Pod Your Reef

What is the best soft coral for a clown fish to host in??

Iphantom

Clowns will choose anything to host and it's something they will do naturally.

Some host powerheads, some the seam of the tank, some leathers, others lps. Some nothing. 

My one pair host a frogspawn the other pair a toadstool (but only at night with the toadstool)

I've had clowns host a leather and piss it off so much that it stopped openly.

They can damage corals and irritate them when hosting.

• 5 months later...
debbeach13
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2003 at 3:22 PM, JPF said:

Remove "Saddleback" from the above post and put in "Tomato" and that is very close to my experience. It would be fun to have a big beautiful green carpet but I am afraid it would eat my tomato clowns (is that unlikely?) or I would kill it.

It is very unlikely that a carpet anemone would eat a tomato clown. I had a carpet for 21 years. It hosted 3 different pairs of clowns. oh and a domino for awhile. 

On 11/8/2003 at 9:31 PM, Infiniti said:

mine host the powerhead.

Same but now they moved to my fish innovative marine fish feeder thing LOL

SingingSiren

Same here, I have two clowns with multiple options to host anemones, and different types of coral. They prefer to swim at the top of the tank in the back, left to right all day long. If I add something new or change the rock a bit, they'll come down and check it out, but then go back up and stay in they're preferred spot.

Is there a way to get them to host something, or just wait and see approach?

I have 2 picasso clowns that both host in a fake anemone.  It's hilarious to watch.  As soon as the Actinic light goes out, they head over to the anenome and wedge themselves in for the night.

Clowns_Medium_Moment (2).jpg

• Haha 1
squamptonbc

I have had clowns find a host with power heads, rocks, large mushroom corals. torch corals, and xenia along with an urchin once that was funny to watch...lol

I really hate the zombie thread but, you all know that clownfish don’t host anything other than parasites right? They are HOSTED by anemones. Jesus Christ, it’s like people saying “octopi”! Keep being dumb! Fake News! @Jono knows what I mean. 

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I really hate the zombie thread but, you all know that clownfish don’t host anything other than parasites right? They are HOSTED by anemones. Jesus Christ, it’s like people saying “octopi”! Keep being dumb! Fake News! @Jono knows what I mean. 

Like when people "could care less"...

or say octopi....dangit. 

• Like 1
Sexy Shrimp
On 5/20/2018 at 2:37 AM, 1891Bro said:

Thread spoiler!