Top Shelf Aquatics

Bonsaii Frag Tank-Back Up! sortof

akabryanhall

akabryanhall
Please do not get me wrong. I too would say you get an A for effort and innovation. My only concern is that the foam you used might leach things into the tank...

Hey Urchin, sorry none of my rants were directed at you at all, you showed concern about certain aspects and

gave ways that you thought might improve things. Advice the way it should be delivered. The leaching I had hoped to take care of by epoxying the surface to seal the foam from the uv, otherwise it would break apart. If I had to do it over, I would have used black pond foam and been more careful about the shape of the foam especially around the edges.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hhhmmm Too bad i was kinda interested in it. A+ on the idea but im not a fan of foam walls and such. Id say dont give up. Do what ever you want. I personally like the idea you had. So it may not be as "efficient" as far as racks but it gave you something curvy and untradtitional to look at. I think it would look really cool if/when its covered in coraline.

+1 on the acrylic rods and egg crate.

Avon Barksdale
EPIC??? This has gotta be a joke....

What and your pile of rocks in your tank look any better!! All your post are annoying bro

akabryanhall
Hhhmmm Too bad i was kinda interested in it. A+ on the idea but im not a fan of foam walls and such. Id say dont give up. Do what ever you want. I personally like the idea you had. So it may not be as "efficient" as far as racks but it gave you something curvy and untradtitional to look at. I think it would look really cool if/when its covered in coraline.

+1 on the acrylic rods and egg crate.

Thanks man, I'm thinking of redoing this, but without the foam at all. May do some stuff with acrylic, davidr offered me some acrylic rods (thanks again man!) , maybe shape some acrylic sheets into something cool.

Not giving up on this, but may just do something simple.

I sent you a message bro. B)

PM returned, I think I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks man, I'm thinking of redoing this, but without the foam at all. May do some stuff with acrylic, davidr offered me some acrylic rods (thanks again man!) , maybe shape some acrylic sheets into something cool.

Not giving up on this, but may just do something simple.

PM returned, I think I will take you up on your offer.

Yeah I liked that platform Idea that this design had You just need something other than the foam to hold it. If you buy some cheap acrylic say 1/8 or 1/4 in and cut it to strips about 1-1 1/2 wide its very easy to bend with a heat gun and make shapes to tie rock too, maybe with zip ties or some thing.

Thats how I formed the bracket for my ATO.

akabryanhall
Yeah I liked that platform Idea that this design had You just need something other than the foam to hold it. If you buy some cheap acrylic say 1/8 or 1/4 in and cut it to strips about 1-1 1/2 wide its very easy to bend with a heat gun and make shapes to tie rock too, maybe with zip ties or some thing.

Thats how I formed the bracket for my ATO.

Thanks for the idea steve. I had already started working on another theme, lost the foam altogether. Let me know what you guys think..

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

The two spires to the left and right will have racks on em as well, but I am waiting a day or two until the putty and glue fully cure.

Oh and I'm getting a 3 foot T-5 light system from fish need it, should be here within the week!

It nice that you kept the grate area bare, good for holding the plugs. Still, light penetration can be an issue- esp. with them being right on top of another.

What and your pile of rocks in your tank look any better!! All your post are annoying bro

Actually yes and as you can see by the comments on my thread people do enjoy it.

Amen to that brotha.

I'm not a huge fan of the rock in my tank, but its certainly no "pile of rocks" as dip$hit said.

I think OP should drill the tank and scrap this whole idea... too many people want to be "different" even if it means conjuring an abomination of some sort.

Avon Barksdale
Are you going to put this where people can see it?

EPIC??? This has gotta be a joke....

:slap: With quotes like these you sounded like a mark!! Did you really need to leave those comments....At least Kraylen offered some kind of advice....

Better be careful. Avon dip$#### is gonna get all over you and start dissing your tanks that aren't full of egg crate.

You must not like your tank....Even if you had a beautiful tank I would of said what I did....But at least I know I ruffled your feathers....

If it makes you feel better at the end of the day...Your tank is better than mine..

Wow you two just don't stop. You can't just let the cat do his thing without putting him down? There's a difference between giving advice and being a D***.

Wow you two just don't stop. You can't just let the cat do his thing without putting him down? There's a difference between giving advice and being a D***.

Valid point. I mean come on though...the crate is never going to get covered totally and it just looks funky, bonsai or not.

:slap: With quotes like these you sounded like a mark!! Did you really need to leave those comments....At least Kraylen offered some kind of advice....

You must not like your tank....Even if you had a beautiful tank I would of said what I did....But at least I know I ruffled your feathers....

If it makes you feel better at the end of the day...Your tank is better than mine..

Damnit, I just smoothed those feathers out too!

It's all fun and games people. This is reef keeping, not quantum physics.

My criticism may not be constructive, but i'm not off base...

akabryanhall
It nice that you kept the grate area bare, good for holding the plugs. Still, light penetration can be an issue- esp. with them being right on top of another.

Thanks Vanh, I did the bottom layer on purpose for low light corals and NPS corals.

Good show mate! Well done! Much better than the danger of that foam!

Thanks man, preciate the compliment!

That looks alot better. Your vision is starting to take shape now.

Thank you steve, a little left to do, but I am much prefering it this time.

Just making an observation!

:P

You're right it does look like a maxi pad

I think OP should drill the tank and scrap this whole idea... too many people want to be "different" even if it means conjuring an abomination of some sort.

You may have friends and people who like you, but no one respects a know-it-all

Why didn't I get a quote?!?!

Seriously though, consider finding some super flat, skinny rock and drilling it. You'd get the same effect without the plastic look. It's going to be very difficult to conceal the white plastic and in the end I think you'll dig it more.

Bryan, just make a normal frag rack out of eggcrat it will look so uch better and work a lot better. Just shove rock in under the racks. make sure to spray it black , it looks better and stops it from leaching.

akabryanhall
Why didn't I get a quote?!?!

Seriously though, consider finding some super flat, skinny rock and drilling it. You'd get the same effect without the plastic look. It's going to be very difficult to conceal the white plastic and in the end I think you'll dig it more.

Didn't have anything worth quoting till this tbh

I originally wanted to have racks that you could both put plugs in and lay tiles on top of. One of the reasons why I took down the original, I never got around to drilling in the foam. I am ok with seeing the racks, almost any frag tank you look at you can see the crate, I just wanted to try a different version.

I love the positive advice that some are giving here, and must say that I'm a little surprised at just how personal some people make their comments...I mean if dude wants to do something different maybe we should all shut up and watch to see what his vision is...after all, I can remember people getting bashed for having the audacity to think they could keep stony corals alive in an aquarium....

Come on guys...just play nice....It seems to me that the attitude of some is that if you don't just follow the trend like another mindless sheep, that you need to be chastised...

akabryanhall
Bryan, just make a normal frag rack out of eggcrat it will look so uch better and work a lot better. Just shove rock in under the racks. make sure to spray it black , it looks better and stops it from leaching.

Thanks for the advice Nick, I have already glued the stuff in, hopefully can keep any blooms that happen under control if caught early enough, unlike my cube lol.

I love the positive advice that some are giving here, and must say that I'm a little surprised at just how personal some people make their comments...I mean if dude wants to do something different maybe we should all shut up and watch to see what his vision is...after all, I can remember people getting bashed for having the audacity to think they could keep stony corals alive in an aquarium....

Come on guys...just play nice....It seems to me that the attitude of some is that if you don't just follow the trend like another mindless sheep, that you need to be chastised...

Thanks Mitch! Wait.. stony corals in an aquarium?!

Archived