Pod Your Reef

MedRed's 5.5 Gallon ADA Mini M Pico

MedRed

Thanks Cody!

just keeping it simple. topping off this tank is really easy with RO water. I'm only using live rock rubble in one container and the coarse sponge in another. Most of the containers are empty. I'm performing water changes directly through the canister. I just close the shut off valves, quick release the tubing, take the whole thing to the bathroom, dump the old water (inspecting for anything desirable trapped in the canister first), pour in the new water, and connect the entire thing back together.

Got ya, you just have an enclosed canister sump rather than a canister filter in the fresh water sense. A lot of people start off with the filters and have nitrate problems, but it sounds like you've got that problem out of the way.

So, well done on both accounts, the tank and the canister ;)

• 2 years later...
albertthiel

With lots of space in this tank you have many choices of what you can add IMO. Don't overcrowd though is what I would suggest so whatever you add can grow out and in a few months you can then decide whatever else to add to the tank. Going too fast and adding too much right from the start is IME a mistake that is often made. Slow is better but requires patience ... but eventually going slow seems to work better for most hobbyists and avoids tank crashes due to overpopulation or the sudden die off of a coral added that does not make it and pollutes the tank rapidly ... I seem to remember that John Tullock used to recommend the slow approach just as I do. Good luck. Looks good.

Albert

i have dubbed this tank "The Theatre." The big rock in the back reminds me of a back drop... and the two smaller rocks to either side are stage props. My goal is to keep as much water volume in the tank as possible. I already know evaporation can be a mother in this tank. The more water... the better I can address such issues.

r9pn9s.jpg

2s964pw.jpg

wunq7q.jpg

I may try for a few different color morphs or star polyps for the back wall. I'm not sure what variety of xenia I'm going to want to add. I should be able to isolate it to one rock. I'm thinking some blue clove polyps sound good too. as for livestock? who knows?

With lots of space in this tank you have many choices of what you can add IMO. Don't overcrowd though is what I would suggest so whatever you add can grow out and in a few months you can then decide whatever else to add to the tank. Going too fast and adding too much right from the start is IME a mistake that is often made. Slow is better but requires patience ... but eventually going slow seems to work better for most hobbyists and avoids tank crashes due to overpopulation or the sudden die off of a coral added that does not make it and pollutes the tank rapidly ... I seem to remember that John Tullock used to recommend the slow approach just as I do. Good luck. Looks good.

Albert

Thanks Albert. I never got this tank off the ground as I had to move. It was retired. Only the 60 Solana is up and running now.

• 10 months later...
NanoReefAquariums

Cool little system. Your other tanks are absolutely incredible and I have featured them on my site.

Link is in my sig

Archived