SaltCritters.com

mkregs CADLights 39 Pro Seahorse Ranch

mkregs

Totally let me know when they get big enough!

gonna be about 3 months...

I am following. I want a pair of horses.

I see that you have a 14 Biocube...do you plan on starting another tank for seahorses?

Nice tank! I love the horses!

How are the little ones?

Thanks...the fry are doing pretty well. I've had some not make it (which sucks)...but, that is to be expected. They are noticably larger/stronger every few days.

I am going to pick up a 29 gal grow-out tank this weekend and get it wet and ready so that I am prepared when I'm ready to move them into it. I think my male is already pregnant again, so I'm starting to feel like my house has become a fry factory.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to pick up a 29 gal grow-out tank this weekend and get it wet and ready so that I am prepared when I'm ready to move them into it. I think my male is already pregnant again, so I'm starting to feel like my house has become a fry factory.

you are going to potentially become a very wealthy man, mark! either that, or a very poor man with a lot of seahorses.

• 2 weeks later...

New pics:

FTS...things are growing in nicely

DSC00639.jpg

Toadstool that's been through hell. I bought this coral online several weeks ago. When it arrived at my house the water temp was 58degrees. I thought it was going to die, but since the body of the coral wasn't limp or shrivelled, I placed it in one of my tanks. After a week, there was some polyp extension. Now, it's in great shape.

DSC00616.jpg

I finally got around to securing the purple monti to LR so the snails aren't able to knock it around anymore...

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

And...the reason why I started this tank...my fertile pair of seahorses:

DSC00629.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

Mkregs,

Yes I do plan on having a Horse tank only. I have been doing some research and they need a taller tank, am I correct?

I was thinking of doing a 20 g tall or something similar. Will a 20 g work? I might want to add a few other fish so maybe a 30 cube or something would work.

The horse tank will not be ready any time soon though..

"Z"

Mkregs,

Yes I do plan on having a Horse tank only. I have been doing some research and they need a taller tank, am I correct?

I was thinking of doing a 20 g tall or something similar. Will a 20 g work? I might want to add a few other fish so maybe a 30 cube or something would work.

The horse tank will not be ready any time soon though..

"Z"

I would suggest 29g would be the minimum, but some information states 20~25 as being the minimum tank size for a pair. If you plan on adding fish, I would suggest going bigger. A 30 cube would be ok. Ideally, for H. erectus, I think you want to shoot for 20" in tank height.

Mark

Cool do you have any references to the type of setup I need? Ie I have always seen horse tanks with the grassy setup which helps them hide.

Is that a option or mandatory to have the grass as part of the tank?

Any online links you might recommend for more reading?

Cool do you have any references to the type of setup I need? Ie I have always seen horse tanks with the grassy setup which helps them hide.

Is that a option or mandatory to have the grass as part of the tank?

Any online links you might recommend for more reading?

You don't have to have a planted tank to keep seahorses, but many of us do. Not only are planted tanks great looking, but grasses and caulerpas are great places for live food (such as pods) to culture. Seahorses also use some macroalgaes as hitching posts.

If you want to get read up, then I would suggest going to seahorse.org. Some of the best captive breaders post there frequently. Look at the library on that website as it provides suggested tank setups, stocking, tankmates, etc...

Also, I would be happy to share with you what I know if you have any questions.

Mark

Wow, very impressive indeed.

I tried to keep Seahorses back in the '90's, and I know how dedicated you have to be to really do it right.

My hat's off to you.

what in the world are you going to do with these guys?

supply them to a LFS?

If I could keep them all, I would. But, as my adult pair have become a fry factory, that's not realistic. I have spoken to 3 LFS about the possibility, but there is only one of them that I can count on to educate potential buyers about seahorse care requirements. The owner of that store asked me if I would be willing to draft an information brocure that they would make available next to the tank they would set up as a seahorse tank. That's a great idea. I'm a member of another forum that is specific to seahorses and I will be asking their permission to use a great information sheet they have in their library. Ultimately, I want them to go to people who are well informed and will provide the right environment for them.

I have also had some people contact me directly and are interested in starting a seahorse tank and would be interested in buying from me.

I thought I would also contact the Toledo and/or Detroit Zoos to see if there would be any interest in me working with them to set up an exhibit for H. erectus. I would donate ponies to them.

They are beauties!

Thanks!

Wow, very impressive indeed.

I tried to keep Seahorses back in the '90's, and I know how dedicated you have to be to really do it right.

My hat's off to you.

Thanks Weety! I've got my main tank (CAD39) in a routine now. I feed PE Mysis once or twice daily. There is so much live food in there as well, so the seahorses and my mandarin hunt for that between feedings. I trim the macroalgaes and change out the filter sock weekly. There are a few different species of caulerpa in the display and refugium, so I yank some out every weekend. I do water changes in that tank every 2~3 weeks (instead of weekly) as I don't want to starve the macroalgaes.

Now, raising fry, is another story. Lot's of work. I'm getting into a routine with that too, but they do require a different level of dedication. I've had to get help from my Brother to go and check on them during the day cuz I have to work so I can pay the bills :D

YAY babies.. keep us informed.. and Good luck :) they are someof my fav fishers(got em tattooed on me .. LOL )

Tattooed? How often do you feed them? :P Thanks for the "good luck"!

Tattooed? How often do you feed them? :P Thanks for the "good luck"!

HAHA when i eat he eats.. Seahorse on my arm is same type as my avatar. If you decide to do private sales I would certainly be interested!! I had a pair of these beauties that did the nasty a long long time ago. I was so unprepared for the babies but scrambled and managed to raise 2 of em to about 1/2 in before they passed. It was a beautiful hectic hair pulling experience. (could be why i have a receeding hair line now that i think about it.

Looking forward to the updates :)

is there an update? hows the babies coming.. My wife saw me reading this thread and she said " you have to get me some! " So looks like sometime in the future I have to setup a horsey tank! .. :D

Loving this! Thanks for stopping by my thread, I'll be following along here for a while now.

Seahorses are very cool.

Thanks for looking!

is there an update? hows the babies coming.. My wife saw me reading this thread and she said " you have to get me some! " So looks like sometime in the future I have to setup a horsey tank! .. :D

The fry are doing well. Of the Jan20 and Feb5 broods, I haven't lost any in the last 11 days. That's a very good sign. If you are serious about setting up a seahorse tank, I would be happy to share with you what I have learned and what's been working and not working for me.

Mark

Once the time comes I will definately start picking your brain some .. I have some time since I will not start this until my wife is back from training .. (training could be up to a year long .. military)

Archived