Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lou's 65G Hexcellent Hexagon

louphoenix

Clean setup. I always enjoy seeing sumpless HOB only tanks like mine that are doing well :). What's the depth of the hex out of curiosity (sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread)?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the 300 just the same as the 600 except for gph?

And the media chamber. It is considerably larger in the 600. It's a nice plus.

Clean setup. I always enjoy seeing sumpless HOB only tanks like mine that are doing well :). What's the depth of the hex out of curiosity (sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread)?

Thank you! Your tank is looking very good too. Yours is under a 250 w Outer orbit right? I've been thinking of going 250 myself.

My Hex is also 30 in deep. When I thought about the layout of the rock work I wanted to prevent things from falling all the way down, so I shelved it so that the widest flat pieces are at the bottom and they get smaller as they reach the top (kinda like a sort of xmas tree), so if things fall, they'll likely stay on the shelf below. I also have a pair of lightweight long prongs to flip over the occasional diving astrea.

Thank you! Your tank is looking very good too. Yours is under a 250 w Outer orbit right? I've been thinking of going 250 myself.

My Hex is also 30 in deep. When I thought about the layout of the rock work I wanted to prevent things from falling all the way down, so I shelved it so that the widest flat pieces are at the bottom and they get smaller as they reach the top (kinda like a sort of xmas tree), so if things fall, they'll likely stay on the shelf below. I also have a pair of lightweight long prongs to flip over the occasional diving astrea.

Yep, I'm running a 250. You should definitely bump it up to the 250w if you're 30" deep. Same depth as mine and it's great, I grow SPS 3/4 of the way down and the stuff up top loves it as well. I really need to get some prongs for my very frequent forays into the tank to pull stuff back up from the bottom. If you checked my thread out I'm sure you can imagine. Would be nice to have shelves like you ;) .

Yeah, the prongs help a lot. This 'from the top' picture helps to illustrate what i'm talking about... You're looking at 5 levels of shelf here:

IMG_5579.jpg

haha thats a pretty cool sea hare, and the duncan and other corals are amazing!

Thanks !!!

Rolling fields of green and blurple

IMG_2595.jpg

Never thought I needed any encouragement to spend $$$, but your thread is certainly greasing the wheels. Picked up some chemipure elite...

Never thought I needed any encouragement to spend $$$, but your thread is certainly greasing the wheels. Picked up some chemipure elite...

I'm glad to be of help :P

Good call on the Chemipure Elite... now that's the stuff! are you running it on a reactor or a media chamber?

I was going to stick it in the ac70 on the hex. Might have to split the bag in two, not sure I can fit that whole thing inside with everything else that is sitting in there.

wow is that the red planet? An amazing coral, gotta get me one of those :D

Yep, that's the Red side of the planet.

Sick shots, man. So what's your dosing regimen with all those sps? I've been tracking mine and while calc slowly bleeds off day to day, alk really seems to take a dip each day.

Archived