DBT's School Reef

DBTReefer

Poll for Stocking  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you pick

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3

So have you decided on a tank yet? I would say you should try and narrow things down.

Is you tank going to have overflows for a sump? I'm assuming it wont since you said you want a refugium, which means you should go with a hang on refugium. Which i suppose you can make out of an aquaclear but most of you students wont be able to see into it very well to look at the macro algae gowing within it. I would say look for some cheap ones that you can buy online.

Are you looking for 65G still?? Keep an eye out on craigslist a deal is bound to come along. I think you should look at getting a standard black rim tank with an oak stand. I think this will work best for you money wise and the black trim will still look really nice with the oak stand, if it doesn't you can always paint it a color which is close to that of the stand for a few buck (spray paint will look the best.)

Anyway let us know what your status is.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So have you decided on a tank yet? I would say you should try and narrow things down.

I have decided to go back to the 55 long (48")

Is you tank going to have overflows for a sump? I'm assuming it wont since you said you want a refugium, which means you should go with a hang on refugium. Which i suppose you can make out of an aquaclear but most of you students wont be able to see into it very well to look at the macro algae gowing within it. I would say look for some cheap ones that you can buy online.

i am gonna use the ac 110. That should be fine, and I shall show the club on a "behind the scenes" tour. Should be fun!

Are you looking for 65G still?? Keep an eye out on craigslist a deal is bound to come along. I think you should look at getting a standard black rim tank with an oak stand. I think this will work best for you money wise and the black trim will still look really nice with the oak stand, if it doesn't you can always paint it a color which is close to that of the stand for a few buck (spray paint will look the best.)

I found a good stand/canopy set. it would be so much cheaper. I have to talk to the school about purchasing this week. I am running late on my schedule!!!

Anyway let us know what your status is.

• 2 weeks later...

thought my 350th post should be tank related so...

I am waiting on a quote from the LFS for all of my equipment, except for the ato and the aquaclears. The owner is a family friend so she is giving us a great deal on everything. I should hear back from her soon.

Militant Jurist
thought my 350th post should be tank related so...

I am waiting on a quote from the LFS for all of my equipment, except for the ato and the aquaclears. The owner is a family friend so she is giving us a great deal on everything. I should hear back from her soon.

Excellent! Can't wait to see some photos! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So I just heard back from the LFS owner. She is giving me some great deals. Tank, Stand, Canopy, Heater, sand, and 50 pounds of dry rock for $700! I am gonna talk to her about getting some powerheads and other equipment. She doesn't carry aquaclears or the ATO, so I'm gonna have to look somewhere else. I'm gonna talk to her later today about finalizing the first part of equipment.

PikesPeakReef

Dose your school have a wood shop ? im sure if it did ,it could build the stand and the top and save you alot of bucks. That way you could spend more on the tank!!!!

Just working out some last minute problems right now. Lights aren't that important atm. I had midterms last week so running behind!

I got some coral over the weekend from a friend. He said he would be more than welcome to donate xenia, leathers, montipora (intense pink under actinics), and pocillopora (wonderful polyp extensions!!!)

• 1 month later...
ximmortaldeathx

Taggin' along..

my HS was pretty depressing, teachers had no passion for anything, my marine biology teacher was too caught up in her divorce to care about anything else. GO TROJANZ!.. not.

Those cool lights are not available until January. I called aquacave last night. So, I was looking aroud on the forum and saw how maria has a catalina aquariums t5 ho light. I asked her some questions about it and she said it was an overall good light for the money and the reflectors weren't that bad too. So I called CAtalina aquariums today and the said they could have a 4 bulb retro to the school for $175 shipped without bulbs. I was gonna buy new bulbs anyways. So, I was thinking 2 blue +, 1 uvl super actinic, and a ge 6500. Good combo? Thanks

Archived