SaltCritters.com

C Jerome's BioCube 29 Custom LED

C Jerome

You may need to add more water. I have the Sapphire skimmer in chamber 2 and I had to add water a couple of inches above the maximum line.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the questions. The coral growth is still going strong. Much better than with the PCs, the coloration however is sub par in my opinion. I think the LEDs are just too bright and or focused. Maybe they are too close to the water, I am not sure. I was thinking of picking up a sheet of that plastic light diffuser that is used in ceiling lights and putting a piece of that in there not to cut down on the intensity because I can just dial down but to mix the light more and hopefully reduce the point intensity of the LEDs.

The skimmer is doing well, check out this Skimmer Thread where I and others have been posting about the skimmer. In short it working well, still have some bubbles, set up in the middle chamber, I had to remove some of the lip of the trim that overhangs the inside of the tank to easily fit it in, it is oriented with the back of the skimmer against the back of the tank, post over on that other thread and there should be even more response.

Jerome

• 2 months later...
TheNordCelt
Thanks for the questions. The coral growth is still going strong. Much better than with the PCs, the coloration however is sub par in my opinion. I think the LEDs are just too bright and or focused. Maybe they are too close to the water, I am not sure. I was thinking of picking up a sheet of that plastic light diffuser that is used in ceiling lights and putting a piece of that in there not to cut down on the intensity because I can just dial down but to mix the light more and hopefully reduce the point intensity of the LEDs.

The skimmer is doing well, check out this Skimmer Thread where I and others have been posting about the skimmer. In short it working well, still have some bubbles, set up in the middle chamber, I had to remove some of the lip of the trim that overhangs the inside of the tank to easily fit it in, it is oriented with the back of the skimmer against the back of the tank, post over on that other thread and there should be even more response.

Jerome

Any updates? Is the tank still going?

Thanks is still running!

The color is still sub par in my opinion. I have been doing a little light reading around the site and see that other people have experienced this same color issue. I dont really know what the solution is. The coloration of the corals on the sand bed is a little better than those up high closer to the LEDs so I have been playing with the intensity in hopes of realizing some improvements with that. I will have to post some photos soon.

Jerome

• 3 months later...
Thanks is still running!

The color is still sub par in my opinion. I have been doing a little light reading around the site and see that other people have experienced this same color issue. I dont really know what the solution is. The coloration of the corals on the sand bed is a little better than those up high closer to the LEDs so I have been playing with the intensity in hopes of realizing some improvements with that. I will have to post some photos soon.

Jerome

Jerome,

Have a question for you... I am about to install an RKE + 2 PC4s and 4 modules on the shelf in the BC29 cabinet, sort of like you have/had(?) but slightly more organized ;). I don't have the tank running yet, am in the process of setting things up, so I still have an option of drilling holes in the back wall etc.. The question is, how hot in your experience do things get up there? I saw you had a fan in there for cooling, but do you really think its needed? If so, is one sufficient? Do you think things are going to fry w/out a fan? I have all the modules except for the ALC, which nobody seems to have at the moment in stock, and am figuring out how to install them. I am having an internal debate w/myslef on wheather or not I should drill/cut out openings in the back wall for cooling fans - say two 80mm fans - or a miscellaneous fan stuck somewhere in the middle and turned on at random is going to do the job.

Your wisdom and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

spacey B)

Yes the tank is still going! I have not been around much because I am working on the Nimbles! More to come on that soon...

I installed an extra shelf in my stand to hold the electronic gear, so I could still have the floor shelf for big stuff and one in the middle to hold food/little stuff. In my stand I have one hole and fan I placed on the rear wall blowing out and another near the front sitting on the shelf. I did it more so because I have the power supplies in there for the LEDs. I don't think the RKL stuff should generate much heat so you may not need any fans, certainty not two fans in the back wall. If you want to play it safe go for one 60 or 80 mm fan in the rear blowing out, it cant hurt and it wont be hard to install if the tank is not set up yet.

Jerome

Yes the tank is still going! I have not been around much because I am working on the Nimbles! More to come on that soon...

I installed an extra shelf in my stand to hold the electronic gear, so I could still have the floor shelf for big stuff and one in the middle to hold food/little stuff. In my stand I have one hole and fan I placed on the rear wall blowing out and another near the front sitting on the shelf. I did it more so because I have the power supplies in there for the LEDs. I don't think the RKL stuff should generate much heat so you may not need any fans, certainty not two fans in the back wall. If you want to play it safe go for one 60 or 80 mm fan in the rear blowing out, it cant hurt and it wont be hard to install if the tank is not set up yet.

Jerome

Jerome,

Thx, that gives me some info to chew on. I forgot that I am going to be putting two meanwells in there as well to drive 24 XREs and have no idea how hot those run. What power supplies are you running and how many if you don't mind me asking?

spacey B)

firebirdude

If you're going to run a 60 or 80mm fan, you might as well do a 120mm. If nothing else, it'll move the same amount of air but be quieter.

• 1 month later...
floridian reefer

beautiful tank!!! i love it, i have a question tho. i seen in an early post a picture of fans in your fish feeder lid, i am curious how that works to keep the temp down? do you have another in the back or do you keep it open? if you could please explain i would really appreciate it.

i havnt seen this thread since the beginnings of my research, glad to read everything is doing great! nice looking tank no doubt, do you think 60 or 80 degree optics would help diffuse the lights any and help with your bleaching/light issue? what % intensity are you trying these days?

also if you remove the 90 degree bulkhead fitting and go inline from the pimp to the outlet hole, you might have some luck with those microbubbles?

I was also wondering if the flow would be restricted if the AC115 is kept in chamber 1, are you running any chateo since yours is in chamber 2?

moar nice pics :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Two things.

One. Your nimble has been serving me well. Thanks again.:)

Two. How far have you had these cranked up? I basically have the same set up and have not really gone over halfway! Still getting growth in SPS's. I'm worried that increasing the intensity will lead to algae...

Good news about the nimble, there will be some big updates coming on that front soon...

I dont have mine turned up very far, about the same as you half way. I am seeing growth too and dont want to turn up any more because I think it will reduce the coloration of the corals. I see some better coloration now on pieces that are more to the side or shaded some.

Jerome

Do you run the blues only just before the whites turn on/off for the day? Like most people run their actinics? Or do you just have them all turn on and off together?

Good news about the nimble, there will be some big updates coming on that front soon...

Jerome

This good news, several people have been asking about them! ;)

• 10 months later...

Thanks! I really like the plates too. They have grown since my last photos. Will post some new photos once I knock out this algae I have right now.

Jerome

• 2 months later...

Thank you.

Just checked out your tank, I like the new open brain you added. I am a big LPS fan especially the small pieces like that.

I will have to add an update soon. Working on kicking some algae that moved in over the summer, once is gone I will do a photo shoot.

Jerome

I will have to add an update soon. Working on kicking some algae that moved in over the summer, once is gone I will do a photo shoot.

Jerome

Yes!

Archived