, and maybe a bit of a feed. I can't imagine how people do reef aquariums without auto-top-offs. I want to put an ATO on my damn freshwater tank as well actually lol. Its just tetras and some easy plants, but man I hate topping it off.

It's been working really well for me for about 10 years ... I can actually leave the tank this way for about 2 weeks (if I use an extra big resevoir) with absolutely no problems or reduction in growth rate... Very convenient. If I leave some pre-dissolved calcium solution, and a 50 gallon resevoir, I could probably leave it for like 2 months no probs if I get someone to come and add the calcium solution every week, and maybe a bit of a feed. I can't imagine how people do reef aquariums without auto-top-offs. I want to put an ATO on my damn freshwater tank as well actually lol. Its just tetras and some easy plants, but man I hate topping it off.

woah two months! thats what I'm looking to do with my tank. I just have to figure out how to put an ATO on my tank and find room for the reservoir.

Archived