Coral Vue Hydros

Mirage's10 gal, DIY 15"x15"x10" almost cube.

MGDMIRAGE

Tank will be 10 gallons - 15"x15"x10". Shallow SPS reef, either t5ho or 150W MH will be the lighting. Undecided on fish if anyone has any ideas :)

More updates to follow, will start putting everything together this weekend.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2x Koralia Nano ordered.

1 18" Extreme Nova SLR T5HO x2 ordered. may double up on these if the coverage is not enough for the 15" width.

nice man im also setting up my tank this weekend, i ordered my glass yesterday just like you ha looks like were on the exact same trail lol, my tank is going to be 24x16x8 a 13 gallon shallow and im putting k nanos and the same light on it haha.

nice man im also setting up my tank this weekend, i ordered my glass yesterday just like you ha looks like were on the exact same trail lol, my tank is going to be 24x16x8 a 13 gallon shallow and im putting k nanos and the same light on it haha.

sweet! can't wait :) will definitely track!

I finally got around to picking up my glass, the guy scraped the edges to take off the sharpness too, i didn't want my 2 children ending up 4.

glass2.jpg

Glass.jpg

Also i checked tracking on my Drfostersmith order and it says delivery date 17th! 11 days from when i ordered it, sheesh.

Oh and two days ago i ordered a RO/DI unit finally, delivery date is the 10th :) i'm sick of grocery store water trips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good! Are you going to be adding a sump to this?

Nope another one of my funky DIY refuge setups :) Which i'm still in the planning stage. I do plan on this being the best refuge setup i've made so far though.

The tape is on and the tank is ready to be put together and siliconed... one question remains. What type of silicone? clear or black? I'm pretty torn, i love the look of the black silicone and i also like the look of transparency.

Clear. Well thats my opinion.

I am preeety sure your going to need to double up on the lights.

Is this going to be a view from the side only tank or a view from above like a tidepool tank?

Clear. Well thats my opinion.

I am preeety sure your going to need to double up on the lights.

Is this going to be a view from the side only tank or a view from above like a tidepool tank?

front and both sides viewable. Large desktop nano..

O ok. Cool. For a fish, I would recommend a perching fish. Or for something more active maybe some type of blenny? I have always like starry blennys...

I'm torn. If you can do a perfect silicone job, go black. If it's going to be anything less than stellar then go clear.

You're definitely going to have to double up lights.

This is just like mine. I two just ordered my first RODI unit. my tank is 19x19x12"

Here's what your in for(though I build my tanks kinda different)

dscn2622.jpg

This is just like mine. I two just ordered my first RODI unit. my tank is 19x19x12"

Here's what your in for(though I build my tanks kinda different)

dscn2622.jpg

That's gorgeous giga!

Well i officially hate silicone lol. Pictures tomorrow most likely. This tank may become my 20L's fuge if i'm not happy with the work. Nothing went according to plan, i had it all mapped out and tons of preparation, ugh.

Well i'm all done with the building of the tank besides the fine cleanup. What can i use to get the hazy silicone left over from razorblade scraping off the glass? and will be safe to use on the inside glass too?

SDC11404.jpg

Also how long before water test 24 or 48 hours? or the full 72 hours?

I definitely chalk this one up to a learning experience, i attempted to lay all the seams at once and then press them with finger, well that was a bad idea because the bottom seam had already started to set! Next time i'll do the bottom seams and press with finger, then start on the side seams.

ok so i built my tank and it leaked :( so i'll redo it, but i'll give u some advice

GO FULL 72 HOURS the more the curing the better and less chance of leaking, i did mine for 1.5 days and what do you know it leaked lol, so now im in the process of redoing it :P kinda really sucks.

but go full 3 days or more if u can, and then 1 or 2 days leak test.

On the 3 tanks I've done so far I've done the silicone in the afternoon and water tested on my dining room table the next morning; if I wasn't 100% sure it was good I would have taken it apart and cleaned it and tried again while the silicone was wet B) Plus its way more fun that way lol.

ok so i built my tank and it leaked :( so i'll redo it, but i'll give u some advice

GO FULL 72 HOURS the more the curing the better and less chance of leaking, i did mine for 1.5 days and what do you know it leaked lol, so now im in the process of redoing it :P kinda really sucks.

but go full 3 days or more if u can, and then 1 or 2 days leak test.

I hope mine doesn't leak i very much don't want to mess with silicone again for awhile :D

I'm almost there, at 5 o clock today is 72 hours. Soo tough since i'm horribly impatient hehe.

I waited a full week before testing mine. Just make sure you can't smell any vinegar fumes(means it's still curing)

Good advice thanks :) i liked your thread over on RC too. I love the compare and contrast you are going for with the freshwater planted tank vs reef tank.

On the 3 tanks I've done so far I've done the silicone in the afternoon and water tested on my dining room table the next morning; if I wasn't 100% sure it was good I would have taken it apart and cleaned it and tried again while the silicone was wet B) Plus its way more fun that way lol.

I plan on lining all sides of tank with paper towels and testing it for 1 or 2 days and if the towels are totally dry(please be dry!) i'll redo.

Also my toys from Doctor Foster and Smith got here today. Finally!

Untitled-1.jpg

I took the koralias out and they are adorable, way smaller than i thought they would be. Also i love the light its super bright!

closeup.jpg

The best part, this is one of the new SLR versions of the light, doctor fosters is one of the only places i've seen have it so far. I may order a second one today, these are awesome. I only wish they had integrated moonlights, ohwel i'll customize it with my own.

Well the water test has begun, 2 hours so far and no leaks evident! Beginner's luck? At this rate i may get this setup by monday or tuesday.

Archived