ReefCleaners.org

Deep's 14bc with LED lighting

deepdvnarq

my tank has been great, loving the LEDS.those leds make crappy corals look good. got a nice birdsnest and an acro, but the acro started RTN today.looks like montis zoa and chalice will be headed my way, no acros for me anymore. hear ya on the DSLR, they are, as shown by your camera, more expensive than necessary in quite a few cases. those macros are sweet, and great other pics. plus for the DSLR the file sizes are outragious, a Jpeg from my camera is 7 megs :o

oh and btw how do i get the diy led badge in my sig?

my tank has been great, loving the LEDS.those leds make crappy corals look good. got a nice birdsnest and an acro, but the acro started RTN today.looks like montis zoa and chalice will be headed my way, no acros for me anymore. hear ya on the DSLR, they are, as shown by your camera, more expensive than necessary in quite a few cases. those macros are sweet, and great other pics. plus for the DSLR the file sizes are outragious, a Jpeg from my camera is 7 megs :o

oh and btw how do i get the diy led badge in my sig?

you got yo get the badge from the gawd himself. and thanks for the compliments on the camera and shots. i really do like it. the file sizes are almost the same size though. i got to mosey on down to your thread to see if you got anything new. i love those LEds too. but i think in my case it is obvious. im going to retro fit my eyes with LEDs too.

• 2 weeks later...

well i reearranged a few things and added some more shroomand AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! :rant: ...i discovered what have been bothering my corals! red planaris.......red flatworms. i have already after an estimate from this morning pulled out about 700 of those suckers. flatworm exit just came in and will be doing that next week. will post the new pics soon. im just pissed becuase it didnt notice them earlier.

have you thought about getting a sixline for the flatworms?

Also..how'd you acclimate your corals to the LEDs? My brackets are almost done.. just got to remember to bring in the screws so we can get the size of the holes correct.

have you thought about getting a sixline for the flatworms?

Also..how'd you acclimate your corals to the LEDs? My brackets are almost done.. just got to remember to bring in the screws so we can get the size of the holes correct.

yeah i thought about a sixline but they are 50/50 on eating the FW and also 50/50 on becoming jerks or staying peaceful. in a 14gal tank that doesnt leave much room for hiding. i also thought of getting a blue velvet nudibranch but that is the only thing they eat. so when the flat worms are finally decimated it will starve to death...they are very beautiful though. also i wouldnt know how long it would take to naturally get rid of them. they are really out of control now and i dont think i could wait for nature to take its coarse on that. (which is what i really prefer) so salifert flatworm exit seems to be the answer, nuke the entire tank to get rid of them and then repeat the dosage one week later incase there were any unhatched eggs.

acclimating the corals were easy, just dim the lights down and turn it up little by liitle every 3-5 days. i started with the blues 3/4 and only 1/4 for the whites. i got up to 1/2 for the whites, then full blast for the blues, then just worked on the whites till it was all turned up. i dont adjust the LEDs to any new corals unless i see them in distress, then i just turn the whites and blues half way and work up again. the half way marks are purely guesstimates. most of the times, new corals that you get from a good LFS are already acclimated to high lighting so that is usually not a problem for me.

okay here are some pics of the little red devils and some new pics.

red planaris or also known as those f******ng bad flatworms. they really dont harm but there shear numbers disburb the corals that they stay closed and eventually die. also, when the FW die, they release a toxin further complicating the ordeal. here's the pic

2009_10160024.jpg

and here's some updated pics of the tank and the new shrooms

2009_10160017.jpg

2009_10160025.jpg

2009_10160023.jpg

2009_10160022.jpg

2009_10160020.jpg

2009_10160021.jpg

2009_10160019.jpg

2009_10160018.jpg

2009_10160026.jpg

2009_10160027.jpg

2009_10160028.jpg

well i nuked the tank with Flat worm exit and about 1000 of the critters came crawling out of every nook and cranny! it was crazy. the stuff works great and starts working instantaneously. i had no ill effects on the corals or other inhabitants. after about 30 minutes, the clean up crew looked a little under stress and ome corals. i did a major water change while i siphoned out the dead FW, added fresh carbon, restarted the tank. everything was fine again and in no time the corals that have been closed for awhile were bigger than ever. i will retreat the tank in a week. a few days went by and i did see some survivors, but not in mass like before. FWE WORKS WELL. just follow the directions exactly and you should have no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

well it took a second heavy dose of FWE, but i think i got them all. it been a week and no sign of them anymore. one more treatment in another week just in case.

on an update note, i finally got the brain coral i wanted and added a pink pipe organ and some candy canes again. i think i'm done with corals in this tank. i will let everything else grow out.

also, soon to come will be a cpr HOB fuge. just for more water volume and i'm going to try and mod it with a skimmer. a LED fuge light is in the works too. :happy:

i ended up trading my 3 gal eclipse hood (led retro...... thanks blue panda!) for the fuge. of coarse a new updated fts is soon to come.

LOL you

AtomicBomb44.jpg

The flatties.

You do know you coulda always hired this dued fro 15 cents a day to stand in front of your tank and skered the hell outta the worms dontcha.

toothless_freak_show.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well after i nuked the tank with FWE, i thought i was down to just one last treatment. i was terribly wrong. i needed to do 4 of them because i had so many and possible eggs. here's a pic after the second bombing.

2009_11060001.jpg

this was just after the first 2 minutes. plenty more of them came out.

so here is an updated pic. some of the corals are still pissed off from the water change and a turkey baster blasting and my new additions. brain, and acans. also some better pics of the zoa's i have. an ID would be great if you care to leave one.

FTS

2009_11060182.jpg

more of the same zoa's. what's the one toward the bottom?

2009_11060178.jpg

the green ones are growning too!

2009_11060177.jpg

orange acan with blue zoa's in the back...name?

2009_11060176.jpg

pink pipe organ

2009_11060175.jpg

i forgot to take pics of the other acan.

damn! i forgot to take pics of the new candy canes too

more of the same zoa's. what's the one toward the bottom?

2009_11060178.jpg

I dont know but I have those also. In fact you must have gotten part of my rock because I have all the exact same zoas on mine lol. Glad you got your flat worms under control. I have some clear flat worms but nothing major and they only stay on the glass and eat algae.

:lol: you guys are too funny!

on a side note......

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

guess what i found last night.............

more flat worms!

after 4 treatments!

and i got to get rid of the vermetids too. the mucos nets are irritating some of the zoas and gsp!

i might just go natural predator this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow deep I love this tank. It looks different from any other tank I have seen. That mushroom rock is very cool. Just so you know I started, as promised a thread on the new tank with LED lighting you made. I am glad you got those flat worms under control. I have a serious green hair algae problem in my 29 gallon and I am getting really close to resorting to chemicals to kill it off.

Wow deep I love this tank. It looks different from any other tank I have seen. That mushroom rock is very cool. Just so you know I started, as promised a thread on the new tank with LED lighting you made. I am glad you got those flat worms under control. I have a serious green hair algae problem in my 29 gallon and I am getting really close to resorting to chemicals to kill it off.

thanks! i'm going to search for your thread now! on the gha, just raise your mag to around 2000-2200 until it all goes away. you might get an explosion of coraline as a bonus too. that's how i got rid of mine in both tanks. chitons works well too from reefcleaners.

• 1 month later...
Any new pictures? Going this long without pictures has to break some kind of rule. ;)

no pics, but i can describe what it looks like.....green glass with lots of coraline...and guess what, nice big new RED FLATWORMS! its nuke time again. the corals are okay just havent had time to really care for the tank in detail. i'll take pics tonight and show everyone what happens during the madness of the holiday.

Archived