inTank Media Baskets

What is the best soft coral for a clown fish to host in??

Iphantom

gargoyleexotics

Actually, that is not true. Clowns will often try hosting in many surrogates. In fact some people have clowns in their tanks that will go into just about everything but the anemone they have purchased for them.

We had a true perc for awhile that used to host in a frogspawn and I have seen a number of clowns hosting in large toadstools (ocellaris, maroons, and akindynos are the ones I have witnessed hosting toadstools in person).

Originally posted by brahm

I think it's few and far between for clownfish to host in anything but anenomes, although there is a thread on here with all the strange stuff they host to.

mine host the powerhead.

• Haha 4

Mine was getting cozy with my heater *sighs*. However while at the LFS the other day I found a gorgeous BTA and bought it hoping that the clown would go to it. Within 2 hours of being in the tank the clown was rolling in it.

Remove "Saddleback" from the above post and put in "Tomato" and that is very close to my experience. It would be fun to have a big beautiful green carpet but I am afraid it would eat my tomato clowns (is that unlikely?) or I would kill it.

both my clowns went right for the frogspawn.before that,they were both hosting the giant hawian feather duster.but once i got the frogspawn the went right to it the next day....besides frogspawn are pretty hardy and they look awesome!one of my favorite LPS.

My tomato clown hosted in a long tentacled plate coral for a few days before I realized it was getting stung. I bought a long tentacled anemone and it started going back and forth between the coral and the anemone. Now it lives in the anemone full time.

Reefer Buddha, I'd like to know why you think they are so hard to take care of. As long as you have good water quality and it gets fed sometimes (clown usually does it) it shouldn't be a problem.

I used to be intimidated by all the horror stories, but now I don't understand what my problem was. It also helps to research the needs of different anemones that are available to you so you can pick one that will suit your tank the best.

the answer: none

its not beneficial for the clown or the coral, the clown can get stung, and the coral can get beat up. my roomates xenia hosted with his maroon, and killed it in about 4 days. and alot of people will tell you xenia is a damned weed ... well this fish kills weeds.

i am definitely not a tank nazi, in fact i bought a large hammer coral in the hopes that it would host with my false perc ... it hasn't so far, and im glad it hasnt.

anenome's are generally bad to get because they are almost all captive caught, and thats not a good thing. if you can find a clone, then go for it.

So do you guys think a frog spawn is the way to go?

whats a good idea for placment since it will be the most aggresive coral in my tank

how long are there sweeper tenticals?

-thanks

-Matt

Mine loves my hairy shrooms. In fact if I could host it I have a video showing how much he loves them. And this has caused no negative effects to the shrooms. He sleeps in them at night and hangs around them all day.

unsped - the purpose of the clown nuzzling slowly (like your's is doing) is so he gets stung (in small doses)....they want that....overtime, their mucus no longer causes the anemones nematocyts to "fire" and they'll be deep in the anemone. Furthermore, there is a books (of course I can't remember the name) that talks about the symboitic relationship between clowns and anemones. The clown get protection and the anemone get fed......

The situation with your buddies xenia is different because they aren't the natural host.

Alot of people get clown to host in condys (like littlefishee), and this is odd because the condy is an atlantic anemone, while clowns are pacific. But who the hell knows.....mine like the upper left corner with the heaters!!!!

I'm new to nano-reefing (just set up a 12gallon). We have a 90G reef and a 16G cube. The 90G has 2 true percula's that host in a tree leather. The 16G cube has a clarkii that also hosts in a tree leather. The are MUCH easier to keep than anemones!

• 14 years later...

I have two clowns, and the one has decided to host my Pom Pom Xenia.  I purchased a Frogspawn about 6 months back in hopes he'd take to that, but instead my Pom Pom that seems to grow like a weed.  I've had to frag this many times just in the one year I've owned it.  They used to close when the clown would host, but it seems to have gotten used to him rolling around.  I've also had my female clown host the powerhead.  They'll host just about anything they take interest to.  Clowns are "funny" like that.  

clown hosting Pom Pom.JPG