inTank Media Baskets

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear! Thanks guys. Now that it's* starting (or is) to become stable it will be a lot easier to stock next time I go up to my cabin.

I can't wait to see what you get the next time around. I am so jealous you have access to the coast to be able to get stuff.

Haha I am glad I have this access too. I love the place, I have been going there since I was little. Its been in our family for over 80 years so my dad has been going there since he was little too, this tank is his favourite because of that too.

Here a pic of the beach (its in front of the cabin, which is up to the right). The cabin is also over 80 years old, no TV internet etc. I love it there.

Sorry for the crappy pic, its with my cell.

0524090758.jpg

Ya it is...usually. That was during the winter (I know it was February and nice lol) so the water is flat, usually there are waves from ferries and other boats.

Thanks again lol.

Ok just did some tests, my tank is under control!!!! Yay! I am gonna post some more pics because everything is open and happy!

yay! It's looking good. Watch out for those shore crabs, they'll climb outta the tank if they can. My mom found mine crawling down the stairs one day!

Haha my dad found one just yesterday all the way downstairs too!!!! I really like them though, I have the orange one and a redish green one for sure, a little white one is still MIA.

I am glad everything is happy. Means the tank is ready to support a spiny lumpsucker!!!!

Haha yea, the hard part. But I know they come into the shallows when it gets colder (the fall and winter) . As for keeping it alive while I am up there I am thinking put it in some sort of little cage out in the water, like attached to a buoy, I know that sounds mean but then its in the purest and least stressful water possible. I will feed it everyday while its out there too, but I am sure they like most fish can go for a while without eating. My dad caught one when he was younger (along with some other little critters*) and while they were all in the bucket the lumpsucker ate them. So (confirmed by Wombat) I am pretty sure I will be able to keep him well fed. Whew theres my plan now I just need to find one.

Hopefully you will find one.

And here is also hoping your MIA white crab doesn't end up stinking your bedroom up some time. That would suck.

But gotta love that huge nem.

Haha yea that little crab will be nothing, when I had that die off it smelled terrible. I love the ocean and have been around it my whole life...and it was bad haha. I love the nem too, I am glad it is doing so well. They seem to be pretty tough, hes been peeled off of rock and glass several times haha. Doesn't it kinda look like a bubble tip? Well kinda anyway.

I am really hoping to find one, I might be able to top Jamie's tank if I find one :P

I dunno. I would ask Jamie haha. I am trying to figure out if its a little bit photosynthetic, it would be cool if it is.

Also, I AM GETTING A CAMERA!!! pretty soon anyway...

Well it may be a little, but however you have your tank set up right now it seems to be happy so keep doing what you are doing with it.

I guess they live down to as deep as 100 feet so I am starting to think they aren't photosynthetic.

I am really happy with the tank, I mean I had some die off but now that it is stable its pretty dang cool.

Ya neither can I. The problem is I won't have a macro lens yet ($$$$$$$) so the pictures will be mostly FTS. I am also a DSLR noob so it will be fun* to learn.

Well if you have a zoom lense with it, as long as you stand back and do a bit of a zoom you can get some decent upclose shots.

Also for macro lenses, check on ebay for some decent cheap ones. My mom got an awsome set for her Canon DSLR camera that just screws on over the reg lense like a UV filter. It works great! I keep on tryint to convince her to let me borrow her camera.

Cool. Well my dads friends daughters are big into photography (think college scholarships) so I might be able to get, or borrow a few lenses from them. Albeit their cameras are worth over 3k and they have a lens worth over 1k but it will be a fun experience haha.

Its not really a zoom lens either its just a basic 18-55 mm. I may be able to take some pics but they won't look as good as Lalanis for example. Also, you use photoshop right? I am gonna need to learn (and buy eek $$$) to use it down the road.

Archived