ReefCleaners.org

Streetsong's Biocube 29 Mixed Reef

streetsong

Just added a green acro with red polyps and a starfire monti. The acro had been mounted on the top rock near the middle. But where to put the monti...any thoughts?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking about putting adding some duncans, allowing them to acclimate on the sand and then moving them up about halfway. Too much light with my LEDs? Any help?

I added a frag of duncans today. 7 polyps (4 really big).

post-45694-1286845965_thumb.jpg

Also, I'm thinking of removing a fish. My Cardinalfish is getting nipped at. Although I think that my Sixline Wrasse is the guilty party, I'm considering removing my Longnosed Hawkfish. Here's why: He's grown fairly large for the tank (about 2 inches), I can't have invertebrates in the tank because he would eat them and I could use a Peppermint Shrimp due to a growing Aptasia problem, and I'd also like to have a clam, which he would nip at. ...any opinions?

Based on another thread that I started yesterday and the advice that I received, I have decided to remove both the Sixline and Hawkfish. I will replace them with a more peaceful wrasse such as a Flasher, Fairy or possum. I't gonna be fun trying to catch the sixline!

Big changes this weekend- Friday I captured my Sixline and Longnosed Hawkfish. Both have been traded for a Blue-sided Wrasse who is now in QT- I'll have pics of the new fish soon. I don't plan on adding any more fish. Since my hawkfish is gone, I have added 3 peppermint shrimp to help with my increasing number of aptasia (Aptasia-X is not cutting it any longer).

I also reaquascaped and added a 5" Crocea clam. Your comments, ideas and help are always welcomed!

post-45694-1287356673_thumb.jpg

I just ordered an Aquaticlife Mini-Skimmer 115 for this tank. I have had issues in the past few weeks with crud on my sand and back row. I have cut back feeding and shortened my lighting cycle, so hopefully this will help!

Thanks, Spanko. That's good to hear. I did some reasearch, but to be honest, the price was the big selling-point on the Aquaticlife Skimmer.

• 3 weeks later...

First, I just emptied the cup from my new Aquaticlife 115 skimmer for the second time since I installed it two weeks. Both times it has looked about like this (more full the first time):

post-45694-1289528925_thumb.jpg

It is working great so far, I'll post if anything changes.

Second, I have been unhappy with my aquascape recently since it only fills the bottom half of the tank. I purcahsed some new live rock today with the goals being to add visual interest to the tank and to create new spaces for branching/tabling SPS. Please share your opinions!

post-45694-1289529123_thumb.jpg

Just a couple new pics from different angles after yesterday's re-aquascape. Any comments? Feedback? Questions? Opinions? Anything?

post-45694-1289608716_thumb.jpgpost-45694-1289608747_thumb.jpg

I love your set-up. I have been researching AIOs, and my plan would be exactly what you have. Livestock looks really healthy. How has your coral growth been with the LEDs?

Thanks, jsleep. I love my LEDs. So far the growth has been good. I've been struggling with low magnesium for the last few weeks and I believe that has slowed down growth, but before that I was noticing consistent growth- especially SPS.

A sad update today: My blue-spotted jawfish, Herman died at some point last night. He somehow made it over the fish-guard and into the first back chamber. He got sucked into the pump and that's where I found him this morning. Have you ever had those frustrating moments where you feel like you can't do this hobby anymore? That's how I'm feeling right now. Very upsetting.

Sorry to hear. I've been there, and I got out. I'll tell you: don't do it. I've been "out of the hobby" for only 3 months and it's been brutally tough. Now all I think about is getting back to it.

That said, I would be in favor of you getting out and selling me your set-up; I would carry on the legacy for you.

Thanks for your encouragement, jsleep. I bounce back pretty easily, so unfortunately I won't be able to sell you my setup (this time). ;) I added a McCosker's Wrasse yesterday. (We call him Mr. McCosker.) He's pretty shy at this point, swimming close to one corner of the tank.

post-45694-1290892855_thumb.jpg

Here's a new FTS taken on 11/27/10:

post-45694-1290892918_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your encouragement, jsleep. I bounce back pretty easily, so unfortunately I won't be able to sell you my setup (this time). ;) I added a McCosker's Wrasse yesterday. (We call him Mr. McCosker.) He's pretty shy at this point, swimming close to one corner of the tank.

post-45694-1290892855_thumb.jpg

Here's a new FTS taken on 11/27/10:

post-45694-1290892918_thumb.jpg

Nice addition.

Quick question: I know you added a moonlight to your set-up. Is there any way to re-hook up the original BC moonlights after the LED install?

Good question, jsleep. I'm sure there is a way to do it but it would require some rewiring since the original wiring harness gets removed during the installation process. The thing that I like about the R-2 moonlight is that it can be easily tilted to direct the light to the front or rear of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

My birthday is this Sunday and my dad is determined to replace my recently deceased jawfish. He is not a hobbyist but would always spend time watching that fish. I think its a nice gesture but I'm not sure if I'm ready for another one. Maybe a pearly jawfish? I can't stand to lose another $150 fish- even if I'm not paying.

Just found a Blue-Spotted Jawfish at an LFS here in Denver for $100- about 2" long. Good price? I have him on hold, planning on picking up tomorrow.

Archived