Coral Vue Hydros

Streetsong's Biocube 29 Mixed Reef

streetsong

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cheryl jordan

That is because you have a nice tank, silly. Colors have always been a problem for me when I pick them for a tank. I usually end up going too green or something, but you have a nice balance with the red zoanthids, blue cloves ........ You know what I mean :)

Here's pics of the three new sps frags that I purchased for $10 each yesterday:

Green Pocillipora and Pink Birdsnest (I already had the Orange Digitata)

Lime Green Povona (Potato Chip)

and a new FTS

Thanks for looking!

P.S.- The LEDs are still doing great! Everything is big and open. Still have 4 layers of nylon screen under them.

Down to 2 layers of nylon screen under the LED's. Things are looking great and I am very pleased. Today I added a new PVC home for my jawfish under the sandbed so I subsequently had to slightly alter my aquascape. Here is a new FTS, enjoy!

I just picked up this frag of Acans, 10 heads for $40 bucks, at a LFS in south Denver called "Key's Island." I thought that it was a good deal, and they look really great under just the royal blue LEDs. In the photo, they are the ones in the front with orange eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank looks great! I hope to have my BC as full and colorful as yours as soon as possible!!

I have a question about your lights (since I'm considering the same set-up) - in your pictures, it looks like you can tell exactly where one strip of LED color starts and the next begins. (like, I see RB, white, RB, white, etc...). Is it that noticeable in person or is the camera just picking it up?

I realized after taking those photos that the strips were visible. And they were also visible in person. As soon as I removed the egg-crate that was holding the layers of nylon screen under the lights, the strips were no longer visible at all. I love this LED kit and would highly recommend it.

Oh yes! That light looks much smoother!! (it was beautiful before, but I was thinking about the same lighting upgrade and was concerned about the stripes) :)

Looks GREAT!! And I love that blue spot JF! :)

Thanks Carolyn! I'm glad that my recent FTS puts your mind at ease. I am very pleased with these LED's. Just make sure that you acclimate your tank to the new light very slowly. Since I decided not to go for the non-dimmable option, I used many layers of nylon screen.

Will do! I was planning on getting the dimmable drivers to use with my RKL, but since DA is having trouble getting the module I need to use with the lights/dimming function, I may just end up going the same route and using screens to cut the light down.

Thanks again for posting those updated pictures! :)

Sounds good, Carolyn. Just remember that without the dimmable option you are locked in to a certain color temperature. I am very happy with the bluish, 20k look of my lighting.

Here's an FTS from today. Made a few changes earlier this week: I moved my birdsnest lower since it was beginning to look bleached. I also added a green slimer acro. frag in the top right-hand corner.

After reading so many positive reviews, I made the decision to switch to Rod's Food. I had been feeding (on a rotation basis) freshwater mysis, pellets, a variety of frozen algae, oysterfeast and phtytofeast. I am excited to simplify the whole process. My fish went crazy during their first feeding today. I'll keep you posted on how this change impacts my fish and corals in the coming weeks. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this food?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sitting at home with the flu, and I can't muster the energy to do my weekly water change, which I never miss. Oh well, I guess a few days late will be okay.

I finally kicked the flu, so a trip to the LFS was in order. I picked up a blue staghorn acro for $20. I didn't realize how big it was in comparison to my other SPS corals until it was mounted. Here it is:

I picked up this healthy-looking open brain today from a store here in the Denver area called "Liquid Kingdom." They have some great bargains to be found in their $35 coral tank. This brain is about 4 inches wide and my LED's are picking up some cool yellow on the rim that I did not see under the T-5's at the store. I'm happy knowing that I got a good deal!

post-45694-1285300814_thumb.jpg

Thanks, 411! I love my LED's. IMO acros will grow under these lights. I currently have 2, but they haven't been in the tank for more than a month. Only time will tell, but right now they are open during the day and have great coloration. What really sold me on the LED's is the fact that I will never have to change a bulb again. Also, heat is not an issue, so a chiller is not needed. The key to success when you first install these lights is to slowly acclimate the tank.

Archived