Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another DIY LED fixture

M@rine_lover

M@rine_lover

Just a few questions about your light fixture:

1. Do you have any full aquarium pics of you tank?

2. What is the dimensions of the aluminun plate?

3. What is the spacing between LEDS?

4. How far from the water surface are the LEDs?

5. What degree of optics are you using?

6. Do you notice any spot lighting in your tank?

Thanks

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
M@rine_lover
M@rine_lover

Just a few questions about your light fixture:

1. Do you have any full aquarium pics of you tank?

No at this moment. will take once I get hold of one good Digi cam.

2. What is the dimensions of the aluminun plate?

L430 x W320 x H3 mm

3. What is the spacing between LEDS?

>1.5 inches

4. How far from the water surface are the LEDs?

4~5 inches

5. What degree of optics are you using?

40 degree optics len

6. Do you notice any spot lighting in your tank?

So far no spot lighting noticeable.

Thanks

Hope I answered your questions :naughtydance: .

M@rine_lover

Hi all,

I have received many PMs regards to my white acrylic casing layout and it's tedious to reply all :scarry: .

To the benefit of all, I will post my layout here :happydance: .

Bear in mind that this Lite casing was designed for 2ft tank :owned: .

ACL1-1.jpg

ACL2-2.jpg

ACL4-1.jpg

M@rine_lover

I do not have a good camera like DSLR and also lousy skill on photography :wub: so here is my best shot with Sony DSC-H7 camera. Actual scene is much much brighter and nicer than my picture taken except the nite scene :P .

Here some FTS update.

Nite scene

Nitescene.jpg

With Blue and white LED lite on

CloseFTS-1.jpg

DSC02370.jpg

Favia_white-1.jpg

Prata1-1.jpg

GSP-1.jpg

TubeAnemone.jpg

Blue.jpg

RGBN-1.jpg

M@rine_lover

Have ordered some LEDs from dealExtreme and Cutter last year for this upgrading project and after 11 days waiting, I have finally recieved all the stock today :lol: .

Here are the pictures.

SSC P7

SSCP7.jpg

CREE XP-E Royal Blue

XP-ERoyalBlue.jpg

CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3 in series

3xRoyalBlue.jpg

Great build man! I was just wondering how your temps have been with just using that aluminum plate I know you said things are within specs a few pages ago, but I'm assuming its been running for awhile now and you have more long term testing of the temps still running well??

Do you think your array will last many years with just that plate and do you think you would need fans at all if you used a large heatsink instead of just the plate?

M@rine_lover
Great build man! I was just wondering how your temps have been with just using that aluminum plate I know you said things are within specs a few pages ago, but I'm assuming its been running for awhile now and you have more long term testing of the temps still running well??

I have been using it since August till now, temperature still maintain around 71-73 degree :happy: .

Do you think your array will last many years with just that plate and do you think you would need fans at all if you used a large heatsink instead of just the plate?

I think if I follow the manufacturer requirement spec right, I dun see why my fixture wouldn't last a few years lol :P !

Regards to heatsink, whether large or small..Fan is still a must unless your fixture is open concept which air is free flow :D .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
M@rine_lover

After pending for more than 4 months -_- , I decided to carry on my new LED project and finish it before end of this year. I'm doing 2 LED panel modules for my 2ft cube tank and this can be upgradeable to 3 or more modules if I decided to upgrade my tank to bigger at the later stage :eyebrow: .

I have almost completed the drilling, tapping, screwing, soldering, polishing...for the first LED panel module :D !

Ok...Here are the Spec per LED Panel and picture of my partial work done;

4x SSC P7,Pure White, 12W LED

13x CREE XPE Royal Blue 3W LED

Total Watt : >80W

DSC09344.jpg

DSC09345.jpg

DSC09349.jpg

DSC09360Small.jpg

DSC09383.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
M@rine_lover

Fired the one of the LED module after completed the wiring. :groupwavereversed: !

I will box up the module once received the acrylic sheet within this weeks then follow by fabricating aluminmum stand to hold this 2 LED modules if time allows.

Stay tune for more pictures :eyebrow: .

JAWzTwist1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

i would of used a bigger sized drill bit for the side ventilation holes. it seems like it will create too much restriction for the fan to effectively cool down the heat sink.

M@rine_lover
i would of used a bigger sized drill bit for the side ventilation holes. it seems like it will create too much restriction for the fan to effectively cool down the heat sink.

Hi bro,

I think 38x6mm holes should be sufficient for 22cfm fan to suck the hot air out of this small box(17x23cm). IMHO, bigger hole size will look weird on such small box and also weakening the support of acrylic sheet :happy: .

M@rine_lover

Just done some mod on the lighting module :P .

1.Relay the wire and wire guide added.

2 Reposition fan and added plastic fan guard with filter to assure child proof n also prevent dust choke.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Jawz, this is amazing, I haven't had a fishtank in 2 years and this makes me want to come back.

Are you going to be making fixtures for the public? These are probably the cleanest fixtures I have seen.

PM me if you want to sell :)

These lights will just be for a ~30 gallon rimless tank I'm planning to set up by the end of this year, probably hang the pendant.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I have received many PMs regards to my white acrylic casing layout and it's tedious to reply all :scarry: .

To the benefit of all, I will post my layout here :happydance: .

Bear in mind that this Lite casing was designed for 2ft tank :owned: .

ACL1-1.jpg

ACL2-2.jpg

ACL4-1.jpg

Where did you get the stuff to build the white and the black hood ? I want to do a black and just cant seem to find the items like the things you used to join the acrylic pieces together.Also what do you use to cut the acrylic with?

To get it done right, you will need to contact a plastics supplier to get the material, and the parts cut accurately. Hit the yellow pages. It won't be cheap though.

• 1 month later...
Mr. Microscope

I gotta know, what are you using to assemble the acrylic? I saw some screws, but there has to be some glue in there? I'm especially curious since it is holding up the weight of the glass and heat sink of your first white light.

Archived