Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish mouth open, heavy breathing..

PhantasticRyan

PhantasticRyan

Today i got 2 ocellaris clowns but one has its mouth open all the time and is breathing quite rapidly. I think he has small white dots on him ( not completely sure) which might be ich. The tank has nothing just live rock snails goby and shrimp. I got the clowns from a very reliable and educated LFS ( vivid aquariums). Im gonna call them tomorrow. Another question is what do you guys do before you put livestock into an aquarium to ensure that it is free of diseases etc... Thanks!

Quarantine them for 10 days in a separate tank.

I know the guys at Vivid and they are good troops. Ask if the fish are wild caught or tank raised. If wild caught then see if they will take them both back, run your tank without ANY fish for 6 weeks and then you can put clowns back in. Wild caught clowns are CHOCK full of parasites and other nasties that can kill within hours and kill any other clowns you put in the tank after that. Do a search on Clownfish disease for reference.

If tank raised you are better off but probably should take at least the sick one back if they will take it. If not you are in for a long hard road of ich treatment if its ich. If its brook aka clownfish disease then you are in for a dead clown.

Based on what you describe its most likely ich and due to the stress of the move from the breeder to vivid to you.

my TR occelaris routinely take care of themselves with ich, but they only really get 1-2 spots at a time. sounds like your clown in adittion to ich has a severe gill problem. could have been cyanide poisoning, ammonia damage, or chlorine damage. really any chemical that could burn its gills. even though you got them from a good LFS, they all get bad shipments from time to time. since you have had them such a short time, i woud either try to take them back, or see if you can get store credit. at my LFS if it doesnt live like a week, i almost always get store credit. but i am a very good regular customer. worth a try

hope the fish pulls through!

PhantasticRyan

Today the fish doesnt look good and it looks like the healthy one got ich too.... :( but my fish store wants me to take him in for an exchange.

Archived