inTank Media Baskets

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

True, this may sound incorrect but technically we own the tidelands and anything on them, even including eelgrass. We are actually Working with UW and trying to conserve the native populations. Believe me what we are doing to help outweighs whatever unmeasurable dent taking a few nems (talk to Jamie, they are everywhere, almost a nuisance the white ones are) and other critters.

There are only a few sites that I know of that sell stuff for CW, and whenever I check them they always seem out of stock.

Haha it actually looks pretty good,and I have extra stuff, just in case a friend wants to start one up. I will post updated pics soon.

Really Mirage I didn't know that. I always thought a little pumpkin seed bluegill in a tank would be awesome.

They are cool lol. I had one 10 or so years ago, had him for two years with Oscars and a convict, he was pretty and fit right in with the cichlids.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taste delicious too, but I could never eat a pet :)

Well my tank is looking better. I am waiting for the big nem to attach to the glass before I take more pics, he keeps rolling away in the current haha.

In Oregon, to collect invertebrates you must have a shellfish license. The rule is 10 non-food invertebrates per person per day, but there are certain protected areas that are illegal to collect from. Some animals, like abalone and urchins, have more specific regulations because they are harvested for food.

I actually have several licenses. Shellfish, fish,crab/seagrass and hunting. So I think with that and being on our property I think I am legal. The collecting was also spread out over one week.

Ya theres some cool abalone species up here in the sound but the best one is native to the area and extremely protected because they are close to extinction. Its cool because my dad has seen everything possible, helps me know what should be touched (as in taken home) and what shouldn't.

Haha finally you commented. The tank is looking better by the way, the nems are moving (slowly) to their permanent places.

I think I am gonna send Jamie some this fall, and I guess I might send you a few :)

You guys will need to tell me how to ship, I am thinking box with water and some dry ice, then overnight. But I really don't know.

Edit: Hey Lani do you think this would do better in the biotope forum? (like you suggested before)

More pics, plz!

I haven't shipped any coldwater stuff, so Jamie should know more.

And that's up to you. The thread would probably receive the same amount of attention in the biotopes forum... they aren't exactly the most popular tanks. :lol::P

But more of the coldwater keepers would comment, probably.

I will post more pics once everything (mostly the nems) don't look pissed off at me haha.

Ya could you move it to the biotopes for me?

Ya I know my tank doesn't look amazing but no ones appears to be commenting (I mean other coldwater keepers, besides you and Jamie), hmmm....

Well I guess I will talk to him about shipping.

My experience with coldwater shipping is very limited. Definitely don't ship them with dry ice though, that would be way too cold. Conventional icepacks are good. ;)

Basically, get a styrofoam box, double or triple back whatever you're sending with plenty of water (the bag should be about half air, half water, and fully inflated, so nothing gets squished. Put the bag in the styro box, fill with packing puffs, put an icepack on top and seal it up.

And don't ship in the summer. Hot is bad for coldwater things.

Haha ya I guess that would be too cold wouldn't it?

I guess that makes this even easier because I won't be getting more until later, like in the fall. And I found out that spiny lumpsuckers go into the shallows more often in the winter (into the Eel grass beds!) so my chance of finding one will be better.

Well I guess I gotta bring back a lot of dusters for you guys!

Has anyone said how nice your feather dusters are? :P

I like that striped crab. It's shell looks just like a psychedelic frogfish.

See I was wondering about that. I think yours (and maybe Jamies) are leaning more towards temperate, than cold cold. When I was up at my cabin in the puget sound the water temp was 53. I have my tank at 55. I am sure they can surive but they aren't really tidepool critters, I get them from buoys and docks. (they are always a foot from the surface though...

Thanks Lak! I have been going to my cabin my whole life and that is the first time I have ever caught a crab like that. I caught a ton of other cool invert (especially nudis) that were very interesting.

I think, technically, coldwater refers to areas above the arctic circle, temperate refers to the area between the arctic circle and the Tropic of Cancer, and tropical Tropic of Cancer south to the equator. Same goes for the southern hemisphere, but replace cancer with capricorn.

The way people use it referring to tank temperature, imo goes like this:

tropical: 73-85

temperate: 63-72

coldwater: 50-62

There's not really a definite line, because many animals live in both temperate and coldwater zones, sometimes even tropical. Strawberries live from Alaska down to Mexico. A xanthogrammica goes all the way south to Panama. So, you can have a coldwater tank and a temperate tank at 10 degrees apart, but keep all the same animals.

Archived