Coral Vue Hydros

jokercykoe's 12" tank

jokercykoe

hey, looks great so far, but the maxi 1200 might not be a good choice. i have a biocube 14 and picked up a mj1200 for 10 bucks off craigslist. but after a little research people said that it runs really hot and will easily heat up the temp on such a small tank.

so i put it in my tank of fresh sea water to keep it circulating in between water changes and it heated up my water overnight.

alot of the bc owners seem to have success with the mj900 though.

-tj

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pic of t shirt in tank in your first post prz :ninja:

Done B)

Water is still cloudy from the sand yesterday, plus theres a thin film over all my equip/front and side panels from the sand. -_- You can kind of see the rockwork though so I'm deciding on my aquascape. I like option B better. To me it seems more aesthetically pleasing, but option A seems like there's more usable space. With option B there is a little piece of the top that sticks out of the water.

Aquascape choices

A)

3947576221_9ae4f7b5e0.jpg

or

B)

3948359022_c6af64e2ac.jpg

With the pump off, water level drops in the display. Here's a picture of something on the rock.

3947576669_b062f95e94.jpg

Water level with MJ1200 + locline Y split (One aimed at the front panel). Scary high, but looks great and I've been keeping an eye on it and everything seems good.

3948372436_6ecf77d1b1.jpg

The MJ1200 pumps water so fast out the backchamber, I have to keep the water level pretty high back there or else the cascading water into the pump chamber causes microbubbles.

Let me know which rockscape you prefer.

I really dig the second scape with what looks like a single rock pillar. It really makes the tank look larger and has some great coral scaping potential.

Thanks for the input. That's the one I like as well.

Nice rock! I have to agree I think B has a lot of potential. My water level is really high too!

I hope I don’t find a pool on my floor when I get home from work!

Cleaned up some of the front panel, plus the water cleared up a bit more. Now you can get a better idea of what the rockscape looks like.

3948541774_96459f6674_o.jpg

Do B, and in the future maybe get a plate and other lps to fill up the open bottom.

Sounds good.

Diatoms galore. Dusting of brown on the rock and sand. Looks like I'll be picking up or ordering my CUC this weekend.

Sounds good.

Diatoms galore. Dusting of brown on the rock and sand. Looks like I'll be picking up or ordering my CUC this weekend.

+1

John from ReefCleaners sends out my CUC Monday.

ahhhhhh the diatoms ! lol, i see you decided to stand the rock up ;)

Yeah decided to keep the rock standing up. Moved it over to the left today because I can't really view the tank through the left side of the tank anyways. This leaves me more empty viewable room on the right to work with, plus a lot more surface agitation as the rock doesn't take the brunt of the flow.

Also picked up 3 astraeas, 1 nassarius snail, and a zoa frag yesterday. Will be doing a water change today then I'll take an updated FTS.

Decided I couldn't really justify the cost of shipping when I was going to order such a small CUC.

Decided I couldn't really justify the cost of shipping when I was going to order such a small CUC.

If you need any more let me know I'm just up in LA, I got a TON of extra snails and mangroves from John.

If you need any more let me know I'm just up in LA, I got a TON of extra snails and mangroves from John.

Will do, thanks :) Nano-reef community rocks! So after some burn in time, I've come to the conclusion that the fishneedit 14k bulb is not blue enough for my tastes. Anybody have any recommendations for 70w bulbs? Dang gotta start saving money for it.

Will do, thanks :) Nano-reef community rocks! So after some burn in time, I've come to the conclusion that the fishneedit 14k bulb is not blue enough for my tastes. Anybody have any recommendations for 70w bulbs? Dang gotta start saving money for it.

XM 20k is what I'm running in my 70w JBJ Viper.

Archived