inTank Media Baskets

Streetsong's Biocube 29 Mixed Reef

streetsong

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I'm still waiting for my Pearly Jawfish to come in at the LFS. Then 2 weeks of quarantine, but I'm in no hurry. Anticipating the addition of a new fish is part of the excitement. I added a PVC jawfish house last week in preparation.

Here's a FTS with all three fish, including my new Midas Blenny. I've never been able to get my fish to pose as nicely before.

post-45694-1294189857_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted for a while. Here's a quick update and a FTS. I finally got my alkalinity, calcium, magnesium issues in check. I began a weekly three part dosing regimen to address these issues about a month ago. Everything is stabilizing again, hair algae has disappeared and coraline algae is beginning to grow again. SPS corals are also showing nice growth. I had plans to add a Pearly Jawfish but decided that he would probably tangle with my Midas Blenny. Instead, I added a single Perc. Clownfish.

Here's an FTS:

post-45694-1298596224_thumb.jpg

I always appreciate any comments or suggestions!

Thanks Ross! I purchased the barnacles at a local LFS. They would work for a jawfish house, but I think a PVC house is even better. Google "Jawfish PVC house" for more info.

• 3 weeks later...

Its time to step this tank up a notch. I just installed a Vortech MP10 yesterday. I also picked up a welsophylia brain at the "Reefstock" convention here in Denver. My excitement level is ramped up! Pics will be posted soon.

Thanks Ross! I purchased the barnacles at a local LFS. They would work for a jawfish house, but I think a PVC house is even better. Google "Jawfish PVC house" for more info.

Im gonna do this exact thing when I get a Jawfish. I hated having them always messing up the sand, so this is perfect. Thanks!!!

Its time to step this tank up a notch. I just installed a Vortech MP10 yesterday. I also picked up a welsophylia brain at the "Reefstock" convention here in Denver. My excitement level is ramped up! Pics will be posted soon.

Nice pickup with the MP10. WE WANT PICTURES!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a small disaster today but it easily could have been a HUGE disaster. The screws holding my Nanotuers 5.1 LED kit attached to the hood came loose. Subsequently, the heatsink fell against the plastic splashguard, which melted two tiny holes in the splashguard and blew out two of my Edison royal blue strips. It's a good thing I was home in the middle of the day (I'm a teacher on spring break). Chris at Nanotuners is going to replace the two strips for his cost- $25 per strip. He won't have them in until the middle of next week so I hope my corals will make it until then. This sucks!

Chris at Nanotuners said that they have had a handful of customers with older hoods experience this. He added that if the screws are any longer, the hood could crack. I just got some screws that are slightly wider (if they are too wide, they won't fit through the provided spacers).

I suspect that the heat emitted into the hood caused the plastic to expand because I had the same issue two weeks ago and tightened the screws then. I'm a bit perplexed by the whole thing!

Here's an update since the LED disaster earlier this week: Oceanic is sending me a new splashguard free of charge and they're even shipping it overnight. I just called the toll-free number and talked to Brian- outstanding customer service. They understand how to keep their customers happy in the long run.

As far as replacement Edison strips from Nanotuners, I just paid $50 and they will send them out sometime next week.

While I'm waiting for my 2 new blue Edison LED strips to arrive from Nanotuners, I thought I'd share a pic of what my tank looks like without blue on the left side. Cheers!

post-45694-1301444842_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Cam! My replacement splashguard arrived the other day from Oceanic. Again, I can't say enough about the great customer service on the phone. They shipped me a free replacement and it arrived in two days.

Still waiting for Edison strips from Nanotuners.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for my replacement Edison strips from Nanotuners. It's been 2 weeks longer than promised. I have said it before and I hate to say it again, but: Their products are great but the amount of time I have waited to receive products is just way to long. I understand that they only have 2 employees but if they don't improve their customer service, they risk in losing business in the long-run- IMO.

Archived