Pod Your Reef

D3monic's Reef

D3monic

my hats off to you for trying to breed these fish. have you any that have grown up? you must have done some serious research about these fish? what do you feed the fry? when you bought the fish did you make sure they were eating prepared food? I'm setting up a 30 gallon upgrade and would love to have one of these. I had one back in the day (16 yrs. ago) and of course it died, but i thought it was THE coolest fish.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my hats off to you for trying to breed these fish. have you any that have grown up?

No not yet unfortunatly. Constant issues. food source crashes and ect.

you must have done some serious research about these fish?
Yes I did and continue to do. I spent probably 6 months researching these fish prior to setting up my first reef tank.

what do you feed the fry?

Ciliates and Rotifers. The ciliates occure naturally in my cultures.

when you bought the fish did you make sure they were eating prepared food?

They where not eating prepared foods when I bought them I had to train them onto frozen foods. I did make sure they would atleast eat live brine when I purchased them Never concider buying one with the intent of training it if it will not accept live brine even. Live brine will be a fall back until it will accept foods.

Img00004.jpg

Finally caught a spawn on video. I had to cut it short because the other fish think its thier snack time. Speaking of which a wrasse definatly makes things alittle more difficult. Fast little buggars.

Finally caught a spawn on video. I had to cut it short because the other fish think its thier snack time. Speaking of which a wrasse definatly makes things alittle more difficult. Fast little buggars.

I think they need their own tank! Awesome video though.

I would keep them in there. Flashers may go in the 75gal once I finally set it up. I got my Skimmer that I won from eshopps today check it out.

IMG_0130.jpg

Im thinking I should plumb it into the nano what do you think?

Looks like I wont be getting any pics for awhile. When I first put him in he was right next to the tunnel I have for him...I went to set the net down on my desk and startled him. Hes now in the big cave and has allready dug a tunnel =( I tried to get pics and they dont turn out. Hopefully he will relocate. Nothing like a $100 fish you cant see.

:(

hopefully he moves out... what i would do is not put much food near him, then hopefully he moves to a different spot where he thinks he gets more food.

also are you going to get new mandarins soon? and how is the fry doin?

No fry. I am getting more mandarins but I am holding out for the perfect pair. My LFS is calling me every time they get a order in. I am going to pick the prettiest ones I can find. I have seen lots of them alot prettier than the ones I had. There was a male a few weeks ago that was solid red minus a couple blue streaks. Then there was a female several months ago that had yellow fins and a solid yellow face with a blue diamond on her snout. I want to get a exotic pair like that. I resisted the urge to get a RSB. If I do get some it will be from a different store.

Archived